Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Home Theater...

R

roger259

Audioholic Intern
micra 6

I have a quick question on a home theatre system. Has anyone heard the athena technology micra 6 speaker 5.1? It was rated on this website as the best speaker system for under $1000. I plan on buying a Yamaha HTR 5840.

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
Hoz said:
Clint...How do I post a question? I'm new and don't seem to be able to post.

Im not clint...BUT...

Welcome!!

1.Go to the main page (audioholics home theater forums)
2.highlight and click on area you want to post (general, amps, speakers...etc...)
3. on the top of the main page in the section, a link (button) states "new thread". Click on this and it will direct you to a blank page that will allow you to type in your question.

Good luck!

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
you have to complete regisration confirmation before you can post a new topic.

Hoz

Audiophyte
Still Waiting

Anybody know how long it takes to get approval? Waiting to ask a couple of questions

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have a couple 'kids' stories.

My 3 year once decided it would be funny to toss a raquetball into one of my subwoofer ports. He did this while I was watching with a big grin on his face. He was standing next to the sub with a sh!t eating grin on his face, and whammo...he slapped that damn ball inside before I had a chance to react.
My sub is 28" deep, and I couldnt get my arm far enough in to reach. Looking inside, I could see the top of the ball just off the far end of the bottom port tube. Anyway, I removed the faceplate screws securing the port thinking I might be able to pull it out, and then reach inside to grab the ball. No luck...... After I removed the screws, the port still felt like it was secured like concrete.
I then tried a hose with a long sweeper extension, and VIOLA..... I was able to get close enough to the ball where the suction was enough to grab the ball and problem solved:rolleyes:
Since then, if he even looks at the ports or knobs, a simple look from me and he knows to run away. LOL

The second story relates to 'curing' my son of constantly turning my receiver on. He went through a stage where he was always playing with my components. To cure him of this, I turned the radio to static, and the volume up fairly loud. The next time he turned it on, he was scared sh!tless and he never again played with my receiver. It maybe took him 2-3 times, but nevertheless......he was soon cured.
LOL

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Buckeye_Nut said:
I have a couple 'kids' stories.

My 3 year once decided it would be funny to toss a raquetball into one of my subwoofer ports. He did this while I was watching with a big grin on his face. He was standing next to the sub with a sh!t eating grin on his face, and whammo...he slapped that damn ball inside before I had a chance to react.
My sub is 28" deep, and I couldnt get my arm far enough in to reach. Looking inside, I could see the top of the ball just off the far end of the bottom port tube. Anyway, I removed the faceplate screws securing the port thinking I might be able to pull it out, and then reach inside to grab the ball. No luck...... After I removed the screws, the port still felt like it was secured like concrete.
I then tried a hose with a long sweeper extension, and VIOLA..... I was able to get close enough to the ball where the suction was enough to grab the ball and problem solved:rolleyes:
Since then, if he even looks at the ports or knobs, I tell him to get away. LOL

The second story relates to 'curing' my son of constantly turning my receiver on. He went through a stage where he was always playing with my components. To cure him of this, I turned the radio to static, and the volume up fairly loud. The next time he turned it on, he was scared sh!tless and he never again played with my receiver. It maybe took him 2-3 times, but nevertheless......he was soon cured.
LOL
LOL, My brother did the same thing with my dads stereo. Turned it on and while he was fiddling with it, he cranked up the volume.. :eek:

2 HPM-100's pounding at near deafening levels. I was not alive at the time, or if I was, I can't remember that.

SheepStar

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
Not an audio subject, but is close.

Dad needed a new computer.

Really needed a new computer. Windows 98 1st edition is getting a bit long in the tooth. Especially since it is now late 2005.

He is playing the good man. Doing his research. He spent 6 months trying to find the perfect computer and save those 3 pennies. Every major purchase he has relied upon his fatherly skills in making his own decision.

But this time it is different.

After 6 months he says to me .... "You know what I need, just pick one out for me that will do what I need to do.... and make sure it has a DVD burner thing".

Pentium D, 1 Gig RAM, 128MB Graphics Card, 160 GB Hard drive.

Yes, it has one of those DVD burner things.

Not exactly state of the art, but if it is going to be another 6 years before he upgrades again, this one better be somewhat loaded.

pieroxy

pieroxy

Enthusiast
I have a kiddo story too. I didn't have to scare him off my Amp, he did it himself.

My wife decided to let me sleep this morning (Saturday ~10AM) and my kid was playing with the remote control. From what I could gather, he pressed DVD and then raised the volume up to the maximum. The DVD was off, so no sound could be heard. That's when he decided to press the TUNER button.

It was a very bad SONY HTiB, but still more than loud enough to wake the whole condo. I have never woken up so quickly in my entire life. I was in the living room in a split of a second ;)

My wife was as scared as my kid, and he never played again with the remote.

J

jas ly

Enthusiast
i have a roomate...
he uses my home theaters
i use his computers... he has many

he is a computer programmer... and deathly scard of touching the a.v stuff
can't hook it up, can't figure out which remote does what...

when exactly did watching a movie get more complicated then programming web pages

abut after 3 recked hard drive and a monitor and a couple power suppies he likely wishes i was as scard of his computers as he is of my home theater

pikers

pikers

Audioholic
Sheep said:
I've got one.

I was A&Bsound (bigbox competition store, no commision) a while ago and I was demoing subwoofers and speakers and whatnot.

I know my way around the store, and how their system works. While I was listening ot some music a salesman and customer walked into the room.

He was looking at subwoofers, and this salesman showed him an energy and velodyne model. I can't remember the conversation exactly but it went something like this.

C for customer, S for saleman.

C: I'm looking for a subwoofer for my room
S: Ok we have these brand new energy and veoldyne models (note how he didn't ask for a budget, room size, etc etc)
C: Ok, the energy one is alot smaller then the velodyne.
S: Thats why the velodynes are better(more expensive too).
C: I saw some of the velodyne for cheaper at Futureshop.
S: Yes, but they have the lower end models. We have the SPL and DLSR series, while they have DPS and SPK series.(SPK...never heard of them :rolleyes: )

Its about this time I wanted to punch him in the face. When ever I'm in that room, I will give people advice and just say I work there, because most of the salesman are snakes.

SheepStar

This salesman thing needs to be fixed
I think real salespeople are just tired of countering all of the worry-wart stupid s&*t consumers get online, so they just come up with their own lies to tell.

Ever since the net began shooting real stores in the foot with no return, all bets were off...

timechaser

timechaser

Audioholic Intern
A friend of mine was talking to me after I bought my HT (see my footer) system only recently. After telling him the setup I had, he said - why didnt you buy a Bose - they are much better, and all the cables come in the box so it wouldve been much easier. I pondered for a moment as to what to say, but ended up saying - I am afraid the bose was out of my budget. Marketing seems to work in such things...

BTW - I also have a comment on the sales guys. In the UK (where I live), if you go to a Dixons or Currys (kinda the equivalent of Best buy), you get trashy service from spotted kids who dont know a speaker from a subwoofer. However, there is also a chain of stores called Sevenoaks Sound and Vision where the salesperson will spend time auditioning what you want, and then asking you what you need etc. At the end of it, the advice will be practical, smart and within your budget. While buying my system I asked about a Yamaha RXV2600 (which was £500 more than the receiver he showed me). His answer was simple "The RXV2600 is an awesome receiver, but for the size of your room, your occasional usage, and the speaker setup you have bought, the DSP is perfectly capable of handling the sound. You would be better off saving the £500..." This attitude won him my sale - even though I stay in London, and this was in Edinburgh, I paid £50 extra in shipping for him to send it down.

C

cusky5oh

Enthusiast
I went to circuit city one day, looking for a center channel, i know i know, who goes to circuit city. but i own what is now a 5 channel infinity primus ht system and considering the price i feel it is a good system. anyway, he asked me if i wanted some speaker cable, i told the salesman that yes i would need some, but nothing flashy, i am a skeptic on speaker cables and feel that as long as the guage is correct, that in my case, i dont really need anything else. he was appalled. he explained to me that he had spent 250 dollars on his main speaker cables alone and couldnt be happier, then proceeded to bring me to the display (sponsered by our friends over at M0nster) that had a simple stereo receiver and 2 bookshelf speakers hooked up playing some jazz music, he pushed one button that played the speaker with the competitor's cable, pushed another and the speaker with the monster cable. i admitted that the sound was considerably more full and all around better sounding. then i looked where they had the cables displayed, monster 10 gauge premium super awesome radical cable (or whatever they market it as) on one speaker, and standard radio shack 24 gauge zip cord on the other (the kind that has copper on one side and the silverish colored stuff on the other to act as positive and negative). interesting i said, very interesting.

also, does anybody else in my age ground (early 20's) have a hard time getting any service whatsoever in an actual audio store? everywhere i go i get the same looks. here is a kid that doesnt have a clue of what he is talking about. wants a htib with a big sub so he can piss off the neighbors. to anybody that owns an electronics store and sees somebody such as myself in there, please at least talk to him a bit to see if he might actually appreciate the business you are in. and if he doesnt know a whole lot, take the time to maybe teach him a bit. and to Shane Drew of the "Audio Lab" in honolulu. thank you for doing just that ;)

majorloser

majorloser

cusky5oh said:
also, does anybody else in my age ground (early 20's) have a hard time getting any service whatsoever in an actual audio store? everywhere i go i get the same looks. here is a kid that doesnt have a clue of what he is talking about. wants a htib with a big sub so he can piss off the neighbors. to anybody that owns an electronics store and sees somebody such as myself in there, please at least talk to him a bit to see if he might actually appreciate the business you are in. and if he doesnt know a whole lot, take the time to maybe teach him a bit. and to Shane Drew of the "Audio Lab" in honolulu. thank you for doing just that ;)
Hey, I'm 40 and they ignore us old farts, too! When I bought most of my components a couple of years back, the staff in the store ignored me. Only one young new guy would help me out. I ended up spending about $20K that day with him. It's amazing when we went up to the register how many people wanted to talk to me. I ended up tell them all (including the store manager) to buzz off and leave me the hell alone! "You wouldn't give me the time of day 30 minutes ago and now you want to see if there is anything else I need, BLOW!"

This is why I call them "sales holes".

If you find a good one, stick with him.

D

dburchet

Audioholic Intern
cusky5oh said:
I know exactly what you mean, I had an experience just like this at Tweeter. I walked around the store looking to audition a new set of speakers for 30 minutes before someone finally decided to ask me if I had some questions. I politely abliged the guy and told him that his Polk speakers sounded good and that I would like to shop around. Then I went to Brian at Sound and Cinema here in Knoxville, the service was like night and day. As soon as he was finished talking with the guy that was there before me he asked me what I was looking for. We spent the next hour demoing several different manufacturers and price ranges til I found the one right for me. AND wow how I love my Dali Speakers.

Mr.BBQ

Mr.BBQ

Enthusiast
None of my friends really see eye to eye with me and the whole HT thing, questioning why I would drop a few hundred bucks on a reciever, or speakers. One day we were having a (rather passive) argument about it. I tried comparing my HT fixation with his computer gaming fixation. He said he needed a new comp for school, and he got one. His old one was fine, it did word, powerpoint, and even had the net. (In fact, it was only a few years old.) He went and (with the help of his brother in law) built a 1000 dollar gaming computer. Didn't think twice. I brought this up, and you know what his response was? "That's completely different." :rolleyes:

We never really settled the whole thing, and just kind of avoid the subject.

A few weeks later he's in my room with the (makeshift) HT setup. We watch a few movies and play some games in surround sound with the volume cranked. Not too long after he mentions how cool it all was, and that the surround sound really adds a nice touch. "Oh, and that sub of your really thumps!" (Oh for gods sakes, its a 150 watt 12in sony sub!) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Some people...

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
I got started on this mess about 40+ years ago when my Uncle gave me his unused old Marantz tuner and Fisher amp. I bought two speakers at a local stereo shop, they were pretty bad, but wow, I was under 9, and had a STEREO. My folks and I went to Chicago that year and they got me a turntable, a Garrard of some type, with a cheap cartrige of some kind, might have been ceramic, can't remember. When I was 14, I started working for my dad, and right accross the parking lot from his store was an appliance store that sold Dual, AR, Pioneer, Kenwood, Sansui, and all the other popular names from back then. I started putting stuff on layaway, and soon was taking home a HK 330A. My dad thought it was "stupid", and yelled at me the entire drive home. I told him I thought the money he spent on shoes and clothes was "stupid". He never really stopped complaining about it, even after I made money on it. :rolleyes:

About the same time, I found out that I could get stuff wholesale through that appliance store's wholesale division, and almost instantly, I took most of my money out of myu savings account, and bought several lower end receivers to resell to other kids in high school. They were gone instantly, and then I began selling them on "credit", half down, they took it home, and as long as they paid on time, no interest, but if they missed on, it was a 20 buck late fee added to the balance. And if they tried to screw me? My huge friend would pay them a visit. I was big enough, but he was 6'5" 260 pounds at 14, and added an inch and 10 pounds a year! Very few actually missed any payments, and only one guy ever actually didn't pay me off, he just left town one day, and never came back. :mad:

All through high school, I sold stereo equipment, and afterwards, everything was going good, until QUAD. I eventually got out of the business, and about the time I thought of going back into it, the wholesaler went under, like a bunch of others did around that time.

As far as goofy stories go, I have a friend, a really nice guy, but he's CHEAP. I mean so cheap, he actually complains about himself being cheap! He never buys anything for quality, just price. He can't seem to hear the difference between the junk factory radio in his truck, and the fairly high end set up I have in mine. He has bought several ham radios over the years, against my advice, and other's advice too, and then complains about the same things that we used as the basis for recommending he pass on it.

He decided to get into Home Theater a couple of years ago, and bought a really weak Pioneer 5.1 receiver, used, at a local pawn shop, and 2 old pioneer speakers at the local police auction. He used a huge, annoying pair of Cerwin Vegas for the fronts, and some little center channel speaker he got someplace on line. The center actually sounded ok. He hooks everything up and starts complaining about how bad it sounds, that the old console stereo he was using sounded better than the Pioneer, etc. I go over there and the woofer surrounds on all 4 speakers were basically dust. I break the news to him, and he says he will buy woofers someplace, or fix the surrounds. He doesn't say anything about it, so one day I was close by and call him and he's home, so I drop by. He's showing me his set up in the basement, and it sounds BAD, to put it mildly. His rear surrounds are way too loud, and sound very odd, to put it mildly. I look and see chrome through the grills, and say, "What's with the chome?" He takes the grill off one, and he had taken a 6x9" car speaker, and replaced the woofer with it! They were some junk brand, a $20 pair, and besides the angle iron mounting deal he did, he also left the original midrange and tweeters hooked up, and was running the 6X9 directly off the terminal block! Well, I started laughing, and he got angry, but agreed that it did sound a lot better when I clipped the mids and tweeters out of the Pioneers. He had replaced the woofer in the CV's, but he couldn't find one that fit, "That didn't cost a fortune" for the Pioneers. I asked him how much a "fortune" was, and he says, "Well, they wanted over 20 dollars apiece for just the woofers alone!" I snorted Iced tea out my nose on that one!
I told him this is/was the wrong hobby for him! His cheapness amazes and amuses me without end!

A

agabriel

Junior Audioholic
hehe

I started out as a kid, perhaps 12ish; long time ago. My first experience was with just audio. I rigged one of dads car radios (had and 8 track) up to two cheap speakers and used a lionel train power supply for dc power. I had a budget of $0 dollars and this seemed creative. I used the light on the front of radio to make a guess when I had appropriate voltage. The system worked until I took it apart a few months later.

My next experience came a few months later. We got this free TV from the oil company that my folks gave me since it was 12" and terrible. I had a bit of budget at this point and I got a JVC stereo receiver from highland. So I really wasn't happy with the sound from the TV, so I took it apart and spliced the internal speaker wire into s set of RCA cables. I drilled a hole into the side of the TVs plastic shell and wired it into the receiver. The system actually worked for about two years. I don't know if that was do to luck or what but it sounded great. Well one day, sometime after two years, the TV and receiver started filling the room/house with smoke (I didn't get grounded which was nice). So I unplugged it and started bringing things back up in stages. So I blew up the audio board in the receiver that the TV was plugged into and everything in the TV that ever hoped to do audio. Everything else worked, I was thrilled - I had a place to start V2 of the system from. So I found a top loading panasonic VCR (that couldn't play movies any more) and used that as tuner. I was able to plug it into the stereo and use it as a tuner for the TV; all was good in the world again. Then I decided I really wanted the VCR to work again, so I took apart and fixed it. Well I was grounded for fixing it as the repair guy said it would cost $150 to fix and I did it for free but I had a VCR that ran until I got another one at 21. I guess thats worth it.

So when I was in my early twenties I decide to start putting together a HT system. It has been evolving steadly since. I also decide EE wasn't for me and got into CS. Those were fun days, after all nothing can hurt you.

Anthony

Mr.BBQ

Mr.BBQ

Enthusiast
I can't help but notice, that a lot of the audioheads here start young (as did myself)

Just thought I'd point that out...:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis