Floorstanding speakers on a budget?

K

Kitoace

Enthusiast
hello all , as you can see this is my first post on here , i don't know much of home audio but i do know a decent amount for car audio .

my uncle was kind enough to give me his old stereo equipment he no longer used , the stuff is old but man does it work great

JVC R-X350VB receiver back says 250w - speaker independence is
1 and 2 : 8-16 ohm , 1 or 2: 4-16 ohm's

California audio labs DX-1 compact disk player

and the amp he gave me is a

phase liner model 300 says 600 watts va max

can any one help me match some speakers to it?

i have 400-500$ for a pair i would pref something that has a Crisp sound with mild bass like an SQL sub sounds in a car

i am having trouble finding speakers in my price range around town and thought coming to a forum would be best, and out of the few forums i looked at this one seemed like a nice place to ask

this stuff i have is old but it works like the day it was new , its currently hooked up to a 23 ? year old sharp floor standing speaker that if i had a set of them i wouldn't be here but i only have 1

Thanks for the help
Justin

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
av123.com has the x-series floor standers now, they look wonderful and I have heard nothing but good things about the bookshelf version.

K

Kitoace

Enthusiast
i dont see a floor standing speaker on the x-series but then again theres 2 that dont have images and says they will be out in augest which means i'll buy them for my birthday gift =)

i was looking at the online Cerwin Vega CLS-12's

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry, they don't have the floorstanders pictured, but they are there (they look great by the way)

Cerwin Vega is a rock speaker, they go loud but for the most part don't exhibit high fidelity sound. But if loud and bass heavy is what you are after Cerwin Vega will work fine, and they can take some torture.:)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
And car sound does not compare to home audio sound, they are two completely different animals.:D

K

Kitoace

Enthusiast
AHH!! double poster!

and i know car audio dont compare its just cheaper =) i have prob 3-4 grand invested to my cars audio and i only paid 2000 for my car its self (its a camaro)

i never really found my self listen to my home stereo till my uncle gave me his now i wanna wire my HD to it some how >=) that would be bad *** would be like my car haha

B

buzzy

Audioholic Intern
Boston Acoustics VR series at Circuit City or Onecall or Audio Advisor - sale maybe ending 7/31?

Mirage 350 and 550 at Vanns

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Boston Acoustics VR series at Circuit City or Onecall or Audio Advisor - sale maybe ending 7/31?

Mirage 350 and 550 at Vanns
I have the Mirage 550 and I love them. They fill the room so easily even with my crappy 5 year old sony receiver.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I pretty much pee my pants evertime I see those MTM floorstanders from Onix.:D

K

Kitoace

Enthusiast
now are they loud?
i dont think it has much for bass but i guess thats why they sell a sub sep i guess

need to get my post count to 5 so i can post the linky

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
There was someone else here in the forums that was looking for some towers and bought the VR2's as CC has them on sale. After listening he decided to return them and upgrade to the VR3's for their better bass response. I think CC still has the VR3's as well on sale for $100 more or I think he got them somewhere online.

K

Kitoace

Enthusiast
i am tring to keep my self to a 400 for a pair , been to all local pawn shops and audio places i could find

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis