Good calibration discs?

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Bear in mind that we're not talking about polarity here. We're talking about adjacent speakers being in phase, which is dependent upon the delays in the processor.
That's good to know...myself, I like doing most of this by ear after seeing what the program comes up with.
Not a fan of Atmos, so most of this is moot to me.
I've never even ran Dirac on my AVR...dont feel yet like I'm missing anything.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Bear in mind that we're not talking about polarity here. We're talking about adjacent speakers being in phase, which is dependent upon the delays in the processor.
This should never be a problem if you use a laser ruler or auto set up to set distances. Keep in mind this is all perfect for one seat location only.

Last edited:
R

ReverendSlim

Audioholic Intern
This should never be a problem if you use a laser ruler to set distances. Keep in mind this is all perfect for one seat location only.
Assuming that the system applies delay correctly, that is certainly true so long as you don't have anything in the signal chain that might add delay. Given what we know about the speed of sound error in D&M products, that obviously wouldn't be true for them, though that's an easy enough bit of math to find the correct distances to input. But even with that, playing phase tests between adjacent speakers can expose that slight changes in distance can improve imaging between them at the MLP. And I think you'd agree that generally, the better it is at the MLP, the closer the adjoining seats would be to ideal.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I would say that the cognitive dissociation wired into the hearing/interpreting sound process that is human hearing, negates any errors introduced by not allowing for discrepancies in the speed of sound due to ambient air temperature.
Hey, that sounded like Star Trek technobabble !

R

ReverendSlim

Audioholic Intern
I would say that the cognitive dissociation wired into the hearing/interpreting sound process that is human hearing, negates any errors introduced by not allowing for discrepancies in the speed of sound due to ambient air temperature.
Hey, that sounded like Star Trek technobabble !
Heh... No technobabble here, sir. There's a known issue where D&M products erroneously use 1ft=1ms that MultEQ-X corrects for, but that you can sort out yourself by multiplying distances in feet x 0.889 (or 0.875 for metric). Plugging in physical distances would, in that case, give you slightly incorrect delays.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Heh... No technobabble here, sir. There's a known issue where D&M products erroneously use 1ft=1ms that MultEQ-X corrects for, but that you can sort out yourself by multiplying distances in feet x 0.889 (or 0.875 for metric). Plugging in physical distances would, in that case, give you slightly incorrect delays.
No wonder I didn't like my Denon.....I knew something was up, just couldn't put my finger on it.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I haven't tested to confirm this but I will ask Denon if this has been fixed. If this is true it would apply to ALL of the speakers so it shouldn't really be much of an issue.

R

ReverendSlim

Audioholic Intern
I haven't tested to confirm this but I will ask Denon if this has been fixed. If this is true it would apply to ALL of the speakers so it shouldn't really be much of an issue.
Yes, it applies to all of the speakers, but as delay is differential to the most distant speaker, the closer speakers would get more of an error (so it mostly affects side surrounds). Not a huge error, but still. There was talk that the most recent models got it sorted out, but I don't know that anyone has confirmed. I look forward to hearing if you find out it has been fixed.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
No wonder I didn't like my Denon.....I knew something was up, just couldn't put my finger on it.
That delay issue is likely not the reason. More likely a bad calibration/EQ that you didn't enjoy from the Denon.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
That delay issue is likely not the reason. More likely a bad calibration/EQ that you didn't enjoy from the Denon.
Oh, that was a joke Gene....forgot to put a smiley face at the end. :) Hope this makes up for it !

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis