Frank Capra's "Lost Horizon" 4K Restoration

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have been 'upgrading' some titles in my movie collection, and recently got the 1937 film on blu-ray "Lost Horizon". The case says "Fully Restored & Mastered in 4K", but the fine print seems to say it's 1080P HD (High Definition), this seems a contradiction, is 4K the same as 1080P HD? I've got Blu-Rays of classic black & white movies in "new 2K restoration" so it's a little confusing.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I have been 'upgrading' some titles in my movie collection, and recently got the 1937 film on blu-ray "Lost Horizon". The case says "Fully Restored & Mastered in 4K", but the fine print seems to say it's 1080P HD (High Definition), this seems a contradiction, is 4K the same as 1080P HD? I've got Blu-Rays of classic black & white movies in "new 2K restoration" so it's a little confusing.
It means that all the restoration work was done in a 4k resolution, and then it was 'down-mixed' to a 1080P resolution for consumers. That means that all the restoration work was done at a finer level, so it is a good thing, although not as good as if it were simply released in 4k to consumers, but better than if the restoration work were done at a 2k resolution level.

Chances are that it will see a full 4k release sometime in the future, although perhaps not near future.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
It means that all the restoration work was done in a 4k resolution, and then it was 'down-mixed' to a 1080P resolution for consumers. That means that all the restoration work was done at a finer level, so it is a good thing, although not as good as if it were simply released in 4k to consumers, but better than if the restoration work were done at a 2k resolution level.

Chances are that it will see a full 4k release sometime in the future, although perhaps not near future.
So I don't need to rush out and buy a 4K TV and 4K player right away! :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis