Getting multi-channel music (The LP must die)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
from wiki: "most DVD-Audio discs also contain DVD-Video compatible data to play the standard DVD-Video Dolby Digital 5.1-channel audio track on the disc".

Don't judge me for this but my Adele bluray has dolby digital audio. Weird. Sounds great though ... actually my favorite recording of hers.

Speaking of mcm, but on dvd, Sheryl Crow's Rockin' The Globe Live is pretty good imo. Track 4 on DTS in particular.
Yeah I think I have a dvd or two where there is a picture and a 5.1 DD soundtrack. I've been able to rip some of the dvd multich content with DVD Audio Extractor, too and put those on my hard drive plus usb drives so I don't need to pull out the disc. I have one DTS multich disc, the Allman Brothers at Fillmore East.

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
Yeah I think I have a dvd or two where there is a picture and a 5.1 DD soundtrack. I've been able to rip some of the dvd multich content with DVD Audio Extractor, too and put those on my hard drive plus usb drives so I don't need to pull out the disc. I have one DTS multich disc, the Allman Brothers at Fillmore East.
Hopefully, your Filmore East multi channel disc is better than the CD version I have. The CD was rated very high by Rolling Stone for its sound quality but it's "average" at best to me.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hopefully, your Filmore East multi channel disc is better than the CD version I have. The CD was rated very high by Rolling Stone for its sound quality but it's "average" at best to me.
For a live show at the time, it's a decent recording even on my LP that I've had since it came out :) The DTS is a nice mix, prefer it over the CD which is decent for what it is, too.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
So, I finally have a setup with a center channel I actually like and have pulled out all my multi-channel SACDs and DVD-Audio disks and want more.

... and all the stuff I find is out of print, costs $60-$120, and every promising "here must be the new one, this was just released for audiophiles and must have a 5-channel version" is an LP.

1) Anyone got a good source for multi-channel disks?
2) I wasn't angry at LPs, but now they seem to be stealing both my high-DR masters and 5-channel recordings as the industry shifts to serve demand.
3) WTH is with all the reel-to-reel I saw at the last audio show? That's an objectively bad format (technically, so are records).

I'd love to pick up REM, Queen, BillyJoel, etc in SACD/DVD-A without breaking the bank.
YA know, if you find a nice Quadraphonic setup, you can have the best of both worlds.

Just sayin'. :)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Listen to it through the same system they used and it won't be as bad. Maybe.

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
Listen to it through the same system they used and it won't be as bad. Maybe.
Possibly, but some of their other recommendations I've tried were quite good.

I trust the DR Database, which says Fillmore has good dynamic range. The fidelity is dreary though. Like they set the mics with wet dishrags over them.

Last edited:
JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Bluray offers higher resolution than DVD as well as more channels.
I think the resolution advantages might be technical rather than practical. I don't dispute they exist, but I don't think there's a human-detectable advantage to moving about DVD-A's max 24bit x 96KHz.

More channels seems to be the real advantage

My old PS3 (slim) won't play SACD but my Sony bluray players will. My older Philips and Samsung dvd players wouldn't play SACD tho.
My Sony BluRay players will both play SACD. I have one of the older PS3s that will also play them. The BD players also appear to play DVD-A, but now I'm concerned that there's something I don't know about extra layers there.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Setup a trio of Klipsch KL-650-THX speakers as LCR. First time in a home setup I've strongly preferred having a physical center.

I have a K.D Lang DVD-A of Invincible Summer that I absolutely hate. I got it for $2 at Goodwill. Want it?
I don't think I like any songs on that album so thank you but no.

I picked up The Police on SACD today. Very disappointed in 5.1 mix and CD layer deliberately not music :(

No. There may be a dvd 'layer' that a dvd player will play but that's not the same as dvd-a. Just like sacd's can have a cd 'layer' that will play on any cd player. At least that's how I think it works.
Oh? Now I need to check my gear!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think the resolution advantages might be technical rather than practical. I don't dispute they exist, but I don't think there's a human-detectable advantage to moving about DVD-A's max 24bit x 96KHz.

More channels seems to be the real advantage

My Sony BluRay players will both play SACD. I have one of the older PS3s that will also play them. The BD players also appear to play DVD-A, but now I'm concerned that there's something I don't know about extra layers there.
Can't think of any of my dvd discs that are but a lossy codec in multich vs my bluray discs with multich in a lossless codec....plus the blurays are often 7.1 as a bonus. Whether truly an audible issue is another matter :) I'd like to see more multich content whatever the format, tho. I might have to play with a DVD-A disc for the heck of it now.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
The mystique of vinyl will be too strong for a very long time to come. ;) Not that I disagree, but I can't afford to start now.
But indeed: Multi-channel audio in HiRes formats are also expensive... if you get them early, not so prohibitive as a pristine sample on vinyl, but still... I only have two... Pink Floyd SACDs: WYWH and DSOTM. Though DS sounds good, wasn't as well done imo as WYWH. Won't stop me from pursuing more... and maybe the industry will shift soon. *fingers-crossed
(Would love to get The Stranger in a HiRes format!)
That may have been Billy Joel's best.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
YA know, if you find a nice Quadraphonic setup, you can have the best of both worlds.

Just sayin'. :)
I wonder how many people here have heard a proper quad system. I haven't heard a true quad lp since the early 80s. Do you remember the way to run simulated quad with a 2 channel rig and 4 speakers? You ran the front (A) set of speakers normally then ran the (B) speakers with the positive lead running from the amp and the negative lead running from one of the (B) speakers to the other. Place them behind you and I'll be darned if it didn't make some songs sound like you were at a concert. Didn't even need a quad source.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wonder how many people hear have heard a proper quad system. I haven't heard a true quad lp since the early 80s. Do you remember the way to run simulated quad with a 2 channel rig and 4 speakers? You ran the front (A) set of speakers normally then ran the (B) speakers with the positive lead running from the amp and the negative lead running from one of the (B) speakers to the other. Place them behind you and I'll be darned if it didn't make some songs sound like you were at a concert. Didn't even need a quad source.
Is that what you call the inverse phase trick? I did hear a quad vinyl setup back in the day, just not a good format for vinyl IMO.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't think I like any songs on that album so thank you but no.
The stuff I like owning is Floyd's DSOTM and Neil Young's Harvest. Those plus a couple of classical selections keep me tied to the players. I have a couple of Denons and an Oppo. I worry about their demise. Oh yeah, Dire Straits, BIA. How could I forget?

When I got the first Denon mcm player dvd-a discs were ~ $25 a pop so I bought 3. A few more got added along the way and I enjoy them from time to time but now the price of Harvest is like $60.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The stuff I like owning is Floyd's DSOTM and Neil Young's Harvest. Those plus a couple of classical selections keep me tied to the players. I have a couple of Denons and an Oppo. I worry about their demise. Oh yeah, Dire Straits, BIA. How could I forget?

When I got the first Denon mcm player dvd-a discs were ~ $25 a pop so I bought 3. A few more got added along the way and I enjoy them from time to time but now the price of Harvest is like $60.
Didn't know Harvest came in a multich version, may have to go look for that altho already have the LP and cd. Certainly won't be this $375 offer for a new one :)

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Is that what you call the inverse phase trick? I did hear a quad vinyl setup back in the day, just not a good format for vinyl IMO.
Yes I believe it was sometimes referred to as that. I always knew it as simulated quad. If you turned the main speakers off you just heard some diffuse noise. It really never caught on and I only tried it for a little while.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
At the moment I have Elton John's "Goodby Yellow Brick Road" (DVD-A), Pink Floyd's DSotM (SACD), Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" (SACD), a sample SACD from Lynn, Music from Charly Brown (SACD) and (now) a collection of the Police (SACD) which has terrible mixing.

I'm thinking there's one more; but it's not coming to mind.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
At the moment I have Elton John's "Goodby Yellow Brick Road" (DVD-A), Pink Floyd's DSotM (SACD), Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" (SACD), a sample SACD from Lynn, Music from Charly Brown (SACD) and (now) a collection of the Police (SACD) which has terrible mixing.

I'm thinking there's one more; but it's not coming to mind.
So far I've got in the way of multich music since I wanted to reorganize and look for any DVD-A discs:

SACD:
Weather Report - Tale Spinnin'
John Abercrombie, Eddie Gomez with Gene Jackson - Structures
Hiromi - Brain
Herbie Hancock - Gershwin's World
Monty Alexander - Monty meets Sly and Robbie
Jazz at the Pawnshop Volumes 1-3
Concord Jazz SACD Sampler Vol 2
Sony Music SACD Ultimate Collection (only some of the tracks are multi-ch, tho)
RS500 SACD Sampler
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
The Doors - The Doors
The Doors - Morrison Hotel
The Doors - L.A. Woman
The Who - Tommy
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
The Rolling Stones - Sympathy for the Devil (a bunch of different mixes)
Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
(waiting arrival for Monty Alexander's My America, Jeff Beck's Blow by Blow and Bloomfield/Kooper/Stills' Super Session)

DVD (video)
Nirvana - Unplugged in NY
Alice in Chains - Unplugged
Gorillaz - Demon Days Live at the Manchester Opera House
Pink Floyd - Pulse
Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere
Steven Wilson - Drive Home CD/DVD set
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Jethro Tull - Benefit Collector's edition Steven Wilson remix CD/DVD set
Yes - Keys to Ascension
Zappa plays Zappa
Hiromi - Spiral (a cd/dvd set with DTS 96/24 on the dvd)
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Emerson, Lake & Palmer Steven Wilson remix CD/DVD set
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Tarkus Steven Wilson remix CD/DVD set
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Live at Montreaux
Al DiMeola, Jean-Luc Ponty & Stanley Clarke - Live at Montreaux 1994
Keith Emerson Band - Moscow
Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same
Snarky Puppy - Family Dinner Vol 2 (dvd/cd set)
Tool - Parabola
Michael Jackson - HIStory Vol 1
Michael Jackson - HIStory Vol 2

Apparently I do have a DVD-A disc, Steven Wilson's Insurgentes CD/DVD disc set has a two-layer DVD-A

The Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East is an HTS disc, guess that means a DVD of some sort? Says HDS.

Blu-Rays:
Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize BR/DVD set
Steven Wilson - Get All You Deserve
Steven Wilson - The Raven that Refused to Sing
Steven Wilson - Hand.Cannot.Erase
Steven Wilson - 4-1/2
Steven Wilson - To The Bone
Steven Wilson - Home Invasion In Concert at the Royal Albert Hall
Yes - Tales from Topographic Oceans BR/CD set
Jeff Beck - Live at Ronnie Scott's
Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood - Live from Madison Square Garden
Led Zeppelin - Celebration Day BR/CD set
The Police - Certifiable BR/CD set
Elton John - Goodby Yellow Brick Road
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
Peter Gabriel - Secret World Live
The Houston Symphony - The Planets
Fantasia & Fantasia 2000 BR/DVD set
Alexander Jero - The New Dimension of Sound - Beethoven Symphonies 5 & 6
2L The Nordic Sound - BR/SACD set
Trondheim Solistene Divertimenti - BR/SACD set
Vivaldi - David Juritz, London Mozart Players - The Four Seasons / Concertos for Double Orchestra
Alexander Jero - Mozart - Requiem

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Any favorites (in terms of master quality and use of surround) in there?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Any favorites (in terms of master quality and use of surround) in there?
Most are pretty good, altho the Yes DVD and BR both were on the disappointing side from what I expected from them. Jazz at the Pawnshop is kinda boring...nicely recorded, tho. The Police Certifiable is somewhat meh but am a big fan, went to many shows back in the day. Popped in the Stop Making Sense BR, listening now, always a good show. Some are simply good recordings no matter what they're on, like the Pink Floyd discs, Dire Straits' BIA, Steven Wilson stuff. Some of the videos are fun to watch, some don't have anything to watch.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis