Getting interested on building subs need advice

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hey guys for some of you such as @lovinthehd who have spoken about building they're own subs. I'm starting to get curious about doing this. The reason for this is I want to go up too quad subs. Next year or the year after. I have 2 SVS PB 4000's. The next best place for subs is behind my couches.
I like SVS cylinder designs but the PC 4000 is too Damn tall. But I've been digging and from what I can tell so far a cylinder sub is the easiest to build.
So what I'm asking is is it possible to build 2 cylinder model subs. That would match if not better my PB 4000's performance for $2000 for each one as my budget. If I can go lower on budget great. But up to $2000 for each one would be good as well.
Some things to consider. I'm not concerned about size. What I mean is they can be bigger around then 16 inches in diameter like SVS uses. Plus I'd prefer to use bigger drivers then SVS does. At least 15's maybe 18's. I'd like the tune to be at least 13 to 15hz if possible I'd like for them to be ported. They can be up to 43 inches tall and be a lot bigger around then SVS designs. They are going behind the couches. The amplifiers I would like to be not set up in the subs I'd prefer exterior amps not ones built into the subs. If they can be done and are better then the 4000's hell I might just have to sell the 4000's and build 2 more.
But what I need to know now is can this even be realistically done in a cylinder ported form for the budget I am selecting? I have access to tools. Just need to know if it's possible and what I need to acquire and also learn so I can start planning to build these next year or the year after.
Thanks for any input. If the answer is no it's just not realistic I'm okay with hearing that just need to know. Thanks for your time.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Paragraphs!

Search sono tube or sono subs to start....but use paragraphs!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
WOOOw now that's a driver! Ok so I got the driver
Do I order it in dual 1ohm or dual 2ohm?
What amp would you recommend to drive it?
And where do I look for good materials or for a sonosub? Any websites you recommend for DIY sonosubs?
Thanks for getting me started William and Lovinthehd point me in the right direction on those 2 or 3 areas and I'll get to doing my homework!
Thanks!!!
:p

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Paragraphs!

Search sono tube or sono subs to start....but use paragraphs!
And for the record brother I am trying to use paragraph
But ever time I post it leaves it looking like that!
Thank you for any input you guys can give I'm actually really starting to get interested. Maybe I should have done this and not bought the dang PB 4000's.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
And for the record brother I am trying to use paragraph
But ever time I post it leaves it looking like that!
Thank you for any input you guys can give I'm actually really starting to get interested. Maybe I should have done this and not bought the dang PB 4000's.
Sometimes my phone gets glitchy on this site like when it posts a post I do 3 like 5 times in a row

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
To be honest guys just disregard this thread. After researching even the tubes would require some woodworking skills I just don't have. I wouldn't want these to be my first learners.

I wish I knew someone that could build these I would pay them well for there Labor. And of course cover all expenses and shipping.

I looked for Sonotube flat packs which I feel I could handle. But no dice. Man I'll just have to look for some other option. Thank you guys for trying to help.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
At least I finally figured out what was causing my phone to not do paragraphs. At least I got something out of this

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think sonotube subs are really cool. They have a very stiff enclosure but still keep weight down to a minimum. It's a very elegant solution. They are naturally easy to lift and carry around as well. All you have to do is form the end pieces. It would be pretty easy, especially if you want to build a sealed design. Also very easy for ported designs as well.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I think sonotube subs are really cool. They have a very stiff enclosure but still keep weight down to a minimum. It's a very elegant solution. They are naturally easy to lift and carry around as well. All you have to do is form the end pieces. It would be pretty easy, especially if you want to build a sealed design. Also very easy for ported designs as well.
If you don't mind. with your permission Id like to PM you when it would be closer to giving it a go if I decide to do it. This would be my first attempt at this and I'd need a lot of technical guidance. I'd like to get them right the first time.

I like the Outlaws but really they compare more to the PB12+s. I'd like to make something that would fit behind the couches that could actually keep up with the 4000's.

It wouldn't be for a while till next year. If I get the courage to decide I'm up for it. It would have to be ported. I love ported subs.

I wouldn't be asking you to hold my hand through it just give me technical advice such as how to calculate correct volume size. Best amps to go with the right driver. Stuff like that. I'll pray about it I guess Lol.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I'm really stumped at this point thinking what I can put behind there commercially shady. Why'd the PC 4000's have to be so darn tall. :). At least I have plenty of time to think this over no more purchases this year

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'm really stumped at this point thinking what I can put behind there commercially shady. Why'd the PC 4000's have to be so darn tall. :). At least I have plenty of time to think this over no more purchases this year
Go ahead and PM me if you want, but I can't help that much in specifically constructing a sonotube sub. I haven't built one myself, but I can't imagine it would be very difficult. Half the cabinet is already made for you, all you have to do is construct the top and bottom. You may still want some inner bracing, depending on how heavy-duty you want it. You just need to select the driver and decide on if you want ported or sealed (seems like you want ported) and then use something like WinISD to find the appropriate enclosure size. The problem is that a ported cylinder sub usually needs to be tall, unless you want to put a bend in the port- that is doable but does complicate the project a bit.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well @danzilla, I can offer you some insight as I have built sonosubs before. It is easy. Agonizing over tuning is actually harder than building them. Lol
As shady said, winisd is a good tool. This one is specifically made for sonosubs, and is pretty simple.
http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/sonosub.htm
Busy now, but will check ya later.....

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Well @danzilla, I can offer you some insight as I have built sonosubs before. It is easy. Agonizing over tuning is actually harder than building them. Lol
As shady said, winisd is a good tool. This one is specifically made for sonosubs, and is pretty simple.
http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/sonosub.htm
Busy now, but will check ya later.....
Thanks man I'll start looking at that link after I'm off of work really appreciate ya

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Go ahead and PM me if you want, but I can't help that much in specifically constructing a sonotube sub. I haven't built one myself, but I can't imagine it would be very difficult. Half the cabinet is already made for you, all you have to do is construct the top and bottom. You may still want some inner bracing, depending on how heavy-duty you want it. You just need to select the driver and decide on if you want ported or sealed (seems like you want ported) and then use something like WinISD to find the appropriate enclosure size. The problem is that a ported cylinder sub usually needs to be tall, unless you want to put a bend in the port- that is doable but does complicate the project a bit.
Thanks Shady if I decide to do it I'll send you pics and updates so you can learn from my mistakes... I mean my project! :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis