Fluance RT-80 Turntable Help Needed!!

bread29

bread29

Junior Audioholic
I've had a Fluance RT-80 for the past year and decided to buy a new cartridge as an early Christmas present to myself. I purchased the Ortofon 2M Red.

Problem #1:(Wiring)
The Fluance says to wire this way:
upload_2017-12-23_9-47-18.png

Whereas the Ortofon says to wire this way:
upload_2017-12-23_9-48-53.png

Do I wire according to what the turntable recommends or follow what Ortofon says?

Problem #2: (Tonearm Balancing)
I have followed the manual to the T, by setting the antiskating to zero and pushing the counterweight onto the end of the tonearm until it clicks. Move the tonearm over the platter and slowly back off the counterweight until the tonearm balances itself.
I cannot achieve the balance due to counterweight backing itself off the rail completely before the tonearm balances. Did I purchase a cartridge without properly researching? (YES). Is the Ortofon 2M too heavy or not compatible with the RT-80? (I HOPE NOT).

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
For the wiring of the cartridge, the instructions are exactly the same for both Ortofon and Fluance.

With regard to the adjustment of the tone arm, I suggest that you contact the seller for information.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I've had a Fluance RT-80 for the past year and decided to buy a new cartridge as an early Christmas present to myself. I purchased the Ortofon 2M Red.

Problem #1:(Wiring)
The Fluance says to wire this way:
View attachment 23129

Whereas the Ortofon says to wire this way:
View attachment 23130
Do I wire according to what the turntable recommends or follow what Ortofon says?

Problem #2: (Tonearm Balancing)
I have followed the manual to the T, by setting the antiskating to zero and pushing the counterweight onto the end of the tonearm until it clicks. Move the tonearm over the platter and slowly back off the counterweight until the tonearm balances itself.
I cannot achieve the balance due to counterweight backing itself off the rail completely before the tonearm balances. Did I purchase a cartridge without properly researching? (YES). Is the Ortofon 2M too heavy or not compatible with the RT-80? (I HOPE NOT).
First the wiring. The Ortofon and Fluance wiring are identical.

The weight problem is not solvable without modifying the turntable. The maximum supported cartridge weight of the your Fluance turntable is 6.5 GM. The weight of the Ortofon 2M red is 7.2 GM.

Getting rid of the turntable would be optimal. It is a stupid design. That will exclude using an awful lot of good cartridges. The arm looks to be a particularly awful design.

You will have to add mass to the counter weight. What I would do is take off the counterweight and drill a hole on the side of it, and use a thread tap to take a threaded bar cut to suitable length. Then I would add enough nuts to the threaded bar to balance the cartridge mid range of adjustment.

If you are used to simple metal work and especially if you have a drill press this will be easy. If this is beyond your capabilities then find a good machinest and have him do it. If you don't want to do the mod, get a better turntable.

bread29

bread29

Junior Audioholic
Thank you for the guidance. This is my first turntable and I will return the cartridge and save for an upgrade. Any suggestions <$500?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The weight problem is not solvable without modifying the turntable. The maximum supported cartridge weight of the your Fluance turntable is 6.5 GM. The weight of the Ortofon 2M red is 7.2 GM.
Limiting the weight of the cartridge like that seems pretty strange!
Have you seen this on many other tone arms?
Also, was the dust cover of older TT's a waste of plastic? Every TT back in the 70's 80's had a cover and I have a hard time seeeing "unprotected" TT's.
Now that TT's are a boutique item and no longer the only game in town as a household music format, much more emphasis seems to be put into the details and why no dust cover?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Also, was the dust cover of older TT's a waste of plastic? Every TT back in the 70's 80's had a cover and I have a hard time seeeing "unprotected" TT's.
Now that TT's are a boutique item and no longer the only game in town as a household music format, much more emphasis seems to be put into the details and why no dust cover?
Just don't get me started again on all the junk out there.

However the turntable I specked for the OP is about the lowest in price you want to go. Anything less than that will be junk.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Audio-Technica TT's are not boutique items but have dust covers. They also perform very well. I have the AT-LP1240 and I wouldn't replace it with any of the expensive boutique TT's. Also, some DJ's are now using this TT to replace the Technics SL1200 Series turntables which are now way out of affordable pricing for what better performance?

Last edited:
bread29

bread29

Junior Audioholic
Thank you for all the input. I ended up keeping the 2M Red after wrapping the counterweight in a fine layer of electrical tape to offset the weight of the cartridge. Works like a charm! Thanks electrical tape.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
Mate Ortofon's wire function (not colour code) to the turntable's wire function (not colour code). I.E. L ch hot to L ch hot.

In this particular case, the colour codes for both cartridge and turntable tonearm do match, so no conflict.

The Fluance's cartridge weight limit is because of the weight and available adjustment range of the counterweight supplied with the turntable.

That may or may not be a problem. You can use a heavier counterweight, but first to determine if one is actually needed, balance the arm and add the recommended tracking force. If the tracking force you can apply meets the cartridge manufacturer's recommended setting, carry on.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

Kew,

My ProJect Xpression III mentions in its instruction manual that the weight of cartridges are all over the map. The manual states what the weight range of cartridges can be used that can be handled by the shipped counterweight. The manufacturer also supplies another part number for a heavier counterweight that covers the heavier cartridge units. IHO, it should have shipped with both.

IMO, all turntables should come with dust covers. I think it wrong for any manufacturer to exclude them as part of the unit.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
Dust covers, although traditional, are not really needed. The stylus isn't going to get dirty in it's protective orientation and with many turntables, playing records with the dust cover down causes feedback. If it saves the buyer $50 on a budget turntable, it might be a justifiable means to lower the retail price or include a better cartridge (replacement dust covers are typically almost $100 retail; REGA charges $90).

The solution of using electrical tape is effective, but were it me I would instead go to a store that sells fishing gear and lures; you can buy stick-on lead weights for very little money, and you would avoid the adhesive of electrical tape, which is a pain to deal with. Place a small lead weight on the bottom side of the counterweight if you can (balance and add tracking force with the weight on the counterweight, then re-position it to the bottom of the counterweight).

Lead is also an effective resonance control material, although it's effect on a budget tonearm might be purely academic; none the less it will do no harm.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Dust covers, although traditional, are not really needed. The stylus isn't going to get dirty in it's protective orientation and with many turntables, playing records with the dust cover down causes feedback. If it saves the buyer $50 on a budget turntable, it might be a justifiable means to lower the retail price or include a better cartridge (replacement dust covers are typically almost $100 retail; REGA charges $90).
Dust covers are needed not for protecting the stylus but for preventing dust landing on the platter and contaminating albums with dirt when playing albums. There's no excuse for manufacturers not providing dust covers as part of the turntable.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Dust covers are needed not for protecting the stylus but for preventing dust landing on the platter and contaminating albums with dirt when playing albums. There's no excuse for manufacturers not providing dust covers as part of the turntable.
Personally I'd buy a tt with a dust cover, each of the ones I've had had one in any case. Altho I can imagine the ala carte option might be nice if mounting in a cabinet where the cabinet provides such duties...

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
You can always clean a platter; it may even be recommended and having a dust cover may even lead people into avoiding the task. The sticky surface synthetic rubber roller types (the ones you clean with water, not the ones with tape as used to clean the lint off your wedding suit) work very well for any type of platter mat or bare platter.

An alternative is to use a static-neutralizer such as a Zerostat gun, which prevents the down side of the album from picking up dust electrostatically, it will just lay there on the matt instead of adhering to the album.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Man, I'm glad I no longer muck with this stuff!
I need to go ahead and sell my old Thorens, though it does look pretty!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis