Fluance Signature Series Speakers Preview

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'm sorry, I wasn't taken. My dad has a complete THX system with THX cables, and my system is a lot more flexible in various ways than his. That $700 was the best money I have ever spent! You are in the dark on how they can change the sonics.
I haven't really been following along, but just in case it's been missed; more expensive components can have a sonic benefit in the sense that some of the more expensive components have better build quality, are more consistent in their specs, have tighter spec tolerances, and will last longer. All things considered the general (read:majority of those with a lot of experience and knowledge on the subject) consensus is that better components make a difference up to a point, and then returns diminish rapidly. Furthermore, components DO NOT improve the sound, but merely do a better and better job of not buggering up the source signal before it gets to the drivers. That is, unless you happen to enjoy the extra distortion or frequency shaping characteristics of the component, NTTAWWT (not that there's anything wrong with that). People choose speakers all the time based on how it sounds to them, even it what they're hearing isn't the most accurate representation of the source.

IMHO, there aren't many well versed, talented, and knowledgeable guys who would agree that a $700 upgrade that didn't change any of the component values, IOW the crossover itself, would be worth it. This is coming from guys much more knowledgeable on the subject than I, such as swerd.

I'm not saying you don't hear a difference, but who's to say that difference isn't in your head? You didn't A/B pre-crossover to post crossover as far as I can tell from a cursory read of this thread. However, if you're happy with the $700 you spent, power to ya. Just don't expect to rouse up a following on the subject round these parts ;) :D

N

Newguy52811

Audioholic Intern
I haven't really been following along, but just in case it's been missed; more expensive components can have a sonic benefit in the sense that some of the more expensive components have better build quality, are more consistent in their specs, have tighter spec tolerances, and will last longer. All things considered the general (read:majority of those with a lot of experience and knowledge on the subject) consensus is that better components make a difference up to a point, and then returns diminish rapidly. Furthermore, components DO NOT improve the sound, but merely do a better and better job of not buggering up the source signal before it gets to the drivers. That is, unless you happen to enjoy the extra distortion or frequency shaping characteristics of the component, NTTAWWT (not that there's anything wrong with that). People choose speakers all the time based on how it sounds to them, even it what they're hearing isn't the most accurate representation of the source.

IMHO, there aren't many well versed, talented, and knowledgeable guys who would agree that a $700 upgrade that didn't change any of the component values, IOW the crossover itself, would be worth it. This is coming from guys much more knowledgeable on the subject than I, such as swerd.

I'm not saying you don't hear a difference, but who's to say that difference isn't in your head? You didn't A/B pre-crossover to post crossover as far as I can tell from a cursory read of this thread. However, if you're happy with the $700 you spent, power to ya. Just don't expect to rouse up a following on the subject round these parts ;) :D
I'm from the country, don't knock it till you try it. :)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'm from the country, don't knock it till you try it. :)
So am I. I grew up in the country, lived in the city, and now live somewhere in between. Likewise, with my audio endeavors. ;) A common saying out in the country. Don't assume.....you know the rest :D

N

Newguy52811

Audioholic Intern
So am I. I grew up in the country, lived in the city, and now live somewhere in between. Likewise, with my audio endeavors. ;) A common saying out in the country. Don't assume.....you know the rest :D
It's Apparent that a lot of people on this forum claim to know speakers that really don't.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
It's Apparent that a lot of people on this forum claim to know speakers that really don't.
I claim no such thing, I'm simply relaying information from people that do know. You can take it or leave it, although looks like even in the face of overwhelming evidence and opinion you're dead set on believing what you believe, which makes sense. You already spent the money. No one wants to believe they're spent extra money for nothing.

Hey, I ain't got no dog in this fight. You can believe whatever it is you want to :D If you felt it was the right move, then enjoy it. <No subtext present> Just in case you were wondering :)

N

Newguy52811

Audioholic Intern
I claim no such thing, I'm simply relaying information from people that do know. You can take it or leave it, although looks like even in the face of overwhelming evidence and opinion you're dead set on believing what you believe, which makes sense. You already spent the money. No one wants to believe they're spent extra money for nothing.

Hey, I ain't got no dog in this fight. You can believe whatever it is you want to :D If you felt it was the right move, then enjoy it. <No subtext present> Just in case you
were wondering :)
You replying to my message tells otherwise. It did make a difference acoustically and sonically. :)

N

Newguy52811

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the info. I will check out Audiocircle as well. YOU sure have me curious.

Cheers,

Phil
Think of it like this and with an open mind. We've all seen The Fast and the Furious right? These others could claim that modifying an engine isn't gonna make your car go faster, more fuel efficient, etc... They would tell you to redesign the engine all over before modifying it, which is definitely not the case. Trust me. :)

N

Newguy52811

Audioholic Intern
Can we please stop being nice?

Your dad was taken too.

It's true that none of us have a Masters in taking your money ... for nothing ... OH !!! :D
I'm confused. Are you claiming THX are frauds now too? Do you even have speakers, let alone a stereo?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I'm sorry, I wasn't taken. My dad has a complete THX system with THX cables, and my system is a lot more flexible in various ways than his. That $700 was the best money I have ever spent! You are in the dark on how they can change the sonics.
It isn't my intention to convince you that you're wrong. I do however want others who might be reading this to be aware that this subject is not cut & dry.

Rather than continuing to derail this thread, which was originally about some new Fluance speakers, let's agree to disagree.

N

Newguy52811

Audioholic Intern
It isn't my intention to convince you that you're wrong. I do however want others who might be reading this to be aware that this subject is not cut & dry.

Rather than continuing to derail this thread, which was originally about some new Fluance speakers, let's agree to disagree.
Let's agree to disagree that a non modified engine can indeed beat a modified engine. K?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Think of it like this and with an open mind. We've all seen The Fast and the Furious right? These others could claim that modifying an engine isn't gonna make your car go faster, more fuel efficient, etc... They would tell you to redesign the engine all over before modifying it, which is definitely not the case. Trust me. :)
To use your analogy, What you paid for was higher quality bearings and more durable piston rings. It sure won't hurt and should result in a better life. You did not have the engine bored, add a supercharger, change the exhaust flow, or make any other changes that would increase performance.

N

Newguy52811

Audioholic Intern
To use your analogy, What you paid for was higher quality bearings and more durable piston rings. It sure won't hurt and should result in a better life. You did not have the engine bored or add a supercharger or make any changes that would increase performance.
Lol. If you haven't tried it, how can you tell me that it's not a supercharger or more durable pistons. You don't know?

B

bigmixx

Audiophyte
Hello, I'm new here. Just came to read all the good info on the new Fluance Signatures.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks, I am so sorry this thread has gotten away from the new Fluance Signature Series speakers. Perhaps, it is a good idea to continue discussing crossover topology in a new thread? Apparently, the Signature Series speakers are already being well regarded. I will admit, I am surely intrigued by them.

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis