Floorstanding speakers on a budget?

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
i am tring to keep my self to a 400 for a pair , been to all local pawn shops and audio places i could find
I don't know if this has been asked already but do you HAVE to buy floorstanders? Because if you don't you could get a but better bookshelf than those towers. Best one that comes to mind at that price range would be the Usher S-520 bookshelves.

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
I don't know if this has been asked already but do you HAVE to buy floorstanders? Because if you don't you could get a but better bookshelf than those towers. Best one that comes to mind at that price range would be the Usher S-520 bookshelves.
I agree, and would also suggest the Ascend CBM-170SE.

R

Ryan8886

Audioholic
Check these out. They fit your price range well and are a solid budget tower speaker. Although don't immediately rule out the sound from quality bookshelf speakers as stated above. Audition a few different types and see what your ear likes. As was mentioned above, home audio and car audio are two entirely different arenas.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ATASF2.2

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Boston Acoustics VR series at Circuit City or Onecall or Audio Advisor - sale maybe ending 7/31?
I second that. I bought a pair of VR2s, and they sound great! Normally $800/pr, on sale for $460, so one heck of a good deal.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
i was looking at the online Cerwin Vega CLS-12's
Most people are recommending HT type speakers with small drivers. Those speakers are intended to be used with a sub. What you want, is speakers that kick ars as is. For your budget, there is only one answer. Cerwin Vega!

These are out of stock at the moment, but will be in soon. Your total, shipped to your door, is $472.98. There is no speaker on the planet that will kick more butt for the price than these.

I have an older model from 1985. The 12" woofers have a hard punch, and do a great job with LF. Cerwin Vega speakers can take years of abuse, and never break a sweat.

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4082102

http://www.cerwinvega.com/CLS12.php

Last edited:
J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Most people are recommending HT type speakers with small drivers. Those speakers are intended to be used with a sub. What you want, is speakers that kick ars as is. For your budget, there is only one answer. Cerwin Vega!
Maybe they have improved in recent years. The Cerwin Vegas of old were "keg party" speakers: loud, powerful, indestructable, and crappy sounding. Great for dancing, terrible for serious listening.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Maybe they have improved in recent years. The Cerwin Vegas of old were "keg party" speakers: loud, powerful, indestructable, and crappy sounding. Great for dancing, terrible for serious listening.
"Crappy sounding" depends on the ears of the beer holder.:D The simple fact is, they rock the party.

We are working with a 400-500 budget for some floor-standers that produce car audio style bass, none of which describes "serious listening".

My Cerwins served me very well. They don't have the perfection of my MB Quarts, but they hit twice as hard, and are more than twice as loud. And, they cost 1/4 the price.

K

Kitoace

Enthusiast
at least i found some one who likes CV's , i am glad i was looking at them , i got a new list of places to go hit up looking for speakers on a used price range so i might be able to get a pair casue i know 2 of the 6 places i am going to ghave CV's in there listing dont say model but they said they got Cv floor standers

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
at least i found some one who likes CV's , i am glad i was looking at them , i got a new list of places to go hit up looking for speakers on a used price range so i might be able to get a pair casue i know 2 of the 6 places i am going to ghave CV's in there listing dont say model but they said they got Cv floor standers

The CLS are going to blow the VE's away. You may have a hard time finding the CLS locally. Reply back with your findings, and good luck!;)

K

Kitoace

Enthusiast
i am going to pick up either 2 15's or 2 12's tonight or tomarrow =)

Last edited:
A

autoboy

Audioholic
Haha, I love this thread. Brings me back to college. I had massive 150LB Infinity speakers that I got at Costco for $200. It was a three way speaker with a 1" foam tweeter, a 4" paper midrange, and a massive 15" woofer. Man! Those things could really hit hard during parties. Ah, I miss the days when that was good sound...kinda.

Sounds like you want the cerwin vega. Go for it. I'm not going to stop you. Most of us here are interested in sound quality and not quantity so we continue to recomend speakers with great sound quality at the expense of sheer loudness and bass. Those CV's sound like just what you are looking for and I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

E

EnzoPolotso

Audioholic Intern
Since the poster is basing the majority of his decision on "liking how big speakers look", I don't think he cares too much that other options would sound as good/better for less or the same amount of money.

K

Kitoace

Enthusiast
well i got 2 CV 15's and i am happy with them , i also got them for 280 instead of 400 cause they had scratches on the back of the speaker box and i must say they sound good , i want to hook my amp up to them but i dont have any wire left to even move the speakers from each other , you guys think 14 guage wire iis good enough? i think i got 16 guage on there right now but i want to get 14

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
CWs are big, play loud and go low since that's what you wanted; enjoy them. One of my good friends uses them and he loves them...me...not so much...

as far as speaker wire; I would cut off some jumper cables and stay with the "big" theme. It would look awesome.

I am just giving you a hard tim I hope you know. Enjoy your set up!

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis