Fluance Signature Series Speakers Preview

theboogeydown

theboogeydown

Enthusiast
Well, they've just arrived and I will withhold any opinion about the audio quality as of yet, but I will say that if I told you I only spent $4500 on these, you wouldn't blink an eye. I can't even begin to understand how they can ship a product like this for under $700. I'm actually wondering if there is some type of government subsidy involved, honestly.

N

Newguy52811

Audioholic Intern
Well, they've just arrived and I will withhold any opinion about the audio quality as of yet, but I will say that if I told you I only spent $4500 on these, you wouldn't blink an eye. I can't even begin to understand how they can ship a product like this for under $700. I'm actually wondering if there is some type of government subsidy involved, honestly.
The funny thing is that they look very similar to B&W CM8's. Just wondering if they sound as good as them. :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Glad they look so nice!

LOL!
It is, indeed, a safe bet that we wouldn't blink an eye ... we are used to seeing people spend $4500 on an upgraded power cord!:eek:

I don't know if you have a background with a good speaker to use for comparison, but if not and you want to do it right, go to Best Buy and pick up a pair of Sony Core bookshelf speakers (Model SSCS5, $220). Best Buy has a 14 day satisfaction guarantee. If the Fluance's sound better than the Sony's, they are good speakers! If not, keep the Sony's and lose the Fluance's. Either way, you'll feel a lot better about your speakers knowing they sound better than the ones you returned.:cool:

Last edited:
theboogeydown

theboogeydown

Enthusiast
Thanks for input Kurt, using Vienna Acoustics' Mozarts. They're a third of the size. So far, Signatures have a much harder to find soundstage.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for input Kurt, using Vienna Acoustics' Mozarts. They're a third of the size. So far, Signatures have a much harder to find soundstage.
I'm no expert on crossovers, but I would assume based on very limited knowledge and what others have said here that could be because of the odd crossover points.

B

Brian Mowka

Audioholic Intern
Level matching will be very important in doing a fair comparison, and it is harder to do than you may realize. Please do your homework in this area. Your shootout could be very good if performed correctly, but it could also be very counter-productive if you don't get the level matching right. I would seriously drop Gene a PM as he suggested. I have been involved in a bunch of speaker comparisons, and level matching is not as easy as it would seem to get right.

Thanks, I'm looking into this again... I've done this once before when I had a mismatched set of home theater speakers using the good old radio shack spl meter. Comes in handy more than I would have ever thought.

N

Newguy52811

Audioholic Intern
I'm no expert on crossovers, but I would assume based on very limited knowledge and what others have said here that could be because of the odd crossover points.
I'll let you in on a little secret. The crossover points are irrelevant. The crossover parts are relevant to imaging, sound stage, etc... Fluance uses standard electrolytic capacitors that don't put out a very good sound stage.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I'll let you in on a little secret. The crossover points are irrelevant. The crossover parts are relevant to imaging, sound stage, etc... Fluance uses standard electrolytic capacitors that don't put out a very good sound stage.
Crossover points are irrelevant? Really? I disagree. Good drivers elbeit tweeters for example, can be crossovered at lower frequencies whereas cheaper drivers usually have much higher crossover points. Like Seth, I am no loudspeaker designer but I have learned a few things along the way. As YOU eluded to earlier, crossover components also play a role-no doubt about that.

Cheers,

Phil

N

Newguy52811

Audioholic Intern
Crossover points are irrelevant? Really? I disagree. Good drivers elbeit tweeters for example, can be crossovered at lower frequencies whereas cheaper drivers usually have much higher crossover points. Like Seth, I am no loudspeaker designer but I have learned a few things along the way. As YOU eluded to earlier, crossover components also play a role-no doubt about that.

Cheers,

Phil
I eluded the same conclusion as you did about the crossover points, until I sent my crossovers to Jeff at SonicCraft. Let's just say, I have the midrange versions of Fluance Speakers and they totally beat my dad's M&K's THX speakers. :)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I eluded the same conclusion as you did about the crossover points, until I sent my crossovers to Jeff at SonicCraft. Let's just say, I have the midrange versions of Fluance Speakers and they totally beat my dad's M&K's THX speakers. :)
Oh please don't take me wrong, I am NOT criticizing the Fluance speakers in any regard. Rather, I am noting that typically in odd crossover points is a direct result of using cheaper drivers of sorts. Perhaps, that is NOT always the case. But, it surely is a good indicator that inferior drivers are employed.

I will reserve my opinion(s) about the new Fluance speakers until I get to see some credible reviews per se. They sure look up to the task. Time will tell. Right now I am using Polk RTi speakers. Many here do NOT care for them. I, on the other hand, do like the Polk sound. To each his own. But, for what I gave for them I am certainly NOT complaining.

Who knows, the new Fluance speakers may turn out to be truly GIANT killers. If so, then you can bet your bottom dollar that I will own them! Sure like the look.

Cheers,

Phil

N

Newguy52811

Audioholic Intern
Oh please don't take me wrong, I am NOT criticizing the Fluance speakers in any regard. Rather, I am noting that typically in odd crossover points is a direct result of using cheaper drivers of sorts. Perhaps, that is NOT always the case. But, it surely is a good indicator that inferior drivers are employed.

I will reserve my opinion(s) about the new Fluance speakers until I get to see some credible reviews per se. They sure look up to the task. Time will tell. Right now I am using Polk RTi speakers. Many here do NOT care for them. I, on the other hand, do like the Polk sound. To each his own. But, for what I gave for them I am certainly NOT complaining.

Who knows, the new Fluance speakers may turn out to be truly GIANT killers. If so, then you can bet your bottom dollar that I will own them! Sure like the look.

Cheers,

Phil
Cheaper drivers... :) how do you think they give lifetime warranty? Anyways, as long as there is a smooth transition in the crossover for the drivers, it from what I was told and from what i experienced doesn't make a difference. You say you have Polk speakers huh? I read that a lot of polkies, move there caps to Sonicaps.

M

M Midnight

Audioholic Intern
Here's my early impressions: ......... They remind me alot of the B&W diamond series, hyper detailed,fast,exceptionally clean and clear, i can hear so many more details and the instruments stand out in a big way in direct comparison with my R55TI's...........more to come..... I can't believe they sound this good for this money to be perfectly honest,they sound like a smaller scaled down version of the B&W 802 Diamond with less bass performance and a smaller soundstage. It is still very early and i will have more impressions but so far these speakers seem to have no flaws.......and they sound spectacular.

The build quality is also amazing it has the dark walnut look of the sonus faber olympia series and the piano black front of the b&w diamond series, hell it even has a yellow colored midrange driver just like the diamond series, so considering this and the style of the sound i can tell this was prolly the speaker line these speakers were inspired by.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Cheaper drivers... :) how do you think they give lifetime warranty? Anyways, as long as there is a smooth transition in the crossover for the drivers, it from what I was told and from what i experienced doesn't make a difference. You say you have Polk speakers huh? I read that a lot of polkies, move there caps to Sonicaps.
By being cheap/inexpensive drivers, perhaps it is easier to offer life-time warranties? Yeah, I have read where many a Polkie made good use of the Sonicaps. Just don't see myself messing with that right now. Been out of the game for over 6-years now and just getting my feet wet again.

Actually, I came across the Sony Core speakers as was totally blown away with their sound for the money. Somehow, I ended up with my Polks as the deal I got was too good to pass up. Actually, I am very interested in seeing just how well the new Fluance speakers can/does stack up against the Sony Cores? My guess is, the Sony Cores will do quite well.

Much later down the road, I may experiment with using Sonicaps. Or, may consider putting a sub together when time/money allows. Right now, I have all I can handle getting my new set-up up and running. My listening area is rather small, so it does present a challenge. Just a work in progress.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Did SonicCraft redesign the crossover or did they use components with the exact same measured values? I can understand components with tighter tolerances making a sonic difference but I'm not drinking the cool-aid that different material types of capacitors change the sound which btw sounds like the same BS audiophool snake oil for expensive power cords, interconnects and cables.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks, it helps to know the per!
Here's my early impressions: ......... They remind me alot of the B&W diamond series, hyper detailed,fast,exceptionally clean and clear, i can hear so many more details and the instruments stand out in a big way in direct comparison with my R55TI's...........more to come..... I can't believe they sound this good for this money to be perfectly honest,they sound like a smaller scaled down version of the B&W 802 Diamond with less bass performance and a smaller soundstage. It is still very early and i will have more impressions but so far these speakers seem to have no flaws.......and they sound spectacular.

The build quality is also amazing it has the dark walnut look of the sonus faber olympia series and the piano black front of the b&w diamond series, hell it even has a yellow colored midrange driver just like the diamond series, so considering this and the style of the sound i can tell this was prolly the speaker line these speakers were inspired by.
Which Fluance did you get? The floorstanders?

If the Fluance beats your RBH's, that is impressive indeed!!!

Very much looking forward to you follow-up!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
It sounds like this is a secret only you are privy to.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis