Follow up on Primaluna HP Int amp

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
That is true. Parasound responds well but their repair service is not up to par. I sent my P5 Pre back to get fixed the beginning of July. I still don't have it back!!!
That is ridiculous. I would send a message to Parasound or better yet get them on the blower.

- Rich

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I was told they had to order a new volume Pot. I did get a call today from my dealer that he just got it back and is testing it. I'll pick it up soon.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I was told they had to order a new volume Pot. I did get a call today from my dealer that he just got it back and is testing it. I'll pick it up soon.
3 months to order and replace a volume pot? WTF!

You have much more patience than me. I would have been hounding them and/or calling the local chapter of the BBB.

This was warranty work correct? You need to push back! Tell them that they need them to add time to the warranty that is equal to the time that the unit is in the shop! Get it documented in writing.

Otherwise, they also just screwed you out of 3 months of warranty (on a unit that has already had 1 failure).

If they don't want to play ball, then tell them you hear the ATI makes better equipment anyway so they will be getting all your business from now on, and you will be shouting this poor service to anyone that will listen.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
3 months to order and replace a volume pot? WTF!

You have much more patience than me. I would have been hounding them and/or calling the local chapter of the BBB.

This was warranty work correct? You need to push back! Tell them that they need them to add time to the warranty that is equal to the time that the unit is in the shop! Get it documented in writing.

Otherwise, they also just screwed you out of 3 months of warranty (on a unit that has already had 1 failure).

If they don't want to play ball, then tell them you hear the ATI makes better equipment anyway so they will be getting all your business from now on, and you will be shouting this poor service to anyone that will listen.
I will talk to my dealer first. He is a real good guy. I guess if I didn't have a system to use I would be irate. And I also got the Primaluna in early and that has tied me over a little.

J

JonnyFive23517

Audioholic
Well, 5 days and still no response. That is not very reassuring with PrimaLuna in the slightest. If you can't respond to your "contact us" online link within 1 week (they still have a couple days), then that is poor service and they need to remove the link from their site.
Now that you mention it, I sent them an email weeks ago from the "contact us" link. No response.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I will talk to my dealer first. He is a real good guy. I guess if I didn't have a system to use I would be irate. And I also got the Primaluna in early and that has tied me over a little.
From the same dealer?

Yeah, I like that business model: Sell this guy something else that's pricey so he doesn't complain about pricey gear #1 taking so long under warranty repair. If I were in your shoes, I would probably be looking for a new dealer.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
From the same dealer?

Yeah, I like that business model: Sell this guy something else that's pricey so he doesn't complain about pricey gear #1 taking so long under warranty repair. If I were in your shoes, I would probably be looking for a new dealer.
Rich's repair procedure:

1. Since it is almost new, ask the dealer to get a replacement.
2. If not, contact the manufacturer directly (in the case Parasound) and ask for a replacement.
3. If not, make sure they pay the shipping both ways.
4. After they have had it for a few days, ask for an estimated completion time.
5. If you got past step 1, get a new dealer :p :D

- Rich

J

JonnyFive23517

Audioholic
Tangential but related to the PL HP gear.

The Prima Luna HP Power amp has a measured output impedance of 2.15 ohms using KT120's off the 4 ohm tap, running in stereo. What happens to output impedance if you run the stereo amp bridged in mono mode? Is it halved?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

The Prima Luna HP Power amp has a measured output impedance of 2.15 ohms using KT120's off the 4 ohm tap, running in stereo. What happens to output impedance if you run the stereo amp bridged in mono mode? Is it halved?
Hmm, I would have to look into that one. I don't think the output Z would half, but rather the input Z to the speaker (ie the load "seen" by the output of the amp) would half.

One note, you want a really low output impedance and a high input impedance.

J

JonnyFive23517

Audioholic
Hmm, I would have to look into that one. I don't think the output Z would half, but rather the input Z to the speaker (ie the load "seen" by the output of the amp) would half.

One note, you want a really low output impedance and a high input impedance.
Right, this is my major concern with getting a tube power amp, the output impedance. Running them in mono I'll switch to the 2 ohm posts rather than the 4 ohm, but I'm not sure if this changes the output impedance, or if everything is relatively the same? i.e., same damping factor stereo 4 ohm posts vs mono 2 ohm posts?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Bridge typically means series, so double, not halve. With tube amps, I would not bridge them.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis