FS: Yamaha AS-801 Integrated Amp with USB DAC

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
MSRP: $999
Asking: $750

The Yamaha AS-801 Integrated Amp with high quality USB DAC is a gem of a product. It has a meaty amplifier section rated at 100wpc but actually measured 105wpc both channels driven at 8 ohms and 185wpc both channels driven into 4 ohms full bandwidth from my bench tests. This amp sounds great in every mode of operation, especially when streaming from a PC using the internal high quality USB-B DAC which accepts 192kHz/24bit PCM and SACD.

I'm selling it only because I'm moving and redoing all of the audio systems in the new home. MY loss is your gain. Audiophiles rejoice this is Yamaha old-school sound quality with the latest up to date features.

Check out my full review with listening tests and measurements here:
https://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews/yamaha-a-s801-amplifier-review

AS-801-inside.jpg

Specifications:
  • 100 W x 2-ch (20 Hz - 20 kHz at .019% THD+N, 8 ohms)
  • USB DAC function supports native DSD resolutions (2.8 MHz / 5.6 MHz) and PCM (384 kHz / 32-bit)
  • Digital signal indicator shows DSD and PCM playback formats and sampling frequencies
  • High efficiency ESS Technology 32-bit DAC (ES9010K2M)
  • Digital audio inputs for TV or Blu-ray Disc™ player
  • CD Direct Amplification and Pure Direct
  • High-strength chassis with double-bottom design for excellent dampening of vibrations
  • ToP-ART (Total Purity Audio Reproduction Technology) and high quality parts
  • I/O (input to output) direct symmetrical design
  • ART (Anti-Resonance and Tough) Base
  • Custom made power transformer / 12,000 µF block capacitors / extruded aluminum heat sinks
  • Gold-plated speaker terminals and RCA terminals
  • Continuously Variable Loudness Control
  • Dimensions: 17-1/8" x 6" x 15-1/4"
  • Weight: 26.7lbs
AS801-hero.jpg

AS801-back.jpg

AS801-remote.jpg

Last edited:
P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
Very interested, in the market for one for my mother fir a late/early xmas present, also have some questions about general speaker setup if you dont mind with this sort of amp as it looks like you had bookshelves hooked up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Very interested, in the market for one for my mother fir a late/early xmas present, also have some questions about general speaker setup if you dont mind with this sort of amp as it looks like you had bookshelves hooked up.

I had this particular model running a pair of KEF R500 floor standers and it was a very nice pairing. What else would you like to know?

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
I had this particular model running a pair of KEF R500 floor standers and it was a very nice pairing. What else would you like to know?
Piecing together a system for my mother, and floor standers/towers not really a option because she will be moving later this year and space. So want to do a 2.0 or 2.1 system. Would bookshelves with a 51/4 woofer blow trying to drive them hard? Really surprised theres not really high pass filter options (car industry hard to find NO high pass options lol.

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
Like right now the kef LS50s are $400 off, if I were to hook these up for mom to rock out to, would the woofer be committing suicide?

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Well, I've never blown a speaker in my life (though I know people who have, mostly through negligence). I really cannot see "blowing" the LS50s with the Yamaha amp through normal to high level listening, but I guess it is possible... One would have to be playing stupid loud to do so.

That being said, at sane levels, the Yamaha and LS50 should make for and excellent pairing.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Like right now the kef LS50s are $400 off, if I were to hook these up for mom to rock out to, would the woofer be committing suicide?

Depends how loud she likes to play....to my understanding the LS50 is not an spl monster.

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
Depends how loud she likes to play....to my understanding the LS50 is not an spl monster.
That's the issue I mentioned in my original post. (Helping a old lady) looking for quality SPL for her to rock out to, not imaging, coloration etc. As I'm sure they wont even be pointing in the same direction, or on nice stands, but have ability to crank some rock, and have finesse for the nutcracker at Christmas time.....
I feel bad I hijacked this guys post. I didn't mean to. Please look up old lady if you can, the more information I have to get her the best for my $, the better, and thanks for all the great information!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Piecing together a system for my mother, and floor standers/towers not really a option because she will be moving later this year and space. So want to do a 2.0 or 2.1 system. Would bookshelves with a 51/4 woofer blow trying to drive them hard?
I've heard the KEF LS50s and the Yamaha A-S801, but not hooked together, at the same time. And no, I don't think the LS50 would be in danger of blowing with a 100 wpc Yamaha amp.

FWIW, a factory refurbished Yamaha A-S801, with 1 year warranty, is available for $620.
Really surprised theres not really high pass filter options (car industry hard to find NO high pass options lol.
Not to worry, especially with KEF LS50s. These speakers roll-off on their own below 50 Hz according to a 2012 review. As you go lower than 50 Hz, the sound output drops off with a steep slope, roughly 24 db/octave. See the black trace below. The red trace is the output from the port.
1581691999504.png

Home audio and car audio actually have quite a few differences. The need for high-pass options when running a sub woofer depend heavily on location options for the speakers and the subs. In cars there are often few choices. In home audio there are many.

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
Just wanted to say thanks for all the info guys! Went with the 801, and yamaha components, this guy never responded so went and bought new.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Just wanted to say thanks for all the info guys! Went with the 801, and yamaha components, this guy never responded so went and bought new.

So, um, since this was a “for sale” thread, did you contact the seller?

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
So, um, since this was a “for sale” thread, did you contact the seller?
Oh, I thought my first post on here was contacting the seller?..... for future reference how would one do that?
(Because after I get a house I want to buy and audition some heritage klipsch)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, I thought my first post on here was contacting the seller?..... for future reference how would one do that?
(Because after I get a house I want to buy and audition some heritage klipsch)

Generally saying you're interested as you did should initiate a conversation....maybe you need to actually tag Gene ( @gene ) or send him a personal message....

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Sorry, due to my busy schedule, I don't often monitor threads and assumed an interested buyer would send me a PM. I'm selling a bunch of reference gear so anyone interested, please PM me.

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
Generally saying you're interested as you did should initiate a conversation....maybe you need to actually tag Gene ( @gene ) or send him a personal message....
Oh jeez. Ok, I'll have to figure out how to do that. Sorry!

S

surdzo

Audiophyte
does yamaha as-801 is good match with sonus faber sonetto 2?
MSRP: $999
Asking: $750

The Yamaha AS-801 Integrated Amp with high quality USB DAC is a gem of a product. It has a meaty amplifier section rated at 100wpc but actually measured 105wpc both channels driven at 8 ohms and 185wpc both channels driven into 4 ohms full bandwidth from my bench tests. This amp sounds great in every mode of operation, especially when streaming from a PC using the internal high quality USB-B DAC which accepts 192kHz/24bit PCM and SACD.

I'm selling it only because I'm moving and redoing all of the audio systems in the new home. MY loss is your gain. Audiophiles rejoice this is Yamaha old-school sound quality with the latest up to date features.

Check out my full review with listening tests and measurements here:
https://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews/yamaha-a-s801-amplifier-review

View attachment 33289
Specifications:
  • 100 W x 2-ch (20 Hz - 20 kHz at .019% THD+N, 8 ohms)
  • USB DAC function supports native DSD resolutions (2.8 MHz / 5.6 MHz) and PCM (384 kHz / 32-bit)
  • Digital signal indicator shows DSD and PCM playback formats and sampling frequencies
  • High efficiency ESS Technology 32-bit DAC (ES9010K2M)
  • Digital audio inputs for TV or Blu-ray Disc™ player
  • CD Direct Amplification and Pure Direct
  • High-strength chassis with double-bottom design for excellent dampening of vibrations
  • ToP-ART (Total Purity Audio Reproduction Technology) and high quality parts
  • I/O (input to output) direct symmetrical design
  • ART (Anti-Resonance and Tough) Base
  • Custom made power transformer / 12,000 µF block capacitors / extruded aluminum heat sinks
  • Gold-plated speaker terminals and RCA terminals
  • Continuously Variable Loudness Control
  • Dimensions: 17-1/8" x 6" x 15-1/4"
  • Weight: 26.7lbs
View attachment 33290

View attachment 33291

View attachment 33292

does yamaha as-801 is good match with sonus faber sonetto 2?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis