Getting multi-channel music (The LP must die)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How did this sound? Weather Report has been one of my favorites for a long time, in any incarnation.
I think it's hard to go wrong with Weather Report. I wasn't really familiar with this one before I recently picked up the multi-ch SACD (which was reasonably priced to help my purchase along), as I've mostly concentrated on the Jaco Pastorius era (this precedes Jaco by a year I think).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Did Steve Wilson do the Crimson remaster? He does a very good job and is the exception to the rule, though there may be others I'm not aware of.

Haven't heard the Echoes remaster. If the master trcaks were let down by the dude running the remastering process, there is the possibility for a great remaster to be produced.
He's done remixes of Red, In the Court of the Crimson King, Lizard, In the Wake of Poseidon, Islands, Starless and Bible Black, Discipline, Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Beat, and Three of a Perfect Pair. On the Tull and ELP remixes I have he's only credited with the remix.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
WRT Dire Straits-BIA- original, or remaster? I have heard some of the tracks from the remaster and thought it was thin, lacking in bass. I'll have to find it and give it another listen.
On CD I have the original
On SACD I have the 20th anniv. 5.1 remix.
I don't have the remastered CD to compare/contrast.
I don't recall noticing thin bass; but I'll try to A/B the CD and remix-forced-to-stereo at some point.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I think that some of Steve Wilson's work was described as remixing... though after remixing somebody needs to remaster it... and I can't imagine a perfectionist like Wilson calling it a day. He'd likely be looking over the shoulder of anyone remastering one of his mixes.
Well, it IS called the 'master mix'.

highfigh

highfigh

On CD I have the original
On SACD I have the 20th anniv. 5.1 remix.
I don't have the remastered CD to compare/contrast.
I don't recall noticing thin bass; but I'll try to A/B the CD and remix-forced-to-stereo at some point.
Mastering involves setting final track levels, balance, effects, etc- if it was remixed to 5.1, I would have to consider it a 'remastered' version.

How did they place the instruments in the SACD? Do they surround you, or did they use the rear/side for ambiance?

highfigh

highfigh

I think it's hard to go wrong with Weather Report. I wasn't really familiar with this one before I recently picked up the multi-ch SACD (which was reasonably priced to help my purchase along), as I've mostly concentrated on the Jaco Pastorius era (this precedes Jaco by a year I think).
Nothing wrong with Alphonso Johnson, Victor Bailey or anyone else they had on bass- Jaco got the attention of a lot of people, but the whole group was amazing. I watched a video of a live show and Zawinul had one keyboard set up normally (low notes to high notes going from left to right) and the keys he played with his left hand went right to left as he moved up the scale.

Sportin' Life is another one that I like- it's a touch odd, but that's part of what I like.

Ever see Jaco play piano? YouTube has some tracks of that.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would use DSU and DTSX on 2Ch music to make them MCH (like 5.1.4).

I don't miss SACD, DVD-A, and DTS CD at all - glad I sold them all.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nothing wrong with Alphonso Johnson, Victor Bailey or anyone else they had on bass- Jaco got the attention of a lot of people, but the whole group was amazing. I watched a video of a live show and Zawinul had one keyboard set up normally (low notes to high notes going from left to right) and the keys he played with his left hand went right to left as he moved up the scale.

Sportin' Life is another one that I like- it's a touch odd, but that's part of what I like.

Ever see Jaco play piano? YouTube has some tracks of that.
Not complaining, they're all good, just had been listening more recently to the discs Jaco was on, that's the path I came back to WR with in a way...have one of their LPs from way back but didn't listen to them for a long time until I started listening to some other bassists and came back to them via Jaco Pastorius. I've listened to some of the Zawinul Syndicate stuff, too, good stuff. I'll have to visit (maybe revisit) Sportin' Life and can't say I have seen Jaco play piano so will check that out, too, thanks.

highfigh

highfigh

Not complaining, they're all good, just had been listening more recently to the discs Jaco was on, that's the path I came back to WR with in a way...have one of their LPs from way back but didn't listen to them for a long time until I started listening to some other bassists and came back to them via Jaco Pastorius. I've listened to some of the Zawinul Syndicate stuff, too, good stuff. I'll have to visit (maybe revisit) Sportin' Life and can't say I have seen Jaco play piano so will check that out, too, thanks.
Check out Joni Mitchell's video called 'Shadows And Light'-

Musicians-

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The Blu-ray concert of Dave Mathews and Tim Reynolds in Dolby TrueHD is an example of what can be done. Wish other concerts could be recorded that well. :)

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
How did they place the instruments in the SACD? Do they surround you, or did they use the rear/side for ambiance?
On that one: the L/C/R is distinct while the surrounds re-enforce the fronts rather than add new positions.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just got a new to me disc, The Flaming Lips' Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots 5.1, a cd & dvd-audio combo disc set. Good stuff.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Still a fair amount of quad vinyl fans and gear out there, too. Can't imagine wanting to go that direction myself for multich....makes regular vinyl fussing look simple :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis