GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
The report I heard had it as two compound (open) fractures- one in the tibia and one in the femur. They also said he was calm- I'm not sure how someone could be calm with two open fractures.
Someone in shock can appear to be calm.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
I've been on that road a little. Its a good quality road which allows for a tendency to go too fast. It is very hilly and twisty with steep large gullies off the road. Rancho Palos Verdes is basically a small mountain with roads all over it and expensive homes. Also an expensive resort, Terranea, where I suspect he was staying.

That said, the rod in the tibia is no big deal but the complex ankle and foot fracture may really mess up his swing not to mention his ability to walk the course. I don't know the details of the ankle and foot fractures but it sounds bad.

Modern cars are amazing at protecting the vital head, chest and abdomen which cause the loss of life in car accidents usually. However legs are poorly protected and the engine compartment can crush them. I remember back when airbags became universal on all cars I started seeing a large number of horrific leg fractures from car accidents. I hadn't seen these before so I asked the trauma surgeon. He said it's the airbags. Previously anyone with those fractures was dead from a head or chest injury in the field. This was in about 2000.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
true, from what little I know his dad had quite a bit to do with his tutoring ?
No, his dad had EVERYTHING to do with his tutoring until he was good enough to surpass his dad's knowledge and got Tiger started at the tender age of 4. That's the reason I asked the question.

His first tournament as a pro was the US Bank Open here in Milwaukee and I followed his group with a couple of friends- watched him ace the 14th hole, too. He was too young to rent a car in his own name, so the tournament organizers had to get one for him.

I'm still not sure why he changed coaches- he had a natural fade and Butch Harmon taught him to draw it, with wildly varying levels of success. I thought he was swinging way too hard, too- aside from crashing his Escalade and getting biffed in the lip by his ex, his injuries came from swinging too hard. Most pros don't go WOT and when I used to read Golf Digest, they would say that their average swing was about 80%- it's easy to hit too far for older courses but there's something satisfying about reaching par 5 greens in two although I haven't hit a 600+ yard green, like Dustin Johnson did.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No, his dad had EVERYTHING to do with his tutoring until he was good enough to surpass his dad's knowledge and got Tiger started at the tender age of 4. That's the reason I asked the question.

His first tournament as a pro was the US Bank Open here in Milwaukee and I followed his group with a couple of friends- watched him ace the 14th hole, too. He was too young to rent a car in his own name, so the tournament organizers had to get one for him.

I'm still not sure why he changed coaches- he had a natural fade and Butch Harmon taught him to draw it, with wildly varying levels of success. I thought he was swinging way too hard, too- aside from crashing his Escalade and getting biffed in the lip by his ex, his injuries came from swinging too hard. Most pros don't go WOT and when I used to read Golf Digest, they would say that their average swing was about 80%- it's easy to hit too far for older courses but there's something satisfying about reaching par 5 greens in two although I haven't hit a 600+ yard green, like Dustin Johnson did.
So anyone with parental guidance/assistance can't be self made?

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
So anyone with parental guidance/assistance can't be self made?
Don't even entertain the argument.. His dad may have taught Tiger the discipline end of the sport , but nobody , and i mean nobody can force a person to practice hard enough or be good.. It 1000% talent + will..any great athletes will tell you that..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Don't even entertain the argument.. His dad may have taught Tiger the discipline end of the sport , but nobody , and i mean nobody can force a person to practice hard enough or be good.. It 1000% talent + will..any great athletes will tell you that..
It would also make few "self-made" people in the world :)

Last edited:
L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief

Tiger certainly got a lucky break with his dad being who he was.. Tiger , however surpassed his dad's golf knowledge somewhere in his jr high school years.. Tiger's golf coach carousel in the past 15 or so years is certainly a negative...

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
Many humans can't be self made in high

It would also make few "self-made" people in the world :)
Agreed , imo there aren't too many.. Athletes dominate the the debate though.. Stop and think about it , who in all of life have to stand on an island and perform.. Singers maybe?...and that's about it.. Everybody else gets to be a part of a team of some kind...walmart doesn't stay closed because the manager didn't show up...being Tiger is a bit more involved...Edit: i used to think being president was being on an island and difficult, and required talent... But then came trump , proving me wrong..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Plus both he and his dad had to overcome the very "white" culture of golf in this country...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Agreed , imo there aren't too many.. Athletes dominate the the debate though.. Stop and think about it , who in all of life have to stand on an island and perform.. Singers maybe?...and that's about it.. Everybody else gets to be a part of a team of some kind...walmart doesn't stay closed because the manager didn't show up...being Tiger is a bit more involved...
Well there may be a few in the academic world who might similarly qualify off the top of my head....or some business people perhaps (altho may take a bit of treading on the backs of others on the way :) ).

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
Plus both he and his dad had to overcome the very "white" culture of golf in this country...
That's the most impressive part of it.. up to about the year 2000 golf was easily the whitest sport there was, it still is in some ways....

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
Well there may be a few in the academic world who might similarly qualify off the top of my head....or some business people perhaps (altho may take a bit of treading on the backs of others on the way :) ).
Business people.nope.. It doesn't necessarily take talent .. Sports does...academics. Yeah, i agree there.. Brain talent is certainly a thing...

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Agreed , imo there aren't too many.. Athletes dominate the the debate though.. Stop and think about it , who in all of life have to stand on an island and perform.. Singers maybe?...and that's about it.. Everybody else gets to be a part of a team of some kind...walmart doesn't stay closed because the manager didn't show up...being Tiger is a bit more involved...Edit: i used to think being president was being on an island and difficult, and required talent... But then came trump , proving me wrong..
ever hear of the game of tennis ? how about golf with a shotgun- sporting clays ?

Tiger is the greatest of his generation, hopefully he will recover and be able to compete again, only time will tell

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
ever hear of the game of tennis ? how about golf with a shotgun- sporting clays ?

Tiger is the greatest of his generation, hopefully he will recover and be able to compete again, only time will tell
Sure i include all those sports...my point was ,and still is: athletes from individual sports in general, but golf in particular are all self made , you're out on an Island, nobody can play the game for you...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Business people.nope.. It doesn't necessarily take talent .. Sports does...academics. Yeah, i agree there.. Brain talent is certainly a thing...
Business does take talent....for what exactly can be an issue, tho. :)

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
Business does take talent....for what exactly can be an issue, tho. :)
With the caveat that" being rich" doesn't in any way equate to being a " businessman " and that being in business doesn't necessarily equate to being legit...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis