Good Code Free Players

Z

Zar

Audioholic Intern
Hi all. My current DVD player while nice, does not have progressive scan nor HDMI. Some of my favorite cult movies and some concert dvd's I'm interested in getting come only in PAL region 2 format. I can get a Pioneer DVD player that's code free, has HDMI, progressive scan 18 bit converter etc. The best of both worlds? What do you guys think? Thanks.

F

frogpond1

Enthusiast
Also check out Oppo. Never heard of them? If you do a search around the various HT forums they have a cult like following and get rave reviews. Best of all they are inexpensive for a region free upconverting DVD player 150-250. We bought the 971H which has been replaced by the 981 but we couldn't be happier.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd say the Oppo 981 since it is supposed to do PAL to NTSC better than the 980.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Hi all. My current DVD player while nice, does not have progressive scan nor HDMI. Some of my favorite cult movies and some concert dvd's I'm interested in getting come only in PAL region 2 format. I can get a Pioneer DVD player that's code free, has HDMI, progressive scan 18 bit converter etc. The best of both worlds? What do you guys think? Thanks.
I have a Pioneer DVD/SACD/DVD-A player and I really like being able to watch concert videos that only seem to come in PAL. Mine is older and doesn't do HDMI but then a standard def DVD doesn't really need HDMI. Component video works just fine. Oppo is a fine brand but If I were going to spend that much I'd be buying a HD DVD player, until then my progressive scan Pioneer will do just fine.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Mine is older and doesn't do HDMI but then a standard def DVD doesn't really need HDMI. Component video works just fine.
Have you seen a good upscaling player like one of the Oppos? I have a high quality 480p DVD player and my Oppo easily beats it for picture quality.

Oppo is a fine brand but If I were going to spend that much I'd be buying a HD DVD player, until then my progressive scan Pioneer will do just fine.
What do you mean "that much"? $199 and $169 is cheap and there are no HD-DVD players at $199 new. If you haven't seen what a good upscaling player can do, then I think you are missing the point of why these players have HDMI.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, the Oppo has better PQ and color compared to the 2900. The 2900 is just for audio now :)

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Yes, the Oppo has better PQ and color compared to the 2900. The 2900 is just for audio now :)
Hmmm. Substantial enough difference to warrant an "upgrade"? (I know the Oppo is only a couple of bucks).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It isn't a night and day difference, but the level of detail is noticeable. It looks more crisp without looking artificial due to scaling. It does better with film based material than video based, but both look great. When wanting to view DVDs, the Oppo is always the choice. The audio is quite good also even for SACD and DVD-A. I bought a 970 refurb to try it out and I was impressed but the unit had a minor issue so I returned it and they let me exchange it plus the difference for a 980.

Last edited:
sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Have you seen a good upscaling player like one of the Oppos? I have a high quality 480p DVD player and my Oppo easily beats it for picture quality.
No, my TV handles the upscaling so it hasn't been an issue for me.

What do you mean "that much"? $199 and $169 is cheap and there are no HD-DVD players at $199 new. If you haven't seen what a good upscaling player can do, then I think you are missing the point of why these players have HDMI.
The Toshiba A2 has sold for as low as $199 on sale, and is available for $230-250 shipped any day of the week. If you're going to spend $200 you may as well spend $230-250 for the HD DVD player.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
The OP said he needs a region-free player and so far that option doens't exist at all with any of the current HD players.

If you have an Oppo you'll be fine, as you'll have a region-free player (all you need is to enter a code thru the remote though).

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
The Oppo products are inexpensive, not because they are deficient in some way, but because they are made in China and have no dealer markup in the price. It is like buying a high end player for a budget player price. I have the new $169 DV980 and it performs as well as any DVD player I've seen at any price.

I have HD players in both formats but I watch SD DVD's on my Oppo just because it boots so much faster than the HD players and upscales just as well. I'm considering buying a second one for my two channel audio system upstairs.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
It isn't a night and day difference, but the level of detail is noticeable. It looks more crisp without looking artificial due to scaling. It does better with film based material than video based, but both look great. When wanting to view DVDs, the Oppo is always the choice. The audio is quite good also even for SACD and DVD-A. I bought a 970 refurb to try it out and I was impressed but the unit had a minor issue so I returned it and they let me exchange it plus the difference for a 980.
Thanks j. I may consider upgrading my 2900 for the same reason.

Z

Zar

Audioholic Intern
As an additional question does the T.V. need to be able to accept the pal signal or do the converters in the DVD player do that job? I have also been looking at Marantz and while they said their players can play a different region disc they told me that the T.V. has to be compatible. Many of the players including Pioneer Elite and Yamaha to name a few say "guarantee to play on any T.V. Any clarifications? Thanks.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Oppos will do PAL to NTSC and NTSC to PAL, so I don't think it matters what type of set you have, but I can't say that with 100% certainty. You might check with Oppo directly for an answer on that one.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
According to Oppo's web site, all will do PAL/NTSC conversion but the 981 is the best. The only PAL disc I have is a region 0 version of Night on Earth that looks great on my Oppo 981.

Jim

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That's what I've read: that the 970 and 980 don't do the PAL/NTSC perfectly and that if this is the reason you are considering an Oppo, the 981 is the way to go.

F

Fred333

Junior Audioholic
I got the 981 and it has been great. I have had no problems with it.

Z

Zar

Audioholic Intern
Now that I can say you all have convinced me on the Oppo 981, i have a dumb question. I see it has HDMI but not component video jacks. If I connect the Oppo to myTV via HDMI how does my Integra receiver come in to play? via analog out or something? Thanks. Zar

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis