For those of you with a significant other that you live with......

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Drop Down TV Lift - Linear Actuators
my brother got his here, it actually sold his house for him, he had one in the bedroom and one in the 1st floor living room on a 50", the installs weren't hard, even on his first floor unit all he had to do was put a box in his upstairs closet that the tv disapeared into.... make sure you get the cable pulley systems, my brother figured the cables would just follow the tv but ended up pinching them a few times, you need the pulleys..
Cool!!! :)

To be honest though I would like a unit that sits at the end of the bed and comes "up" to viewer height. Of course a decorative wood container would encase the TV/wires for aesthetic purposes. I have a feeling though that the cost of the case and the implementation is going to be more expensive twofold than the actual lift itself. :mad:

Did I say twofold? I meant probably 4 times as much. :)

Last edited:
Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I think discussions might be what's wrong with relationships.

Has anybody ever seen Chuck Norris discuss anything ever? :D
That reminds me of what I heard about Sean Connery's secret to never fighting with his wife. Supposedly, he married a French woman who did not really speak English, and he could not really speak French. They never argue because they can't. I don't know how much truth there is to the story, but his wife since 1975 is French.

DannyA

DannyA

Audioholic
To the OP. After 30 years of marriage I've learned a few things. I don't always remember what I've learned but...

1. You don't have to win an argument. NO such thing. Just let her think she won. :rolleyes:
2. Don't make it an argument to begin with. Once it is in argument mode, you've lost control and it's over. Use some leverage and make it a compromise. For example, I told my wife I could move everything to the basement but I would have to spend some money. Ride that for all it's worth! Woo hoo a new subwoofer for me! Somehow I even ended up with a new truck out of the deal! :D
3. If steps 1 and 2 fail, try getting her drunk and don't forget to record the conversation. :eek:
4. If steps 1,2 and 3 fail. Pray for an early death. :(

Good luck bud!

Pioneer PDP-5020FD
Yamaha RX-V3800
Samsung BD-F5700 Blu-ray Player
Sony - PS3
Definitive Technology BP7006 Mains
Definitive Technology CS-8060 HD Center
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 1000 Surround
Power Sound Audio XS 15 Subwoofer

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I wonder how many of these posts would exist as they do IF the wife had been looking over the shoulder as they were written.
Mine would have been funnier, because she would have added an embarrassing "Irv story" to the post, after which I wouldn't have the guts to post for a few weeks. When I told her what I posted she laughed at the part where I mentioned her using the system. She knows it is a sign of true love and trust that I let her listen to it when I'm not around. (We haven't got that far yet with my favorite sports car.)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You win by tell her that this is the way it is and that is that. Don't give her a choice. If she wants it to look better, tell her you need a $15-20k budget for new speakers that will look better in their proper position. lol
I couldn't resist this...

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
This just gets better and better. Probably been asked before, but why is it in general that girls are not as enthralled by HT/Music systems as guys? Neither in the home nor in the car. Even the girl engineers I worked with didn't care much about it. In addition to high quality, I especially don't understand their lack of interest in bass. It seems the low frequencies might... well, nevermind.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
why is it in general that girls are not as enthralled by HT/Music systems as guys?
I've seen TLS suggest that it's because their hearing is better and most of our systems are sh!t. :D

It's funny but I'm not being funny. I guess it's all about what you can afford ... in terms of women and gear. I'm pretty sure if I had more money the girl would be way more motivated to do stuff that I like to do. As it is we end up doing some stuff that she likes too. This world is so unfair.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I'm pretty sure if I had more money the girl would be way more motivated to do stuff that I like to do.
Ahhh... thus the primordial motivation of man. But still wonder why not more girls are audiophiles.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
This just gets better and better. Probably been asked before, but why is it in general that girls are not as enthralled by HT/Music systems as guys? Neither in the home nor in the car. Even the girl engineers I worked with didn't care much about it. In addition to high quality, I especially don't understand their lack of interest in bass. It seems the low frequencies might... well, nevermind.
Probably the same reason we don't care about fancy shoes and getting our nails done. Well, most of us, anyway.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
For the answer to your question, one would need a proper survey of many people. But I thought I would share about one woman in particular. My wife enjoys our audio gear very much. She likes the subwoofers (we have a pair of SVS CS-Ultra subwoofers). When I got them (I did not ask her first), she questioned the need for them (we previously were using a Carver Cinema 5.1 subwoofer). She did not want extra, boomy bass (this ties in well with what Alex2507 says above). However, I explained to her that it was primarily for greater depth of bass, though it would also be capable of extra output. I set them up to give me a flat frequency response (as flat as the room allows, of course), not to exaggerate the bass. She likes them, and enjoys them. However, if I were to distort the sound by having exaggerated bass, she would not like them. She wants it to sound good, not screwed up the way that many men like.

For the main speakers, again, she enjoys what we have. She is not interested in any of this stuff qua equipment; she is only interested in the results. If we had piles of gear that did nothing, she would not like it. If I wasted money on magic wires and other BS, she would object to the money being wasted. But I never spend what we cannot afford, and I only spend money when I get actual performance from it.

When she watches a movie, she wants it to look and sound good. How that is done is of no interest to her.

Another thing worth relating. She asked me about the need for such big speakers, and asked about the "cute" Bose speakers. I explained to her why they would not be satisfactory, and that was essentially the end of it, as I do not tell her BS stories the way that some men do with their wives (which, of course, gives them good reason to disbelieve their husbands).

But there is nothing like a fact learned from one's own experience. One day, we went to an acquaintance's house for a party, and they had a room full of Bose cube speakers that were playing music while we were there. After we got home, without any prompting from me, she commented on how bad they sounded. Now she would not want Bose cubes even if I wanted them. She does care about the sound, and would like it to be as unobtrusive as possible. But she does want good sound.

If I were incompetent in setting up our gear, then she very likely would not like the results, and would question the need for it. This, too, is a factor in the whole thing. When someone sets up expensive gear improperly, another person is quite right to question the need for the expensive gear. After all, if one gets bad results, what was the point of it?

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
...she is only interested in the results. If we had piles of gear that did nothing, she would not like it... she would object to the money being wasted.
I understand. Exactly same situation w/ my bride. Tolerant of my spending and appreciates the result... up to a point. She told me the other day she thinks we have reached the point of diminishing return. From here, it will take a lot of $ to make a small difference, and it's probably not worth it. I have to agree.

Still curious why more women don't seem to be interested in the PROCESS of learning about & building a nice system. Guess it's another thing just in our genes... like shooting, cars, etc.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I understand. Exactly same situation w/ my bride. Tolerant of my spending and appreciates the result... up to a point. She told me the other day she thinks we have reached the point of diminishing return. From here, it will take a lot of $ to make a small difference, and it's probably not worth it. I have to agree.

Still curious why more women don't seem to be interested in the PROCESS of learning about & building a nice system. Guess it's another thing just in our genes... like shooting, cars, etc.
How much do you care about hand bags, high heels, and dancing with the stars? we are two different animals..

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis