Fluance XL7F Floorstanding Loudspeaker Review

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
And, they do have a center channel and surround speakers, for the different series.
I asked Fluance and they said a matching center and surrounds are in the works and soon to be released.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Reviewer said:
Fluance needs a "look" and a brand. Right now they come across as a smorgasbord of mismatched products that don't share any sort of design philosophy or company identity.
I could not agree more, I've felt the same way about Fluance since I became aware of it. Due to their "discontinuity" at first I believed them to be one of the many "white van specials" that run rampant. They desperately need to form a cohesive design parameter and look for their products. From low to high budget, most, if not all, speaker manufactures have clearly defined designs within a series especially if they are designed by the same individual or group.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
I could not agree more, I've felt the same way about Fluance since I became aware of it. Due to their "discontinuity" at first I believed them to be one of the many "white van specials" that run rampant. They desperately need to form a cohesive design parameter and look for their products. From low to high budget, most, if not all, speaker manufactures have clearly defined designs within a series especially if they are designed by the same individual or group.
That's pretty much spot on; Fluance just seems to have no idea who they are or where they want to go. It's hard to recommend a company that appears lost. As Gene noted that might be a shame too, because they may have some decent speakers to offer.

I reached out to them myself and asked if they wanted to submit a DB200 for review. I figured at least this way I would get a better understanding about their products, and subsequently write one of my long-winded evaluations. They declined unfortunately, so I'll probably never know. Hopefully Fluance continues to submit review samples to other places though -- at least this way we'll find out if they are worth recommending.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm impressed with the aesthetics, measurements, and lifetime warranty.

Would be very interesting to see them go head-to-head with the "legendary" P363. :D

Would also be interesting to see how their $270 5.0 package measures / performs.

http://www.fluance.com/fluanceavhtb.html

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not familiar with those speakers. However, I am aiming to get a pair of Infinity Primus P363's in for review and hope to directly compare them.
That seems like an ideal faceoff. I look forward to reading that one.
(If I win the contest, I'd do the review for you.. hint hint)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I'm impressed with the aesthetics, measurements, and lifetime warranty.

Would be very interesting to see them go head-to-head with the "legendary" P363. :D

Would also be interesting to see how their $270 5.0 package measures / performs.

</3>Fluance AVHTB+ Surround Sound Home Theater 5 Speaker System
The Fluance have more bass but the Infinity's have a more detailed top end. Both has pros/cons.

I just finished a controlled blind test comparing the P363s and EMP E55tis and will include this in my Infinity review. Interesting results.

All in all, for under $700/pr these 3 speakers are very different but compelling products depending on your listening tastes.

F

Fowl

Audioholic
The Fluance have more bass but the Infinity's have a more detailed top end. Both has pros/cons.

I just finished a controlled blind test comparing the P363s and EMP E55tis and will include this in my Infinity review. Interesting results.

All in all, for under $700/pr these 3 speakers are very different but compelling products depending on your listening tastes.
I am looking forward to reading this:D

L

leaflover

Audiophyte
I'll give them a try...

I currently have a HT system based around Paradigm Studio 60's with ADP 590's and a CC-590, a D-Box 12" sub and driven by a NAD T1775. I am pretty happy with the overall sound and experience this set up delivers, although I am not nearly as swept up or competent to rate speakers as many of you. I do need a set of floor standing speakers for a cottage where loud and bassy (3 boys+ friends) seems to be a priority. They love CCR/ACDC/Led Zeplin amongst others - I tell them they need to get their own music lol....

If I have not misunderstood the review of the Flaunce XL7F speakers these may be just what the Dr ordered. I just hope that Jack Johnson, James Taylor and Nora Jones sound ok or my wife may be on my case. Importantly, if someone decides to bust the door down and steal our 20 yr old fridge and these speakers I won't be out a lot of coin.

I am going to grab a set of these speakers, let my boys beat them up all summer and I will report back. I do not mean to belittle these speakers in any way, it just seems that based on this review I will get great sound for the price - something in this case that is important. Is this a reasonable interpretation of your review?

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I currently have a HT system based around Paradigm Studio 60's with ADP 590's and a CC-590, a D-Box 12" sub and driven by a NAD T1775. I am pretty happy with the overall sound and experience this set up delivers, although I am not nearly as swept up or competent to rate speakers as many of you. I do need a set of floor standing speakers for a cottage where loud and bassy (3 boys+ friends) seems to be a priority. They love CCR/ACDC/Led Zeplin amongst others - I tell them they need to get their own music lol....

If I have not misunderstood the review of the Flaunce XL7F speakers these may be just what the Dr ordered. I just hope that Jack Johnson, James Taylor and Nora Jones sound ok or my wife may be on my case. Importantly, if someone decides to bust the door down and steal our 20 yr old fridge and these speakers I won't be out a lot of coin.

I am going to grab a set of these speakers, let my boys beat them up all summer and I will report back. I do not mean to belittle these speakers in any way, it just seems that based on this review I will get great sound for the price - something in this case that is important. Is this a reasonable interpretation of your review?
Yes I believe you got what I was conveying accurately in my review. Laid back sound with a bass bump.

L

leaflover

Audiophyte
Quick Follow Up

So, I did go ahead and purchase these speakers to give them a try. I have the following observations at this early stage...the Audioholics review of the speakers is bang on and I would like add/emphasize a couple points:

1) The delivery was extremely quick - 2 days after I ordered them the speakers arrived double boxed and very well packed - really impressed;
2) The speakers look great cosmetically, they far exceeded my expectations on this point for speakers at this price point;
3) Although I have not torn them apart, the build quality of the cabinets seems really well done with heavy duty gold lated connections, and a nice finish overall;
4) These speakers are heavy and big. I took some pictures once set up to show them in context of a 50" LCD on a stand but could not see where to attach a photo - but beware they are towers;
5) I used them for 10 hours listening to Bell ExpressVu music and TV and then cranked them up - holy cow they have some punch and as 'gene' mentions they have a real laid back sound with a definite bass bump. The down firing woofers aren't just a gimmick;
7) I am no pro like the gents that write for Audioholics, but, I would personally recommend these speakers to anyone looking for an entry level set of speakers - but make no mistake you may find you never upgrade them...

Love the work on this site, I would have never gotten these speakers except for review here...great work guys.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
I am intrigued by the company. I think I may go ahead and order the ES1's with the matching center due to better WAF and actually having a center to match (I need a matching center and my wife prefers black speakers;)). I reallize tall thin speakers won't have the thump you describe but I do have a sub for that anyway.

I am also toying with the infinity's and the polk monitor 60's. They are all in that $500ish/pair price range and make for a tough choice.

Pat

rom3

rom3

Audioholic Intern
These are tempting me for a 2nd setup in my home office - handsome, seem to sound very nice, good bang for the buck. The price says budget, but can they be driven by a budget receiver such as the new Yamaha RX-V375 reviewed here recently or would one have to step up to a much more powerful (expensive) amp? In the specs it lists 4 - 8 ohms for impedance. I'm a neophyte in this area - how can it be that the impedance is not fixed at 4 or 8 ohms? Is it variable?

L

langelo68

Audiophyte
Fluance XL7F, Polk Monitor 75T or PSB Image T45

hello there, new to the forum. i wonder if any of you out there could comment on how detailed and natural sounding these fluance xl7f speakers are....
i'm into classical, jazz, world music and old school rock and want to finally update my speakers. traditional stereo sound without subwoofer is my thing; all my music collection is original cds and lps. i have a harman 3490 receiver and an onkyo C-7030 cd player. my listening room has a 400 sq ft area and speakers will be placed more or less 12ft apart. my speaker options are: the fluance XL7F, the new polk monitor 75t or PSB Image T45s. Any idea of which of these speakers will sound more "natural" and detailed? any input would be most appreciated!!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
hello there, new to the forum. i wonder if any of you out there could comment on how detailed and natural sounding these fluance xl7f speakers are....
i'm into classical, jazz, world music and old school rock and want to finally update my speakers. traditional stereo sound without subwoofer is my thing; all my music collection is original cds and lps. i have a harman 3490 receiver and an onkyo C-7030 cd player. my listening room has a 400 sq ft area and speakers will be placed more or less 12ft apart. my speaker options are: the fluance XL7F, the new polk monitor 75t or PSB Image T45s. Any idea of which of these speakers will sound more "natural" and detailed? any input would be most appreciated!!
I own the PSB T45s having them for over 7 years now and I'm completely satisifed with their sound. I listen to a lot of different music genres from Beethoven to Led Zeppelin, from Miles Davis to Muddy Waters and the T45s play everything extremely well. Out of those three, I would take the PSBs .

L

langelo68

Audiophyte
thanks much for the input... maybe then, I will go with the PSBs. It seems to be a definitely more reliable company in terms of making more high-end speakers!

S

sukihock

Enthusiast
Yes I believe you got what I was conveying accurately in my review. Laid back sound with a bass bump.
I currently own HTD Level Three Towers that are only 4-months old. Based on your review and my familiarity with my HTD's I'm itching a bit to compare them to Fluance XL7F and decide what stays and what goes. Thing is I can only bring these into my home if I sell the HTD's. Are they even in the same class that I should be even thinking about this?

M

matteos

Enthusiast
I've got the Fluance and I just took a look at the reviews online for those HTD. IMO I think a direct comparison would be awesome, but if you had to sell your HTD in order to audition the Fluance I think that would be a mistake, you may find you preferred your HTD over the Fluance and then it would be too late. Those HTD look very interesting with their ribbon tweeter, I'd actually love to do a comparison too.

I've also found adding stuffing to each section of the fluance (I used long haired wool for the top and cheap Dacron for the bottom... not that much at all in the bottom) absolutely cures the occasional upper bass boom in some music that is reported in the review for what it's worth.

But yeah... I'd love to see audioholics do an under $1000 tower shootout, the Fluance, the HTD, Emptek, Infinity Primus. The Pioneer floorstanders... All of these speakers seem to offer amazing value for money.

E

exlabdriver

Post #19 - a thread on Fluance turns into major brand bashing again...

TAM

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
Post 19 may be a bit direct with opinion, but I don't think you could ask for much more in a forum post than observations from a direct comparison with pictures to back up opinion.

Post #19 - a thread on Fluance turns into major brand bashing again...

TAM

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis