TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Shape65

Has anyone heard (or heard of) this speaker? Focal is using their newly designed aluminum magnesium alloy tweeter dome, which I know nothing about. The Be model sounds amazing but is hundreds more. This might be a situation where close enough is good enough.

Thoughts?

@KEW @TheWarrior
I like the increased filter options for different monitoring setups. I'm sure they sound great and offer decent bass for a small monitor.

But the benefits of beryllium are too good to ignore! Not sure what your objective with this speaker is, tho....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Focal are good at tweeters too. That one looks similar to their old Tioxid inverted dome tweeters, just magnesium. I am sure they sound good too.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Basically, I only know what you do...that their Be series is very nice.
I'd assume that this model, to be competitive in the pro audio monitor arena, is good, but look to pro audio sites like Gear Slutz for more evaluations of pro monitors.
Focal does seem unique is having pro audio monitors that look pretty nice (certainly not so nice as their home audio).
However, I believe that the Focal Be tweeter and the RAAL ribbon have a lot in common sound-wise. I have a pair of Dennis Murphy's BMR's that you can come and compare to the Focal Twin6 Be's. I have not yet A-B'ed these two, but at $1350/pr, I suspect the BMR's will get very close to the Focal Be's for less than 1/2 the price (and $400 less than the Focal Shape 65)!

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
@KEW Right, money talks, and if no one can hear the difference, than, well, there's no difference, except price.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
@KEW Right, money talks, and if no one can hear the difference, than, well, there's no difference, except price.
Well, I do expect to hear a difference (it is rare not to between two different speakers designs).
However, I'm not sure how quick you would be to decide which sound is better in many cases (when comparing well designed speakers).
In the case of the BMR's I expect their incredible dispersion pattern will result in a clear difference of sound character, but don't expect it to sound "wrong", just different (in comparison with the Focal Be's), but YMMV.
IME, if I listen to enough music, I will be able to find a specific sound that the BMR's do better and a sound that the Focal Be's do better

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Well, I do expect to hear a difference (it is rare not to between two different speakers designs).
However, I'm not sure how quick you would be to decide which sound is better in many cases (when comparing well designed speakers).
In the case of the BMR's I expect their incredible dispersion pattern will result in a clear difference of sound character, but don't expect it to sound "wrong", just different (in comparison with the Focal Be's), but YMMV.
IME, if I listen to enough music, I will be able to find a specific sound that the BMR's do better and a sound that the Focal Be's do better
Right, edit: preference

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis