Focal's Best Gets Better: New Utopia 2022 Review

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Focal has just launched a new version of its Utopia headphone. This isn't just a new SKU for the same 2016 model, as Focal did in 2020. In the new Utopia (Nutopia) 2022, the headphone itself has received some light design updates and a new look. Focal brought to Utopia some improvements already implemented in the French audio brand's Clear MG and Celestee cans, new models that replaced original Clear and Elegia respectively. While Celestee and Clear MG were intended to improve the sound quality of their predecessors, Focal didn't intend to change the overall character of Utopia with its new version. It's still the same Utopia sound, updated with Focal's latest headphone technology for 2022.

Read the full review:
Focal NEW Utopia 2022 Headphone Review: Are These Endgame?

Utopia_illus_13_021.jpg

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
"We may have to save up to afford a headphone in the $1K range, and we know that a $5K headphone does not offer 5X the sound."

Well said. Gorgeous headphones though.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
"We may have to save up to afford a headphone in the $1K range, and we know that a $5K headphone does not offer 5X the sound."

Well said. Gorgeous headphones though.
Part of me always cringes at prices approaching Utopia's. My personal sweet-spot in hi-fi is just going that one or two steps beyond cheapest lowest-common denominator (garbage) sound reproduction because it can offer a surprisingly sublime experience. I come close to harboring hostility toward the crazy high-end ultra-expensive stuff and the snobish culture that grows around it. I prefer to extol the virtues of the sleeper mid-fi piece that blows away expectations.
But hey, money-spent is relative. I remember friends thinking I'm crazy for that time I spent over $300 for a pair of headphones. I still have those headphones and they're now among the cheapest in my collection.
If someone is prepared to perceive value from such a high-end item, and its easily affordable to them, more power to 'em. They should at least be aware that Utopia's cost isn't for nothing. I sincerely believe the new Utopia offers today's rendition of what's among the finest available at any price. The only thing preventing me from giving it the highest "Gotta Have It!" rating is the highly specialized target audience for such a piece.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis