FunkyWaves; for uncompromising men, the coolest of women, and Canadians.

manwithnocape

manwithnocape

Audioholic
8.2p...

So i read the audioholics review of the 8.2P and the dB Meter article. Im kinda interested in upgrading to a a pair. anyone want to buy my system?

pbc

pbc

Audioholic
dude. do you have any pics of your amp set up?

Just some basic ones thus far. Ended up bricking the unit right off the bat (stupidly hit "update" when I had both a USB and Ethernet connection on it, which apparently is a no no). Exchanged emails for about a week or two with Nathan and then he finally just sent me a new Alldsp card which I inserted (painfully and after having to use a blow torch to modify a Robertson # 1 screw driver to get at the screw that held the board in place! :D).

Here are some pics...

Attachments

pbc

pbc

Audioholic
Some initial comments:

- Amp is silent. Haven't heard the fan turn on except possibly when you first start it up. EXACTLY what my QSC RMX5050 was not!

- It looks gorgeous, the pics do not do it justice. Great finish on the amp. Great quality, relatively thick steel used. Good heft to it. Heat sinks on the side just look plain mean.

- Can hook up via Ethernet cable (or USB cable if you want) and do all adjustments via the PC. I actually haven't even tried it via the knob at the front.

- Can save 80 presets to the amp itself (interesting feature, guess if you wanted to setup different house curves, etc. that this is useful).

- Software is pretty flexible once you get the hang of it (took me a bit and Nathan helped me out somewhat)

Minor Complaints:

- There is no power on/off switch or 12v trigger. You basically plug it in and it turns on.

- You have to plug both power cords in at exactly the same time or one of the two modules will remain in standby.

- Very little guidance/support/documentation provided. If you understand how to use say MiniDSP you should be okay after the initial shock of "what the heck does this do" wears off! But this isn't for novice users. This may not be the case for people buying a sub from Nathan as I would imagine he provides some recommended curves/settings? But would have loved to have gotten some for my DIY AV15H dual opposed, the Compressor/Limiter ones in particular. But not sure this is feasible.

- There appears to be no dimmer on the unit (none that I've found yet), and the display is damn bright, all the time! In standby the display doesn't dim either.

- Nathan is apparently a really busy guy. So some emails can go a day or more without being responded to (mind you, when my board fried I was a bit anxious to get a new one!)

Overall, I love the unit. The lack of a dedicated power on/off is the biggest annoyance thus far, but I'm learning to live with it.

F

funky waves

Junior Audioholic
Due to feedback from these first units, we are going to be making some improvements(once these are finalized we will offer a trade in program for these first units should anyone wish to take advantage of the improvements), we are changing the power input from two power cords to one heavier duty cord to solve the issue of having to plug in both cords simultaneously, and we will be adding an on/off switch(circuit breaker switch), even though we recommend leaving it on and using the standby feature(very low standby draw, and is auto on with signal).

PBC; As yours was a special case where you have your subwoofers already the support we can offer for setup is limited as without measurements of your subs we cannot determine the limiter/compressor settings for your application. Normally these are only be for sale with our subwoofer products and they will come with the appropriate settings and several preprogrammed presets that can very easily be selected via the front interface. Access to all the DSP functions is normally only available upon request and we will walk you through its use on an individual basis, the software is very powerful and to avoid possible inadvertent changes to settings that should not be changed we would rather do this than make a complicated manual that could be misunderstood.

manwithnocape

manwithnocape

Audioholic
Some initial comments:

- Amp is silent. Haven't heard the fan turn on except possibly when you first start it up. EXACTLY what my QSC RMX5050 was not!

- It looks gorgeous, the pics do not do it justice. Great finish on the amp. Great quality, relatively thick steel used. Good heft to it. Heat sinks on the side just look plain mean.

- Can hook up via Ethernet cable (or USB cable if you want) and do all adjustments via the PC. I actually haven't even tried it via the knob at the front.

- Can save 80 presets to the amp itself (interesting feature, guess if you wanted to setup different house curves, etc. that this is useful).

- Software is pretty flexible once you get the hang of it (took me a bit and Nathan helped me out somewhat)

Minor Complaints:

- There is no power on/off switch or 12v trigger. You basically plug it in and it turns on.

- You have to plug both power cords in at exactly the same time or one of the two modules will remain in standby.

- Very little guidance/support/documentation provided. If you understand how to use say MiniDSP you should be okay after the initial shock of "what the heck does this do" wears off! But this isn't for novice users. This may not be the case for people buying a sub from Nathan as I would imagine he provides some recommended curves/settings? But would have loved to have gotten some for my DIY AV15H dual opposed, the Compressor/Limiter ones in particular. But not sure this is feasible.

- There appears to be no dimmer on the unit (none that I've found yet), and the display is damn bright, all the time! In standby the display doesn't dim either.

- Nathan is apparently a really busy guy. So some emails can go a day or more without being responded to (mind you, when my board fried I was a bit anxious to get a new one!)

Overall, I love the unit. The lack of a dedicated power on/off is the biggest annoyance thus far, but I'm learning to live with it.
Cool, and good to know. One thing. Its aluminum. ;) I can tell from the anodizing, its the same as my plate amp in my system. :D funny thing, i have yet to find my fan running, and the amp is cool all the time. amazing heat sinking abilities.
Thats too bad about the documentation and manuals. Usually he coaches people through set up, but I know he's been getting really busy lately. I scheduled a 2 hr time slot with to get my system dialed in. No probs :cool:
I think he does a online remote set up too... might want to ask him about that.

manwithnocape

manwithnocape

Audioholic
Just some basic ones thus far. Ended up bricking the unit right off the bat (stupidly hit "update" when I had both a USB and Ethernet connection on it, which apparently is a no no). Exchanged emails for about a week or two with Nathan and then he finally just sent me a new Alldsp card which I inserted (painfully and after having to use a blow torch to modify a Robertson # 1 screw driver to get at the screw that held the board in place! :D).

Here are some pics...
:( ugh. i bet you had a mini stroke.

pbc

pbc

Audioholic
Cool, and good to know. One thing. Its aluminum. ;) I can tell from the anodizing, its the same as my plate amp in my system. :D funny thing, i have yet to find my fan running, and the amp is cool all the time. amazing heat sinking abilities.
Thats too bad about the documentation and manuals. Usually he coaches people through set up, but I know he's been getting really busy lately. I scheduled a 2 hr time slot with to get my system dialed in. No probs :cool:
I think he does a online remote set up too... might want to ask him about that.

Yeah... sorry, anodized aluminum! Tell you though, it's one heavy aluminum piece!

Wasn't happy when the unit bricked, that's for sure.

manwithnocape

manwithnocape

Audioholic
Is anyone doing any shopping for the Bring on the Funk sale?
Im hoping to get my hooks in a pair of 8.2P's

manwithnocape

manwithnocape

Audioholic
I live about 45 min away from Funk Audio's studio. Nathan invited me out for a showing of his new 18.2 with his 5kW 18 inch driver. o.........m........g.........:eek:
no measurments, but it is nothing short of the best thing i have ever heard, me thinks the sub2 is in a wee bit of trouble. :D

B

Banisher

Audiophyte
Something cool came in the mail today, but I don't have an RCA-XLR adaptor :(

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Nice.... BTW...I hate you too...jk:D. I already saw your pic over at AVS but I never get tired of seeing/or looking at Nates work....btw what speakers have you paired up with this beast?

manwithnocape

manwithnocape

Audioholic
i think Funk needs a new thread name, or at least an edit. this funky waves name died over a year and a half ago. just sayin.

B

Banisher

Audiophyte
I'm using Sierra-1 NRT's as mains and a Horizon as the center. It may be time to step up to towers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Darn. If I had seen your sub last year, I would have gotten exactly like yours. Piano black gloss would look so awesome with my 802D2 piano black gloss. If I had seen your sub 2-3 yrs ago, I would have gotten piano black gloss on the Salon2 & Orion as well. In another life. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm using Sierra-1 NRT's as mains and a Horizon as the center. It may be time to step up to towers.
I don't think it's "necessary" to get towers with the Funk 18.0. But I know it's itching. :D

Funk 8.2P towers in matching black piano gloss? :D

I would love to see a picture of that. :D

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Darn. If I had seen your sub last year, I would have gotten exactly like yours. Piano black gloss would look so awesome with my 802D2 piano black gloss. If I had seen your sub 2-3 yrs ago, I would have gotten piano black gloss on the Salon2 & Orion as well. In another life. :D
I just dunno about that....
I used to like the piano gloss finish, but then after having it on some of my gear for a while, I just can't do it anymore. Just too many smudges/fingerprints, the dust shows up quickly, and reflections are distracting in the living room.

I know I've said it before, but same story on my Mustang. Man when it's clean for all of 1 day after a car wash, it looks sharp. But every little spec of dirt and blemish shows up. It's nothing but matte black for me from now on. And most likely I will get my car repainted matte black one day too.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just dunno about that....
I used to like the piano gloss finish, but then after having it on some of my gear for a while, I just can't do it anymore. Just too many smudges/fingerprints, the dust shows up quickly, and reflections are distracting in the living room.
Yeah, but Banisher's piano gloss black F18.0 with horizontal & vertical rounded corners is probably the best looking sub I have ever seen. It looks better than any Revel, B&W, KEF, Paradigm, or JL sub I've ever seen. :D

Okay, I don't want to look at it anymore fearing a case of SUB INCEPTION. :eek:

Last edited:
billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah...I was looking towards stepping up to the 18.0C or even the 18.0 but my plan to sell my current sub didn't pan out...:(. I made the move to the Towers from the 1 NrT's myself....I know AA had a sale on the Piano gloss Towers recently....they would've fitted right in IMHO...that sub looks stunning.

PS: You should post a picture of that set up over at the AA forum!

Regards, Bill...:)

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, but Banisher's piano gloss black F18.0 with horizontal & vertical rounded corners is probably the best looking sub I have ever seen. It looks better than any Revel, B&W, KEF, Paradigm, or JL sub I've ever seen. :D

Okay, I don't want to look at it anymore fearing a case of SUB INCEPTION. :eek:
Then, you better not look at his pictures over at AVS..:p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis