CaliHwyPatrol

CaliHwyPatrol

Audioholic Chief
I've always had European and Japanese cars, but I bought a Lincoln a year back and it hasn't given me any problems so far. I believe Lincoln is built by Ford.
Didn't you ever see The Postman? One of the kid's names was Ford Lincoln Mercury. :D

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Me too Jamie right-on ! two 6-speeds : one coupe , one convertible

Also Toyota and Lexus :D

===========

I am ready to start my anti-Jiff Lube rant soon!

Later,

MidCow2
ISF's are where it's at. This was our last one, after detailing, about to go to a new home.

This is me revving the snot out of it. :D

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Those ISFs sure are nice looking. Too bad that they're so pricey. :)
That one was listed for 70 grand and sold for 56. Frick I almost bought the damn thing.

SheepStar

mperfct

mperfct

Audioholic Samurai
I love my bimmers. I have an e36 m3 daily driver now, but hope to get something newer/bigger in the next year or so. It's disappointing to see American manufacturers having slid so far, but I think Ford is making huge strides in quality. European quality is really a mish-mash, some cars are great and some are Land Rovers. I figure that as long as I perform my basic maintenance, ownership costs are not too bad. That's alright with me.

I don't think that the average American car will never be equal to the average European car in terms of overall driving experience because Americans and Europeans expect different things from there cars. Most BMW's have the worst cup holders and stereos because they expect drivers to actually pay attention to the road. I appreciate that, even though I can only drink out of dixie cups in my M. :p

jinjuku

jinjuku

I love my bimmers. I think Ford is making huge strides in quality. European quality is really a mish-mash, some cars are great and some are Land Rovers.
Every time I see some yuppie driving a Land/Range Rover and so proud of it. If they were 1/2 as smart as they think they are, they would have done some reasearch.

That research would have told them how dismal the reliability and repair record is.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I'm a fan of Ford, and I really dislike Chevy's... but I drive a Honda.

jinjuku

jinjuku

My Dad was a 'Buy American' for the longest time. Quite stubborn about it:

2 cavaliers (why they bought the 2nd after first died at 56K, I will never know). The 2nd cavalier died at 84K. They purchased a Beretta that made it to 122K.

Now they own a Camry:rolleyes:

E

EYEdROP0

Audioholic
In my experience, any abused vehicle, whether its a Dodge, Kia, Ford, or Toyota, will not last very long at all. If the vehicle is properly maintained and serviced to the manufacturers schedule, it should be reliable past 175,000+ miles. Stories you hear about cars dying as young as 100,000 miles are simply from neglect.

The truth is, American, Japanese, German, and Korean cars are all very much alike. The technology is modern and pricing is usually competitive in the consumer class. The performance, MPG, reliability, saftey, and features will all be similar to eachother in the same class and price categories, give or take a few different pros or cons from certain models.

I just like to give my money to America, thats all.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
I respectfully disagree with everything you said!

In my experience, any abused vehicle, whether its a Dodge, Kia, Ford, or Toyota, will not last very long at all. If the vehicle is properly maintained and serviced to the manufacturers schedule, it should be reliable past 175,000+ miles. Stories you hear about cars dying as young as 100,000 miles are simply from neglect.
I respectfully disagree and I have bought and had a lot of cars (somewhere beween 25-30) both american and foreign. Since Ford Customer service screwed me in 1995, I have not bought another American car.

The truth is, American, Japanese, German, and Korean cars are all very much alike. The technology is modern and pricing is usually competitive in the consumer class. The performance, MPG, reliability, saftey, and features will all be similar to eachother in the same class and price categories, give or take a few different pros or cons from certain models.
That just simply isn't true. The only truth is that the base level of quality has gone up on all cars. almost all cars have fuel injection and 100,000 plug life and much better transmission technology. There is minimal maintenace besides regular oil and filter changes and tires. But there is no way a Rio is as reliable as a Camry.

I just like to give my money to America, thats all.
That is another uninformed statement. Many domesitc cars are built overseas with some foreign parts and many foreign cars are built in USA factories and use some USA parts. What Ameica people are you giving it too?

MidCow2

Last edited:
Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
I love my bimmers. I have an e36 m3 daily driver now, but hope to get something newer/bigger in the next year or so. It's disappointing to see American manufacturers having slid so far, but I think Ford is making huge strides in quality. European quality is really a mish-mash, some cars are great and some are Land Rovers. I figure that as long as I perform my basic maintenance, ownership costs are not too bad. That's alright with me.

I don't think that the average American car will never be equal to the average European car in terms of overall driving experience because Americans and Europeans expect different things from there cars. Most BMW's have the worst cup holders and stereos because they expect drivers to actually pay attention to the road. I appreciate that, even though I can only drink out of dixie cups in my M. :p
had a 98 5-speed E36 M3 sedan, one of the two years they made the sedan. My wife hated it and then when a lady ran a red left turn light in front of me and it did $14K damge it just wasn't the same. Any non- free maintence repairs were very ,very expensive. Sometimes I miss it , but the cars I have now I like pretty well. You are rigth the cupholders suck. I also didn't like the ornge lighting; hard for me to see without reading glasses on; i like luminence white on black.

I had the upraded Harmon Kardon radio and it was pretty sweet.

Later,

MidCow2

E

EYEdROP0

Audioholic
I respectfully disagree and I have bought and had a lot of cars (somewhere beween 25-30) both american and foreign. Since Ford Customer service srewed me in 1995, I have not bought another American car.
Ive heard both good and bad things from all companies about customer service. You are among the many that have bad luck or poor service with dealerships, domestic and foreign alike. Mabey Japanese offer superior service, but Chevy offers cheaper parts.

That just simply isn't true. The only truth is that the base level of quality has gone up on all cars. almost all cars have fuel injection and 100,000 plug life and much better transmission technology. There is minimal maintenace besides regular oil and filter changes and tires. But there is no way a Rio is as reliable as a Camry.
Of course the Camry is more reliable. Kia's are P.O.S., lifeless underperforming cars. But they are cheaper than everyone else's, on top of that the warrantys they offer are unbeatable for the price you pay.

Like I said, give or take a few pros or cons from each make/model. For example, look at the 2008 small car rankings on this page:

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Affordable-Small-Cars/

The friggin Hyundai Elantra is ranked 5th, but the Toyota Corolla is 15th and Focus 17th.

There is a car for everyone that offers different characteristics and strong points. Its all subjective, like audio. There happens to be a Japanese prefrence lately. They make a great car, but the American cars arent far off at all. Even JD Power said the differences are small.

That is another uninformed statement. Many domesitc cars are built overseas with some foreign parts and many foreign cars are built in USA factories and use some USA parts. What Ameica people are you giving it too?
Yeah, I relise most corporations outsource manufacturing. But they are still American based at the headquarters. If you buy a Honda, Id assume you would be giving more money to Japan than America or any other country for that matter.

MidCow2[/QUOTE]

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Ive heard both good and bad things from all companies about customer service. You are among the many that have bad luck or poor service with dealerships, domestic and foreign alike. Mabey Japanese offer superior service, but Chevy offers cheaper parts.
I have found Toyota offers cheap parts, but I agree with Chevy less expensive

Of course the Camry is more reliable. Kia's are P.O.S., lifeless underperforming cars. But they are cheaper than everyone else's, on top of that the warrantys they offer are unbeatable for the price you pay.

Like I said, give or take a few pros or cons from each make/model. For example, look at the 2008 small car rankings on this page:

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Affordable-Small-Cars/

The friggin Hyundai Elantra is ranked 5th, but the Toyota Corolla is 15th and Focus 17th.

There is a car for everyone that offers different characteristics and strong points. Its all subjective, like audio. There happens to be a Japanese prefrence lately. They make a great car, but the American cars arent far off at all. Even JD Power said the differences are small.
I agree, some have higher initial reliability and the MTBF is difierent when different qualities of parts are used. I think some cars will have trouble making it to 100K miles even if maintained and driven with TLC.

Yeah, I relise most corporations outsource manufacturing. But they are still American based at the headquarters. If you buy a Honda, Id assume you would be giving more money to Japan than America or any other country for that matter.
Actually Honda pays a lot of USA worker wages now. There are whole lot of Honda factories in USA. So I think if you buy a Honda most of your money goes to USA.

EYEdROPO Good responses thanks for the feedback.

Later,

MidCow2

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
I go for Chevy all the way. In my work and personally I have owned and driven dozens of new and used cars and trucks. I prefer the Chevys hands down. I like the ride, looks and resale value better. On average, Chevys have historically gotten better gas mileage, as well.

As for repairs, each have their own strengths and weaknesses. Overall, the Chevys probably have held up better for me and as mentioned, the parts are typically less expensive when you do have to buy them. We have several of both at work and the Fords have more problems, most of them major such as engine and transmission failures before the Chevys. Brakes are bad on both.

I got a new Ranger in '94 that never had any problems. It came from the factory with a bent belt pulley. Other than that, it went for ~120k with absolutely no failures. I THINK I changed the brakes once. The clutch was still even original. Wow, was it ever underpowered, though!:rolleyes: It had the 3 litre six in it and it was puh-thetic. Diesel powered full size GMs from the mid eighties would outrun it.:eek:

As for the bailouts and how the big three have done business over the last 3 decades or so, well, I'm not going there.:( I will say that I think their zenith was the mid 50's to early 70's. Great cars!;)

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
Whats your favorite? I mean, we all know any vehicle will last with proper maintenance. But which brand has been more reliable for you?
I've owned both over the years.......Based on past experience, this is what sits in my garage NOW.

I also once owned a Ford Explorer "Limited Edition"......Not a bad SUV, but I won't buy another.

E

EYEdROP0

Audioholic
I saw one of those new challengers today in person, same color. Its a really nice car. lol.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I've had a lot of Fords over the years, being a Ford employee and all. As a rule, they've been very good, except my '01 Cobra. I decided after the Cobra that I wouldn't give SVT products any more of my money and I'm very happy with my decision to go with the Corvette this time around.

I don't get the obsession with Honda and Toyota but I seem to be in the minority on that issue.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis