Fully Marty to pb16 ultra

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
I made a diy sub for my main floor- Dayton 12 hf, the wife thinks it’s too big and wants smaller one so I was looking at buying a svs sb3000.. then now it’s turned into my replacing my 2 - 18” Dayton utlimax subs in my theatre with inuke 6000 to a single pb16 ultra.. I know it won’t be as smooth going from duals to a single but I’m starting to hate these fridges in my theatre. I can’t move these around as they are so big it’s hard

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I made a diy sub for my main floor- Dayton 12 hf, the wife thinks it’s too big and wants smaller one so I was looking at buying a svs sb3000.. then now it’s turned into my replacing my 2 - 18” Dayton utlimax subs in my theatre with inuke 6000 to a single pb16 ultra.. I know it won’t be as smooth going from duals to a single but I’m starting to hate these fridges in my theatre. I can’t move these around as they are so big it’s hard
The SVS will be a freezer to move around :D

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
The SVS will be a freezer to move around :D
Oh I know! I’m not too worried about that. My issue with my Dayton’s are the boxes are so big and tall I can’t stick it on a side wall or rear wall as it just looks way too funny. It’s pretty much mostly just me down in the theatre but I still like it to look good also. I’m just worried I bring the 16 ultra home and it doesn't do what these can plus some. I also have a massive dip from 60-80hz that dips very low. I can’t move my couch any more and I can’t move the subs at all so I’ve lived with it and it’s been fine but I feel like I could move the 16 ultra more (both front corners or behind the couch or side wall or rear wall..

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Instead of one big sub, why not look at getting a bunch of small subs? That will net you a flatter response overall. Look at the less expensive subs from Hsu, Monoprice Monolith, Outlaw Audio... You could get four VTF-2 MK5s for the price of a single PB16-Ultra, and you would get the same SPL with a much flatter response across all listening positions, and unpacking and moving them isn't nearly as difficult.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yep those full marty sub boxes are big! You may take a hit on full on performance losing them, but if they're in the way....what are you going to do with the boxes?

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
I should have mentioned I live in Canada and the svs dealer by me has one in his own house. Barley used. $1200 off full price and comes with full warranty.. I thought about doing multiple cheaper ones but they will be way more money. Buying 2 pb3000 would be more money then the single pb16 ultra (not by much).. also with the full Marty boxes give them to the buyer who buys the Daytons or toss them I guess. Not sure

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like a good deal. Big subs like that you just might not get many takers on, but the drivers would probably be easier to sell (and ship if necessary). Heck I'd consider taking even just the boxes off your hands if I were in the 'hood.....always wanted to play with those but didn't want to build 'em (I went sealed instead).

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
Another option would be switching the um18’s to sealed and possibly adding 2 more.. not sure how the would be down low but I see a lot of people like them sealed. But I remember seeing a video or someone pouring water onto the cone and it leaked through as the fibreglass cone isn’t fully sealed up?
Or use the pb16ultra and one or 2 um18’s.. possibly sealed or is that going to open up a can of worms when it comes time to room correction and eq.
The Marty cube is also a good size but I would loose a lot down low..

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Another option would be switching the um18’s to sealed and possibly adding 2 more.. not sure how the would be down low but I see a lot of people like them sealed. But I remember seeing a video or someone pouring water onto the cone and it leaked through as the fibreglass cone isn’t fully sealed up?
Or use the pb16ultra and one or 2 um18’s.. possibly sealed or is that going to open up a can of worms when it comes time to room correction and eq.
That driver is suited for sealed, and plays low with power and eq. It's been done many times. Seatons F18s are not that big for 18" subs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wouldn't combine the ported 16 with the sealed 18s particularly, altho getting more UM18s and putting them all in sealed boxes is more the route I took (but I have room for the boxes, didn't want to particularly deal with the size in the building/finishing, tho). If you have the iNuke 6000dsp model, you have the dsp to deal with sealed as well as ported in any case.

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
I think I am going to go with the 4 sealed um18’s now. I found a guy that did it with same subs and amp and been chatting with him and sounds likes it’s a good route to go.. 4 sealed 4cubic foot boxes and 2 inuke 6000. The smaller sealed box will give me more room to move them around a bit and I actually don’t have the dsp model but I have the minidsp 2x4 so I can eq all 4 subs then run my anthem arc genesis room correction after.. I guess I’ll be upgrading my main floor sub after all then move onto the theatre upgrade!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I think I am going to go with the 4 sealed um18’s now. I found a guy that did it with same subs and amp and been chatting with him and sounds likes it’s a good route to go.. 4 sealed 4cubic foot boxes and 2 inuke 6000. The smaller sealed box will give me more room to move them around a bit and I actually don’t have the dsp model but I have the minidsp 2x4 so I can eq all 4 subs then run my anthem arc genesis room correction after.. I guess I’ll be upgrading my main floor sub after all then move onto the theatre upgrade!
Sounds like a good plan. One I actually plan on doing to. It's interesting considering I thought of doing 4 full marty's in my room, but am concerned about their size as well.

I was going to use a different driver though, but their site suggested it would be an excellent one.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like a good plan. One I actually plan on doing to. It's interesting considering I thought of doing 4 full marty's in my room, but am concerned about their size as well.

I was going to use a different driver though, but their site suggested it would be an excellent one.
What other driver would work in the full Marty (that's still available)?

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic

I’ve always seen multiple sealed subs in people’s theatre rooms but I haven’t ran a sealed sub in like 10years and that was in car audio. So I’m excited to see. I’m finishing up one sealed box today and then I can test one out first. Picking up another inuke6000 in a few days used. A sb3000 for the main floor this weekend and will be ordering a minidsp also for the main floor to eq the mains and blend the sb3000. Then after I’ll order 2 more um18’s. So I have a bunch of work cut out over the next little bit! But from what I’ve heard the 4 sealed is a lot tighter and cleaner and the output is suppose to be really good. I’ve been playing around with my room correction this past week and the bass has gotten pretty close to where I like it but I’m always wanting more!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
What other driver would work in the full Marty (that's still available)?
Apparently quite a few according to this.

I'm skeptical of this driver considering the price, but I'm willing to try. They rate it as excellent in their comparison table. I figure 4 of these in a room would be something.

If not I'll go back to the 4 ultimax sealed plan.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I’ve always seen multiple sealed subs in people’s theatre rooms but I haven’t ran a sealed sub in like 10years and that was in car audio. So I’m excited to see. I’m finishing up one sealed box today and then I can test one out first. Picking up another inuke6000 in a few days used. A sb3000 for the main floor this weekend and will be ordering a minidsp also for the main floor to eq the mains and blend the sb3000. Then after I’ll order 2 more um18’s. So I have a bunch of work cut out over the next little bit! But from what I’ve heard the 4 sealed is a lot tighter and cleaner and the output is suppose to be really good. I’ve been playing around with my room correction this past week and the bass has gotten pretty close to where I like it but I’m always wanting more!
I've always been a big fan of sealed subs, what I have now.

I will say the marty is an interesting design that gets a lot of praise, but I'm leery of how large they are.

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
I've always been a big fan of sealed subs, what I have now.

I will say the marty is an interesting design that gets a lot of praise, but I'm leery of how large they are.
I’m excited to see how they turn out.. I’ve built one just waiting for it to dry up and then I will stuff it and test it out. I checked around last night and I could have 10 different configurations when I look at placement for 4 subs. Vs the full Marty that limited me huge on placement

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I’m excited to see how they turn out.. I’ve built one just waiting for it to dry up and then I will stuff it and test it out. I checked around last night and I could have 10 different configurations when I look at placement for 4 subs. Vs the full Marty that limited me huge on placement
That's awesome. Have you checked out the REW Room Simulator? Pretty good starting point to finding the best placement with multiple subs.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Great link! A lot of good info hanging out there. Thanks for posting it.
No problem. I'm still surprised that they used such a "cheap" driver. 4 of those in room would be fantastic, but it'll take me a bit to find out.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis