gold plated mini 3.5mm jack svp.

B

bewoam

Audiophyte
I have a pair of AKGs K 701s and use them with my White MacBook, the trouble is I have to use the 3.5mm adaptor which in total hangs about 10cm off my MacBook and I think that's bad for all kinds of reasons.

So I was looking into getting a mini jack that would make things better, al my connections are gold plated and I wanted to keep that. I was looking at the following and not sure if this was Gold both ends, lets say only one end is - how will that affect the quality of the sound?

eby item: 180372548588

Alternatively if anybody knows of a high quality (gold plated?) white mini jack 3.5mm to 3.5mm (or a 1/4" to 3.5mm) that I can get please let me know thanks.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Gold is for corrosion resistance; it makes no difference to the sound.

B

bewoam

Audiophyte
Really, so a nickle tip will be just as good? I suppose then if it does corrode so will the sound, that's why they say that?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Really, so a nickle tip will be just as good? I suppose then if it does corrode so will the sound, that's why they say that?
Yes and yes. IMO, it is rare to see gold plated connectors or terminals at live shows or in studios, so other than the "hey, it's gold" factor, there's no real benefit that I can think of. Nickel has excellent corrosion resistance as well and the side benefit is it also has much higher abrasion resistance vs gold.

Have you ever seen a corroded mini-plug?
Exactly. Unless it has been dropped in salt water or something or physically worn out from use, I have not seen it happen.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis