Getting the right Subwoofer cable

J

Joseman37

Audioholic Intern
Hi there.
I own the Polk PSW10 Subwoofer and was wondering if I should buy a Y style RCA cable or just 1 to 1 RCA cable?

Thank you!!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hi there.
I own the Polk PSW10 Subwoofer and was wondering if I should buy a Y style RCA cable or just 1 to 1 RCA cable?

Thank you!!
Use 1 in the LFE input,if you use the splitter it will not bypass the subs crossover

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hi there.

Thank you!!
The Y adapter or Y style RCA are intended to connect 2 devices.

1 to 1 works for a single sub.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, just use a single. Depending on the amplifier, using a splitter will engage the subs internal XO(as said), or just raise the input gain, which doesn’t equation any more output overall, just more for a given gain setting.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
My sub doesn't have LFE input.
You are correct. Your model doesn't appear to have a single LFE connection but a combines LR connection.
The owners manual shows a split Y cable. That's what the owners manual shows so that's your ticket.
The PSw12 does use an LFE, but not the 10. Good thing those are pretty inexpensive type of cables.
Back in the day when I had a sub like that I used a Y connector (just a little stubby thing) and it connected
to a single RCA coax cable that ran to the AVR. It works.
1582564876747.png

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You are correct. Your model doesn't appear to have a single LFE connection but a combines LR connection.
The owners manual shows a split Y cable. That's what the owners manual shows so that's your ticket.
The PSw12 does use an LFE, but not the 10. Good thing those are pretty inexpensive type of cables.
Back in the day when I had a sub like that I used a Y connector (just a little stubby thing) and it connected
to a single RCA coax cable that ran to the AVR. It works.
View attachment 34240
In addition to the picture, there are words that describe the connection options further:

NOTE:The PSW10 subwoofer does not have an LFE input. Instead, use either the L or R Line input (another hookup option is to use a Y-split cable and connect bothL and R Line inputs). After you make this Sub Out connection, turn the "Low Pass" filter fully clockwise. This will in effect create an LFE input

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I'm with you @William Lemmerhirt , its time for a new sub.
My old sub that had that type of connection and the LR speaker connectors on it just wasn't a good sub.
It played and it did its best. But, there's no way to confuse it with a good sub.
YeH buck, I couldn’t agree more. I’ve had some not so great subs too. In fact I am quite familiar with the 505 in question here. Good entry level, but that’s where it ends.
@Pogre says this a lot, and I agree, that good clean bass has a way of elevating the entire system.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
YeH buck, I couldn’t agree more. I’ve had some not so great subs too. In fact I am quite familiar with the 505 in question here. Good entry level, but that’s where it ends.
@Pogre says this a lot, and I agree, that good clean bass has a way of elevating the entire system.
Yup! Don't just take it from us tho. Here's some testimony from someone here who recently (reluctantly) upgraded his sub.

His comment on a very familiar song- "there is music in there I was never aware of. Unbelievable. I’m extremely impressed."

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, just use a single. Depending on the amplifier, using a splitter will engage the subs internal XO(as said), or just raise the input gain, which doesn’t equation any more output overall, just more for a given gain setting.
Why do old rca cables work ? Are they identical to the cables built specifically for subwoofers ?
My best subwoofer is using I think a monoprice sub cable or something I got on amazon . My other subs are all using rca cables .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why do old rca cables work ? Are they identical to the cables built specifically for subwoofers ?
My best subwoofer is using I think a monoprice sub cable or something I got on amazon . My other subs are all using rca cables .

Sub cables are simply a type of rca cable. Some have better shielding for longer runs....

afford-hifi

afford-hifi

Junior Audioholic
Sub cables are simply a type of rca cable. Some have better shielding for longer runs....
Lovinthehd,

Completely agree, one of the most important factors for a subwoofer cable is the shielding. A quality RCA subwoofer cable will be constructed with shielding that prevents EMI. This is especially true when being used for longer runs. Standard RCA cables will most likely have inferior shielding which can result in an audible hum through the subwoofer... No one likes that.

James
affordhifi.com

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Lovinthehd,

Completely agree, one of the most important factors for a subwoofer cable is the shielding. A quality RCA subwoofer cable will be constructed with shielding that prevents EMI. This is especially true when being used for longer runs. Standard RCA cables will most likely have inferior shielding which can result in an audible hum through the subwoofer... No one likes that.

James
affordhifi.com
I found this to be true. Especially when your neighbor starts broadcasting in his HAMM radio at 6:30 every morning. He was very gracious in helping to alleviate the problem. Gave me ferrite rings, and cables and all kinds of stuff. I ended up with a section of rg -6 quad shielded iirc. He was a good guy.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I found this to be true. Especially when your neighbor starts broadcasting in his HAMM radio at 6:30 every morning. He was very gracious in helping to alleviate the problem. Gave me ferrite rings, and cables and all kinds of stuff. I ended up with a section of rg -6 quad shielded iirc. He was a good guy.
So rca cables are fine for short runs ?? Use sub cables for anything past what 10 foot ??

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So rca cables are fine for short runs ?? Use sub cables for anything past what 10 foot ??

Again? A sub cable is an rca cable. You may want more significant shielding on a longer rca cable, as might be used for subs or other purposes. Some "sub" cables have better shielding than others, but "sub cable" isn't very definitive.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Yeah like HD said, they’re the same thing. I’ve used rg-6 and rg-59 too. It’s a low bandwidth signal so what’s important is shielding, and quality terminals. I’ve even used the cheap RGB rca cables that come with dish network gear for sub connections.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis