Getting a Sony Rootkit Canal

It all started with an innocent looking British firm called First 4 who wrote software enabling Sony CD owners to make up to 4 copies of the disc for their personal use (after that the disc was locked up.) That's reasonable and everyone was happy. Consumers could make their few backup copies. Labels got their royalties. Dealers could sell their discs. Ordinary folks could enjoy their music. Of course, those First 4 code whisperers were a sneaky group and added this little guy called a rootkit that would crawl into the user's computer and hide so you couldn't find him without some serious technical sleuthing...

[Read More]

Last edited by a moderator:
C

corey

Senior Audioholic
Your whole article reads like it was written by the RIAA. It makes the whole thing seem some what funny, and not a big deal.

It is a big deal. Say someone breaks into your home, tells a joke, steals an ice cube tray, and leaves. The most important fact is not that there was humor involved, that the ice cube tray doesn't really matter, nor that the person breaking in didn't really mean any harm. What's important is that someone broke into your home.

I have owned a number of Sony products over the years. The last one I purchased cost $2,000. Unless Sony makes a substantial change, it will be the last.

C

claudermilk

Full Audioholic
Art Slartibart said:
To make things worse, Sony have violated copyright rules themselves, as the DRM code appears to contain sections that are protected by the Lesser General Public License. See the article entitled "Sony's CD rootkit infringes DVD Jon's copyright" for details.

Art
That is a VERY interesting link (particularly the next one from it). I find it amusing that their own stongarm tactics have a good potential to turn around and bite them. You just have to love quick Karma. :D

I am hoping that this incident does blow up a whole lot more and force some common sense in the DRM/DMCA laws. I am sensitive to copyright issues being a photographer, but these corporations have stepped WAY over the line.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It gets even better. Someone here listed a link to a site that has a check you can do to see if the software is installed and running and I found that it IS on my computer. They don't list any of the CDs that I have ripped onto this system though... There are at least TWO versions of software from the company that wrote the code for Sony and the older version may be harder to remove and CDs containing that version are not covered by the replacement program.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
This is they type of thing that makes people want to download music for free onlilne, that way they know they won't be getting any rootkit garbage on thier pc, they just have to keep their antivirus up to date.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

j_garcia said:
It gets even better. Someone here listed a link to a site that has a check you can do to see if the software is installed and running and I found that it IS on my computer. They don't list any of the CDs that I have ripped onto this system though... There are at least TWO versions of software from the company that wrote the code for Sony and the older version may be harder to remove and CDs containing that version are not covered by the replacement program.
Where can I find this link?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis