Focal Littora 4.1 amp recommendations

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
All,

I found a deal on an open box Focal Littora 4.1 outdoor set up that I could not pass on. I'm wondering what would be the best way to amp these? I would like to use the Sonos amps. Would it be better to use 1 or 2 amps, and if 2, can they be combined into one group, so when I ask Sonos to play "outdoor", it knows to use both amps? My guess is if I use 1 amp, I'll daisy chain the left 2 into the left output and the right two on the right output of the amp, and the sub line out is just that.

I'm not sure if that would cause any degrading of the sound having two speakers plugged into the same output, which is why I'm questioning 2 of the amps.

Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That is one expensive outdoor speaker set! I'm not particularly familiar with Sonos but for four speakers you should have four channels of amplification rather than doubling up....but the sub appears to be passive so you need five channels of amplification, which complicates choice. What would you use as pre-amp?

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Yeah it is expensive, but like I said, I got a hell of a deal on it. Was around 70% off MSRP.

IDK if I need a pre amp. I currently have 2 Sonance Mariner 86's for my outdoor set up, run off a Sonos amp. All I do is run the Sonos app, set the output to patio, and it plays outside.

The Sonos amp has a sub line on it. I'm just not sure if having multiple speakers on the line will really degrade the sound or if it will be fine. Basically I'm wondering if the amp is powerful enough.

Focal shows how to wire the 4.1 to a Naim unifi CI 120

Also, Sonos has the wiring for 4 speakers as well.

But really my question is, are these speakers a good fit to be wired parallel like the Sonos diagram. With the speakers rated at 100w, and the amp at 125wpc, I just want to make sure I'm not somehow under powering them if they are run parallel.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Under powering won't be the issue. When you connect speakers in parallel, the impedance is halved which increases the power output from the amplifier. Your main concern should be what is the lowest impedance that the Sonos amp can handle? The Focal 4.1 satellites are rated at 8 ohms nominal but have a minimum impedance of 5.2 ohms (per the spec sheet). You need an amplifier that is rated for 4 ohm loads and can handle the 2.6 ohm minimum that speakers can present. Sonos amp requires 8 ohm speakers so as long as it can handle the lower impedance dips it should work but hopefully it has some protection built in to prevent damage.

I don't know of a way to connect two amps to the same zone but someone familiar with Sonos gear may have a solution.

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
But really my question is, are these speakers a good fit to be wired parallel like the Sonos diagram. With the speakers rated at 100w, and the amp at 125wpc, I just want to make sure I'm not somehow under powering them if they are run parallel.
The speakers appear to be 8Ohm, so you are ok to wire in parallel per the Sonos diagram.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nominal ohm ratings are often not something to use when running speakers in parallel like that. Like Eppie says about those speakers' impedance. If all you're going to do is play at low volume perhaps you could double up the speakers without issues but I'd rather have an amp per speaker. Weird way of using the Naim amp but I certainly wouldn't put four speakers on one of its channels.

The Sonos is a power amp or an integrated amp? By sub line you mean it has a sub pre-out? Or an actual amp channel intended for a sub?

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Under powering won't be the issue. When you connect speakers in parallel, the impedance is halved which increases the power output from the amplifier. Your main concern should be what is the lowest impedance that the Sonos amp can handle? The Focal 4.1 satellites are rated at 8 ohms nominal but have a minimum impedance of 5.2 ohms (per the spec sheet). You need an amplifier that is rated for 4 ohm loads and can handle the 2.6 ohm minimum that speakers can present. Sonos amp requires 8 ohm speakers so as long as it can handle the lower impedance dips it should work but hopefully it has some protection built in to prevent damage.

I don't know of a way to connect two amps to the same zone but someone familiar with Sonos gear may have a solution.
Maybe a different amplifier is the correct answer here. I suppose when I want to use the outdoor stuff I can just use Tidal through airplay instead of the Sonos app.

Nominal ohm ratings are often not something to use when running speakers in parallel like that. Like Eppie says about those speakers' impedance. If all you're going to do is play at low volume perhaps you could double up the speakers without issues but I'd rather have an amp per speaker. Weird way of using the Naim amp but I certainly wouldn't put four speakers on one of its channels.

The Sonos is a power amp or an integrated amp? By sub line you mean it has a sub pre-out? Or an actual amp channel intended for a sub?
I think it may be a pre out for the sub which would mean I need another amp anyways. My media room has all the "good audio" gear and the rest of the house has various Sonos speakers for WAF. An amp with airplay would probably be sufficient I suppose, but then wife needs Tidal app for when we're outside. Right now it's a simple, load the Sonos app, select patio, and play music outside. She doesn't know I bought the 4.1 system yet, so that will be icing on the cake if she needs a new way to get the music to play outside. We're installing a patio next year, with some raised retaining walls with seating so this system will be a bit nicer and blended in with the landscaping and such, as opposed to having 2 speakers hang off of our house. Just need to figure how to get it as plug and play as possible.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Maybe a different amplifier is the correct answer here. I suppose when I want to use the outdoor stuff I can just use Tidal through airplay instead of the Sonos app.

I think it may be a pre out for the sub which would mean I need another amp anyways. My media room has all the "good audio" gear and the rest of the house has various Sonos speakers for WAF. An amp with airplay would probably be sufficient I suppose, but then wife needs Tidal app for when we're outside. Right now it's a simple, load the Sonos app, select patio, and play music outside. She doesn't know I bought the 4.1 system yet, so that will be icing on the cake if she needs a new way to get the music to play outside. We're installing a patio next year, with some raised retaining walls with seating so this system will be a bit nicer and blended in with the landscaping and such, as opposed to having 2 speakers hang off of our house. Just need to figure how to get it as plug and play as possible.
I know that Roon lets you combine multiple zones. Can the Sonos app combine two zones and maybe assign a name to that combination? That would allow you to use two Sonos amps in one area.

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
I use a set of KEF Ventura 6 driven by a Bluesound Powernode for my pool patio. I think you'd likely be fine running the Focals in parallel unless you intend to listen very loudly. I have the volume limiter on the Powernode set to 1/5th of max so as not to annoy my neighbors. :D Even at that level, it's plenty loud for lounging around in the pool.

I use Roon with Tidal and just control the music with my phone or an iPad.

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
I use a set of KEF Ventura 6 driven by a Bluesound Powernode for my pool patio. I think you'd likely be fine running the Focals in parallel unless you intend to listen very loudly. I have the volume limiter on the Powernode set to 1/5th of max so as not to annoy my neighbors. :D Even at that level, it's plenty loud for lounging around in the pool.

I use Roon with Tidal and just control the music with my phone or an iPad.
I think I'm in a quandary anyways, as the Sonos amp doesn't power a subwoofer, which means I need an external amp. I need to make this integrated into the Sonos app, not trying to use Roon or Airplay. Needs a high level of WAF, and she knows how to use the Sonos app.

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
I think I'm in a quandary anyways, as the Sonos amp doesn't power a subwoofer, which means I need an external amp. I need to make this integrated into the Sonos app, not trying to use Roon or Airplay. Needs a high level of WAF, and she knows how to use the Sonos app.
Hmm...yeah, the OD 12 is a passive subwoofer. I still think you could get by with a Sonos Amp and something like a Fosi V3 Mono amp for the sub channel. That would give you the best usability because you could control everything from the Sonos app directly.

I'm actually quite intrigued by the Focal system. It would be a nice upgrade for my patio and I could better direct the audio around the pool. I'm curious to hear how it performs when you get it set up!

the machine

the machine

Audioholic
Hmm...yeah, the OD 12 is a passive subwoofer. I still think you could get by with a Sonos Amp and something like a Fosi V3 Mono amp for the sub channel. That would give you the best usability because you could control everything from the Sonos app directly.

I'm actually quite intrigued by the Focal system. It would be a nice upgrade for my patio and I could better direct the audio around the pool. I'm curious to hear how it performs when you get it set up!
Will make some posts next year once the patio is done.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis