E

EYEdROP0

Audioholic
Whats your favorite? I mean, we all know any vehicle will last with proper maintenance. But which brand has been more reliable for you?

My Dad has owned many older and newer trucks in the past 15 years, most of them F150 and Rangers. Weve had a few chevys with 350 V8's in them, along with an S10. They all ran strong but it seemed like we wrenched on the chevys more. The parts were cheap for the Chevys, but our Fords never had anything go wrong internally. With the Fords it seemed like we did the usual oil change and filter cleaning and never had any problems (except for the altenator and fuel pump, something ALL vehicles go through eventually.) But our chevys needed more clutch replacements, leaking gaskets, the flywheels cracked on the 350's after awhile, they were gas hogs, rough ride, very bland and plain interior-wise, the doors never shut all the way unless you slammed them.

I guess Im just a Ford guy. I admire Japanese vehicles also. We have had toyotas, nissans, and mazdas that were all reliable.

Matt34

Matt34

IF I bought domestic it would be a Chevy truck. My parents had a 94 Z-71 that my Mom drove the piss out of (rural route mail carrier in Iowa, so imagine ungraded roads, snow, stop and go, backing up etc.) and it had 325,000 miles on it when she sold it with all original drive train.

....but I'll probably always buy imports, just have had great reliablity from everyone of them that I've own.

J

jamie2112

Banned
I hate to say it but I am a Honda guy. I had a ford F150 when I was younger and have owned Honda's ever since. I guess I am a Japanese car buff now.

E

EYEdROP0

Audioholic
The last Ford my Dad owned was a 1988 econoline U-haul van with a 460 V8 in it. When he sold it to a friend at work, which was about a year ago, it had 750,000 miles on one rebuild. The only thing that went on that was the catalytic converter clogged and the fuel pump went.

I guess my Dad still knows the guy and supposedly its still going.

Matt34

Matt34

I will comment on the new Ford pickups too. We had one during my last trip to Iraq (base model 4x4 crew cab with P/L, P/W) and thought it felt really cheap inside and the bed shook like crazy on gravel roads. My biggest pet peeve with it was the sensative throttle, you could not take off easy in that thing. Comparing it to my own XE Titan overall, I just don't see how they sell so many of those things.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'll stay on topic if I must...

Corvette Z06. Period. >=D

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Not a huge fan of either, but in the current automotive world I think Ford has a better clue about what they need to do going forward to maintain relevance and offer products people in the US actually want to buy. The new Taurus is a good sign as is the ecoboost engine. I can't say GM gets it, they can never decide what to do with Pontiac and the Chevy brand at least has a brand image now but there are a couple cars that stand out and really embarrass the rest. GM really needs to cut down on the brand redundancy too.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Not a huge fan of either, but in the current automotive world I think Ford has a better clue about what they need to do going forward to maintain relevance and offer products people in the US actually want to buy. The new Taurus is a good sign as is the ecoboost engine. I can't say GM gets it, they can never decide what to do with Pontiac and the Chevy brand at least has a brand image now but there are a couple cars that stand out and really embarrass the rest. GM really needs to cut down on the brand redundancy too.
They obviously don't have to make smart business decisions, as they just go begging to the federal government to make up for their stupid and short-sighted business decisions. The people have decided, with their purchasing dollars, what car companies should flourish. But they will still pay with their tax dollars to support greedy and stupid businessmen, who have been interested in short term profits, rather than thinking about the long run (which is why Toyota has taken so much of the market share--they plan for future years, not just next quarter's profits). The federal government would never consider propping up a small business in such a way. This is just another example of welfare for the rich, at the expense of the middle class.

If the federal government is worried about the employees, it would be cheaper to just hire the employees and get them doing useful things, than to support entire companies that overpay executives who have been running the companies into the ground for years.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Honda. 2010 the Diesel Ridgeline comes out(V6-T). Diesel Civic is already out in Europe.

SheepStar

majorloser

majorloser

Haven't seen any pics of that SRT-8 Challenger in your driveway yet.
:(:(:(:(

Can't say it's due to lack of desire.
Current economic conditions have put a damper to my expenses.

(Besides, Loserwife just got a new car last year)

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
They obviously don't have to make smart business decisions, as they just go begging to the federal government to make up for their stupid and short-sighted business decisions. The people have decided, with their purchasing dollars, what car companies should flourish. But they will still pay with their tax dollars to support greedy and stupid businessmen, who have been interested in short term profits, rather than thinking about the long run (which is why Toyota has taken so much of the market share--they plan for future years, not just next quarter's profits). The federal government would never consider propping up a small business in such a way. This is just another example of welfare for the rich, at the expense of the middle class.

If the federal government is worried about the employees, it would be cheaper to just hire the employees and get them doing useful things, than to support entire companies that overpay executives who have been running the companies into the ground for years.
That's why those developments by Ford are promising, they're coming up with things that are both good and desirable. A V6 with the power of a V8 but V6 economy? A Taurus based off the highly acclaimed Mondeo sold in Europe? Supposedly bringing the highly acclaimed Fiesta over? The cars they've been selling in the US have been getting better and selling better too it seems, but the cars they offer in europe are often considered good and desirable.

Of course Ford also wasn't as desperate for government bailout as GM or Chrysler either, in general they seem to be the most healthy of the three and the only one of the three with any products on the horizon that will actually come out (the Chevy Volt continues to be in flux) and that will probably actually have an impact on the market.

captiankirk28

Full Audioholic
Ford for me, i have owned Chev also but have a 2003 Ford Super Duty Diesel and love it, built like a tank and will pull a house. I dont see anything cheap about it but every maker has lower quality cars that may seem cheap.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
I'm with you Jamie

I hate to say it but I am a Honda guy. I had a ford F150 when I was younger and have owned Honda's ever since. I guess I am a Japanese car buff now.

Me too Jamie right-on ! two 6-speeds : one coupe , one convertible

Also Toyota and Lexus :D

===========

I am ready to start my anti-Jiff Lube rant soon!

Later,

MidCow2

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I've always had European and Japanese cars, but I bought a Lincoln a year back and it hasn't given me any problems so far. I believe Lincoln is built by Ford.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis