Follow up on Primaluna HP Int amp

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
It's been a few weeks since I got the new Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP Integrated. Now I only have about 8 to 10 hours on it, so I may need a lot more break in time.. I have been told 50 to 100 on tubes... Well as it sits I am not that impressed. Not sure what all the fuss is over these. Maybe it's a combination of the Primaluna and my RBH speakers.. Who knows. All the write ups on this have it at the top of anyones list for buying. To me when comparing it to my RTI amp and running the Marantz as a pre, the sound is just a little dull across the board. Don't get me wrong. It's really nice but just not nearly as clear and dynamic as I thought I may get. I was expecting a little more crisp at the top I guess. It's a warm sound and the mids a nice... Maybe I am just a solid state lover.

Attachments

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Nope, you just figured out why tubes went out and ss took over, lol... Like I said before buy a tube amp if you want to say "I have a tube amp" or if you like the sound of old technology, or if you want the aesthetics they offer, I will admit I like the looks of the tube amps, they are nice and classy looking, BUT they don't sound great that is for sure...

If you like all kinds of music and can afford a few different systems in your home, sure get a cheap tube amp {under or around $1000}, a nice looking turntable, and a pair of efficient speakers and enjoy the "old " sound, it will definitely make you enjoy your ss 2.2 rig, lol... I know it works for me..

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I am really wanting to get the Parasound P5 pre back{ in shop} so I can check it out vs the Primaluna... I will hang on to them for a while. I think it would be good for certain music. I also want to get that turntable. I will most likely have two systems. Or sell the Primaluna and pick up some different speakers.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry to hear the "honeymoon" period is already over with the tube amps.

I love my ATI amps. Unless I hit the jackpot, these ATI amps will probably be the last amps I will ever need to own own.

I also love my Denon pre-pro. Unless I hit the jackpot, the Denon pre-pro will probably be the last pre-pro I will ever need to own.

I would love my RBH speakers if I ever get them. :eek: Unless I hit the jackpot, these RBH speakers will probably be the last loudspeakers I will ever need to own own - if I ever get them. :eek:

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry to hear the "honeymoon" period is already over with the tube amps.

I love my ATI amps. Unless I hit the jackpot, these ATI amps will probably be the last amps I own.

I also love my Denon pre-pro. Unless I hit the jackpot, the Denon pre-pro will probably be the last pre-pro I own.

I would love my RBH speakers if I ever get them. :eek: Unless I hit the jackpot, these RBH speakers will probably be the last speakers I own - if I ever get them. :eek:
DO we need to worry about you? is this post a cry for help..

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
OK good, with all that "this is my last system" talk, I was getting worried...
I was trying to be like Siegfried Linkwitz. :D

He would always say, "These could be the last loudspeakers you will ever need to own!" :D

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I don't think my RBH will be the last. I still think the bass sounds a little loose and the treble doesn't match what I was getting out of the RAAL ribbon on the Ascends. I'm not complaining. The RBH are fantastic.. I just still should get a separate amp to drive the bass. This was I could turn it down a touch.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Well, I think the OP discovered for himself what we have been saying all along.

Some people just gotta learn the hard way ;):D

Another thing with tubes is that the tubes themselves can make a huge difference to the way the amp sounds.

But hey, as long as the OP is enjoying the hobby and has learned from his experiences, then I won't rain on his parade.

On side note....my Dynaco ST-70 has no output on the right channel :eek::mad:
I'm not sure what happened, and I haven't had time to even think about troubleshooting it. All the tubes light up, and I was able to correctly set the bias, but that's about all I know at this point. I did an upgrade to provide taps for both 4 and 8 ohm speakers a while back, but it worked fine for several months after that. Of course when something fails, I always start with the last thing that was changed.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Well, I think the OP discovered for himself what we have been saying all along.

Some people just gotta learn the hard way ;):D

Another thing with tubes is that the tubes themselves can make a huge difference to the way the amp sounds.

But hey, as long as the OP is enjoying the hobby and has learned from his experiences, then I won't rain on his parade.

On side note....my Dynaco ST-70 has no output on the right channel :eek::mad:
I'm not sure what happened, and I haven't had time to even think about troubleshooting it. All the tubes light up, and I was able to correctly set the bias, but that's about all I know at this point. I did an upgrade to provide taps for both 4 and 8 ohm speakers a while back, but it worked fine for several months after that. Of course when something fails, I always start with the last thing that was changed.
I am hard headed. Always learn the hard way. But in this case I don't see it as a negative right now. I will keep it for a while. I like it. Just not blown away with it. It does have some very nice qualities.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
I am hard headed. Always learn the hard way. But in this case I don't see it as a negative right now. I will keep it for a while. I like it. Just not blown away with it. It does have some very nice qualities.
Yeah, for commercial tube product they're really well made, with some serious attention to detail and cable routing. Some tube amps are a real birds nest inside. Hopefully such features will help you get your money back out of it.

Tube-ville is pretty anachronistic. You really have to consider the speakers and amp as a whole system. The speaker load dictates the sort of output circuit and power supply the amp should be equipped with for desired results. It's nigh impossible to simply incorporate a tube amp into a system without considering the amp/speaker pairing and expect good results. Even with a well thought out pairing, the results probably won't be as "good" objectively, quite unlike the ease and simplicity of using low output impedance amps that can drive most speakers predictably (and more accurately).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think my RBH will be the last. I still think the bass sounds a little loose and the treble doesn't match what I was getting out of the RAAL ribbon on the Ascends. I'm not complaining. The RBH are fantastic.. I just still should get a separate amp to drive the bass. This way I could turn it down a touch.
Just get a $300 HSU sub amp to bi-amp both towers and turn down the bass a notch.

HSU 500 Watt Amplifier for TN Series

As far as "The last loudspeakers you will ever need to own", well, I think it's still a little too early for you to say. You may need to experiment and audition many other speakers like the RBH T-system (Dispersion Averaging Array), Revel Ultima, B&W Diamond, KEF Reference, Linkwitz Orion, Phil/Salk, etc., before making that statement. :D

But I think the Ascend speakers is an excellent reference point.

Last edited:
J

JonnyFive23517

Audioholic
Just curious what tubes you were using in the PrimaLuna HP integrated, the stock EL34s?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
The tubes make subtle differences, they aren't going to make the amp good if you initially think its bad... The issue is you want to critically listen and your amp is coloring the sound in a way you are picking up on, and you don't like it...

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Just to be clear. This is an excellent amp. I just wasn't that impressed when comparing it to my ATI/Pre SS set up.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Just to be clear. This is an excellent amp. I just wasn't that impressed when comparing it to my ATI/Pre SS set up.
OK, now you are obviously just trying to preserve resale value :D, lol...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis