Getting my feet wet

N

new2thisHT

Enthusiast
I have been reading posts here for the past couple months (great I might add) and have been influenced to upgrade my Kenwood htib. The other reason is the house was struck by lightning and damaged my subwoofer. Great reason to upgrade!

Thanks to this forum I have recently purchased the Emo UPA-7, currently awaiting the UMC-1, and have been searching the posts looking for speaker ideas (thinking Emo or Axiom)still undecided though. Any recommendations? Prolly backwards but... I do have a JL Audio 12W6V2 and would like to work that in to the system too. I have read some posts on this and I have some experience building enclosures (for cars) but I could use some help with the design of this enclosure. Also any help with specs, amp, etc will be greatly appreciated along with any other information or recommendations.

By the way the dimensions of the room are 20'L 15'W 9'H
Have I forgotten anything?
Thanks in advance

Kai

Kai

Full Audioholic
Welcome aboard new...
Too bad about the lightning strike but it seems to be working out a bit well.
Speaker suggestions are easy to make because we all have our favorite brand(s). Personally I prefer the Paradigm Monitor line as I really like the sound, not harsh but not too smooth either, and they are in my budget.
I suggest you find some local shops, take either several cd's that you love and are very familiar with or make a high quality compilation cd, and listen to a variety then buy what sounds the best to you and is in your budget.

If budgeting is a bit tight and you want a 5.1/7.1 system but can't afford them all, start with the fronts and sub, move on to the center then add the surrounds when able.
You haven't mentioned a budget and that would be helpful.
Good luck and keep us informed.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Welcome aboard. It looks like you're ready to build an Emotiva system. I've heard the Emotiva speakers (maybe an early version). I was quite pleased with the way they sounded and if I were looking at speakers, I wouldn't hesitate to give them a try. They sounded very clear and natural to me. For the price, I would consider them a bargain.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Hop over to the DIY section for help with the sub.

I have been reading posts here for the past couple months (great I might add) and have been influenced to upgrade my Kenwood htib. The other reason is the house was struck by lightning and damaged my subwoofer. Great reason to upgrade!

Thanks to this forum I have recently purchased the Emo UPA-7, currently awaiting the UMC-1, and have been searching the posts looking for speaker ideas (thinking Emo or Axiom)still undecided though. Any recommendations? Prolly backwards but... I do have a JL Audio 12W6V2 and would like to work that in to the system too. I have read some posts on this and I have some experience building enclosures (for cars) but I could use some help with the design of this enclosure. Also any help with specs, amp, etc will be greatly appreciated along with any other information or recommendations.

By the way the dimensions of the room are 20'L 15'W 9'H
Have I forgotten anything?
Thanks in advance

N

new2thisHT

Enthusiast
Yes I am interested in the Emotiva system, from what Ive read Im sure Ill be pleased. It will be a bit before I purchase speakers so I figured I would post here to get a wide range of recommendations. I did some research and found a retailer close by that sells the Paradigm that Kai suggested so I will be heading there soon to take a listen.

As far as budget I would like to get 7.1 system for around $2000 and build my own sub enclosure as I already have these subs. I have 4 12W6V2s from my car audio system and figured why not use what I have if possible but I need more info on how to go about this as I am new to this.

Anyone have any suggestions on the sub enclosure/amp? I am thinking about using only 1 sub as I think that will be plenty.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I've modeled your sub and it's best in a ported design.

I suggest using the Kappa Box in The DIY section with some minor adjustments. Even highpassed at 20hz you get an f3 of around 20hz with no eq.

Drive these with no less than an EP1500 or 2500. The more the merrier as they say.

I suggest an EQ for improving in room response. The DCX 2496 has all the eq stuff you'll need. And due to your use of an external amp you can also use it to eq your mains too.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Will do thanks dawg
Make sure you read the thread and learn what you can. The Rock Wool is very important. Don't do this project without it.

For materials you can use 9 ply Oak if You can't get 13 ply Birch. MDF can also be used, but the box is big. So weight would be my concern there.

Since you have the drivers. You can build more than one. And they will even in room response working together. However one corner loaded is capable of plenty in the output department. With room gain the SPL is insane.

PM me if you have any further questions. Also Wmax is a great resource. I suggest a reading of his posts via the search feature. You can learn a lot that way. He's taught me most of what I know about Audio.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Mounting depth might be an issue with that driver, correct?
Only if you don't make the brace further back. Take the depth of this driver - The depth of the Kappa Perfect Mid VQ and then move the bracing back in the case that much by adjusting the connecting pieces.

I suggest a doubled baffle for a recess mount using this driver.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis