Getting a component connection from my cable box to my AV Receiver?

O

offset

Audiophyte
Here is my first post; and it is a noob question at that. I just bought a new receiver (Onkyo TXSR602S). One of the downsides, although really kind of minor overall, is that it doesn't do up-conversion. So I have my cheap JVC TV connected by component connections for video AND a regular composite connection. Both connections are because my DVD player plugged in through component connections for video and my cable box only has composite or an S-video connection. I know the S-video would be better but I didn't have a cable handy at the moment. So when I want to switch between the two, I also have to switch inputs on the TV.

It is only a minor annoyance but if there is a solution (besides upgrading to the 702) I would like to know. One of the things I thought of is to get a cable box that has component connections. The only models that do through Time Warner as far as I can tell are the HD models. But I don't have an HDTV. Could I still get that HD cable box from them and just run it through my receiver to my non-HDTV using the component connections? Is there some other alternative that would work better to where I wouldn't have to switch inputs on the TV?

TIA,
offset

S

sherchlojo

Audioholic Intern
If you use component connections, without up conversion, all sources; your DVD, cable box, and receiver have to be joined by component video cables. I don't believe you can mix connections. Do you have to have a component video to your TV? To avoid switching inputs on your TV, you could route everything through your receiver. You could run an SVideo cable from your cable box to the receiver's DTV\cable in, and an SVideo cable from your DVD video out to your reciever's DVD video in. Then run an SVideo cable from your receiver's monotor out to your TV video in. When you switch the TV to video input it will be pointing to the receiver. You can then switch to DVD or cable box on the receiver. I'm using SVideo cables as an example, you could use composite video cables just as easily. I hope this answers your question.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
To answer the other question about the cable box, Time Warner will give you a HD box if you ask for it - even if you don't subscribe to the HD programming or have an HDTV.

I know because that is what I just did when I moved in to my new house. I requested the HD box so that I will already have one when I get around to buying an HDTV. The HD box (Scientific Atlanta 3100HD) does have component video outs.

It also, more importantly, the capability to do 480i. TWC, however has been cracking down on people who don't have HDTV requesting the boxes (which are more expensive for them - though not as much as they'd like you to think) so your mileage may vary. They usualy ask for you to bring in your user manual if you pick one up from the office. My thought is that you shodul get the service guy to deliver it and just tell him when he arrives that your HDTV hasn't shown up yet and you'll take care of switching the box to HD when it comes.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis