Floorstander needed if using subs?

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
You merely set gain as needed, being 1/2 way around a dial is relatively meaningless.
Unless it is calibrated correctly for system. Any adjustments afterwards is for personal preference which is fine by me. I simply calibrated mine and leave everything flat and alone afterwards. I prefer direct and natural for picture and neutral playback for sound. If the bass isn’t there it’s the recordings fault. If it is and I don’t hear enough it’s my subs fault:(

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Unless it is calibrated correctly for system. Any adjustments afterwards is for personal preference which is fine by me. I simply calibrated mine and leave everything flat and alone afterwards. I prefer direct and natural for picture and neutral playback for sound. If the bass isn’t there it’s the recordings fault. If it is and I don’t hear enough it’s my subs fault:(
Well you should calibrate it well for your source/pre-amp levels....I don't know why you'd change it on the sub afterwards, maybe in the avr for taste.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
https://www.parts-express.com/bc-21ds115-4-21-professional-neodymium-subwoofer-4-ohm--294-6032?gclid=CjwKCAjw_uDsBRAMEiwAaFiHa2dg9AKfFOOpzCTlCQUMG3tta4DxqhrNoqbmG_3yKg4b_uj7FYKAkxoCQ7UQAvD_BwE
Pro subwoofers are good for home theater ? ANd stuff , the si 24” is probably close to same value as my 15” it’s just 10x the cost ? But 8x -10 the output ? So essentially it’s the same price range for power
Pro subs have much less xmax but higher power handling and efficiency?
Pro isn't a well defined designation, better to just consider its specs (t/s parameters). I haven't compared so not sure how you're coming up with the specifics for your HT-15D2 vs other drivers....

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You sound like a good candidate for the SVS Ultra's! If your dollars matter, wait for Bstock inventory (usually very difficult to find the blemish), the Ultra BS will go for $400 each. But the reason to buy SVS over Emotiva and Monoprice (which I have not heard) is that SVS will let you keep them for 54 days and if you decide not to keep them, they will pay for the return shipping - it won't cost you a dime!
The SVS Ultras are very good speakers. They are designed by Mark Mason who used to design speakers for PSB!
I know of one speaker which, if you will use a subwoofer is a better buy - that is the Canton Vento for $850. The tweeter is a little more refined to my ear:
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/cantvento826.2blka/canton-vento-826.2-6-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-black-pair/1.html
However, it is not a whole lot better than the Ultra, and you'd probably have to pay return shipping and a restocking fee if you just decided you did not like them. There is no guarantee what sounds better to me would match your preference.
Consequently, I feel much better about recommending the SVS Ultra. I think you would consider them excellent, but there is truly no risk if you did not.
The best way to do this is to get two or three speakers in your home for comparison purposes. The idea of going to one store to listen to a speaker then to a totally different room for another is a poor comparison - room acoustics, your mood (in a rush, etc), and how well you can remember the speakers you heard even 5 minutes ago all confound your judgement! The ideal is to get them in your home for a couple weeks to compare (if you can float a couple of pairs on your CC). Crutchfield has a pretty good selection and has a pretty good return policy - only something like a nominal $15 fee to return (read their policy to make sure). $15 to ensure the speakers you keep are better than another pair of recommended speakers is a bargain in my opinion.

@shadyJ did you get a chance to hear the SVS Ultras when AH reviewed them? Thoughts on them vs Monolith or Emotiva?
Haven't heard the SVS Ultra towers. They do look like a solid tower speaker, I am sure they are quite good. I have no doubt about the Monolith speaker, that is bound to be a very good speaker. I am a bit more skeptical about the Emotiva speakers. In my experience, cheap AMT tweeters have been fairly erratic in their behavior. A good AMT costs money. I would want to see some real measurements of the Emotiva speakers before recommending them.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Even though the floor stander may reach a desirable frequency, the optimal placement for imaging/soundstage/etc for the towers is almost never the same spot where it’s optimal to place the subs/produce those frequencies.
Most people seem to forget that you will reduce more room modes with more subwoofer sources, but even if they do know that, they never seem to equate full range speakers with subwoofers even though a subwoofer is just a low bass reproduction speaker. Thus, if you have 6-7 full range speakers in your home theater, it's the same as having 6-7 subwoofers in the room, especially if the bass drivers are sent the LFE signal as well. So while one or two floorstanding speakers might not be in so-called optimum positions for helping to eliminate room mode influence, I think you'll find having SEVEN all around the room might just kill most of the room modes after all. While subwoofer bass is not considered directional, the crossover slope means an 80Hz is still going to be playing directional frequencies, at least in the 150Hz range if not 300Hz. You'll never have that consideration with full range speakers as all directional bass is reproduced where it's supposed to be coming from.

I think the original question is orientated more towards whether full range speakers are needed if you ARE going to use a sub anyway and the answer there is probably not, IMO. Some say full range speakers cross more smoothly into the bass range (i.e. I've read a good rule of thumb is to have capability to one octave lower than the crossover point for a smooth transition),but then I've also read that just leads to more interference. My L/C/R (PSB T45) and Rear speakers (PSB X1T) are full range down to around 35Hz and playing with the full range setting PLUS subwoofer for stereo definitely results in some new bumps. It might reduce some holes in the response, but it also creates some new peaks at some frequencies. If I had more speakers all running at once, it might even out some modes a bit more, but for stereo with just two 35Hz speakers, I preferred just using the subwoofer since 35Hz isn't really "full range" at all and the sub I have gives me flat response to 20Hz so I ended up crossing everything at 80Hz except the rear speakers since it's 24' into the back of the room (until I get my second subwoofer). It's set to play to 40Hz.

Now my Carver ribbons upstairs are flat to about 25Hz and my bass in that room is dead flat with no correction (nice room for bass) using the speakers where they're at so a sub would just muck things up, IMO. I listen to mostly music there which rarely has content below 30Hz and I feed the Carver woofers 350W into each speaker into 4 Ohms (active crossover employed). Even so I have a small 8" subwoofer (good to around 30Hz) for the surround channels (2.1 rear system) used for the occasional movie or TV program upstairs and there's definitely a difference with a subwoofer sitting literally right behind my chair there (I almost jumped out the seat with TRON Legacy running with the Klipsch rear channels set to play full range in addition the Carver mains during some scenes). You get some minor almost shaker-like feedback with a sub almost right up against the chair when it kicks in hard. Not all movies put a lot of bass in the rear channels, though (i.e. LFE goes to mains without a sub).

Last edited:
HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Most people seem to forget that you will reduce more room nodes with more subwoofer sources, but even if they do know that, they never seem to equate full range speakers with subwoofers even though a subwoofer is just a low bass reproduction speaker. Thus, if you have 6-7 full range speakers in your home theater, it's the same as having 6-7 subwoofers in the room, especially if the bass drivers are sent the LFE signal as well. So while one or two floorstanding speakers might not be in so-called optimum positions for helping to eliminate room node influence, I think you'll find having SEVEN all around the room might just kill most of the room nodes after all. While subwoofer bass is not considered directional, the crossover slope means an 80Hz is still going to be playing directional frequencies, at least in the 150Hz range if not 300Hz. You'll never have that consideration with full range speakers as all directional bass is reproduced where it's supposed to be coming from.

I think the original question is orientated more towards whether full range speakers are needed if you ARE going to use a sub anyway and the answer there is probably not, IMO. Some say full range speakers cross more smoothly into the bass range (i.e. I've read a good rule of thumb is to have capability to one octave lower than the crossover point for a smooth transition), but then I've also read that just leads to more interference. My L/C/R (PSB T45) and Rear speakers (PSB X1T) are full range down to around 35Hz and playing with the full range setting PLUS subwoofer for stereo definitely results in some new bumps. It might reduce some holes in the response, but it also creates some new peaks at some frequencies. If I had more speakers all running at once, it might even out some nodes a bit more, but for stereo with just two 35Hz speakers, I preferred just using the subwoofer since 35Hz isn't really "full range" at all and the sub I have gives me flat response to 20Hz so I ended up crossing everything at 80Hz except the rear speakers since it's 24' into the back of the room (until I get my second subwoofer). It's set to play to 40Hz.

Now my Carver ribbons upstairs are flat to about 25Hz and my bass in that room is dead flat with no correction (nice room for bass) using the speakers where they're at so a sub would just muck things up, IMO. I listen to mostly music there which rarely has content below 30Hz and I feed the Carver woofers 350W into each speaker into 4 Ohms (active crossover employed). Even so I have a small 8" subwoofer (good to around 30Hz) for the surround channels (2.1 rear system) used for the occasional movie or TV program upstairs and there's definitely a difference with a subwoofer sitting literally right behind my chair there (I almost jumped out the seat with TRON Legacy running with the Klipsch rear channels set to play full range in addition the Carver mains during some scenes). You get some minor almost shaker-like feedback with a sub almost right up against the chair when it kicks in hard. Not all movies put a lot of bass in the rear channels, though (i.e. LFE goes to mains without a sub).
That’s a 4 course meal there dude!
I thought long post were my specialty ;)
As far as I know a true sub woofer is one that plays below the hearing bottom line say 18-20hz. They are the one that are FELT-but not actually heard other than room stress making noise!

I totally agree that a true full range speaker 20hz-20khz +/-3db is preferable for full range music however most of today’s home speakers and amps don’t have the muscle to get the majority of people that experience inside the budget of any blue collard workers sense of audio reason!

Perhaps bass coming at you from multiple sources all at the same frequency and output level which by my experience isn’t possible in discrete multi channel (excluding multi sub arrangements) “may” help with room boundary interference but it definitely doesn’t simplify a very difficult in room frequency band to integrate smoothly.

Some say they can still locate their sub below 80hz and even lower probably because the sub levels are to high or the sub enclosure itself hasn’t been dampened well enough for the output!

Question for you is, “why would you want your low frequency bass which most of the frequency band in question here is from say 5hz-80hz localizable?”

Thunder is not localizable to us when it shakes our homes and there is plenty enough localized bass above the 80hz crossover point to give us directional information.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
T

I Agree with you to a point! Efficiency of the true floor standers over the bookshelves depends a lot upon the space they have to breathe.
Subwoofers don't need room to breathe (in-ear headphones wouldn't work if bass needed literal space to work ). Subwoofer response is a function of the room modes which can be treated with bass traps and the like. Many small studio rooms and monitoring rooms have good bass response after treatment.

Just because the measurements agree with the floor standers over the bookshelf does not mean they are suited in the same room for the same dedicated role! (Efficiency should include the room area into that equation)
I have no idea what that means. Large speakers are typically more efficient than small bookshelf speakers.

As Audiophiles we can agree we want the most bang for our hard earned dollar which can side on the favour of bookshelves that can breath correctly in the quarters they reside in!
I stopped calling myself an audiophile a long time ago. The designation was ruined by Stereophile selling snake oil garbage to make money.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
True subwoofer generally just means capable down to 20 Hz, rather than one limited to 30-40 Hz. Below 20 (Infrasound/ULF) is a bit different, content as low as 5 Hz is pretty rare, too. I still don't get the room area thing either.

X

XTex

Audioholic Intern
The conversation seems to be oriented on bass performance but as someone who just switched from M16s to F35s I am truly surprised at the large improvement in sound. The bass is tighter in direct mode and they do dig deeper but what is most impressive is the increased dynamics, soundstage, and stereo separation.

The M16s are excellent performers and I certainly don't need towers in my smaller space. I still cross the F35s over at 70 Hz so am not passing any more bass information than before, but the performance in the rest of the sonic range is absolutely better. The floorstanders are worth it even if I don't use them for 'more bass'.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
As far as I know a true sub woofer is one that plays below the hearing bottom line say 18-20hz. They are the one that are FELT-but not actually heard other than room stress making noise!
I've seen many definitions for subwoofer from below 125Hz to below 30Hz, but the basic idea is that it's a dedicated driver for bass that below your normal woofer. Whether it's "needed" or not in a given system is another matter. Some speakers can play fairly full range, but that doesn't mean they can output enough air to reach the levels you may desire to play. Then there's the matter of whether you're playing movies or music and if music only, do you listen to electronic music and the like as most typical "normal" music rarely has content much below 30Hz.

I totally agree that a true full range speaker 20hz-20khz +/-3db is preferable for full range music however most of today’s home speakers and amps don’t have the muscle to get the majority of people that experience inside the budget of any blue collard workers sense of audio reason!
I'm not talking about most or many, but what's possible. If someone buys all Def Tech floor standing speakers in say a 7.1 system with built-in powered subwoofers and sets them up to reproduce LFE, I doubt they're going to need another subwoofer in their system. Now other "full range" speakers might not have enough muscle to move the air at levels desired, but then that's not really a full range speaker in that sense. My Carvers have 10" bass drivers. They're flat to 27Hz (about 25 in the actual room) and can produce pretty high SPLs down to that range, but they also have 350W going to each one of them and have high excursion. Many newer subs are designed for higher output to lower frequencies using more power. There's no reason full range towers can't do the same.

I'm not saying that's the cheapest way to go and many rooms won't support full range towers for all home theater positions (e.g. I can't fit full range front wides or side surrounds in my home theater as they would stick out from the wall too much and block the walkway or a table or whatever in at least a couple positions. For MOST people, subwoofers are the way to go and two subs are typically easier to integrate into a room for multiple seating positions than just one. I get +/- 2.5dB at the MLP for bass, but most seats are more like +/- 5dB and one seat is +/- 7dB and that is in a treated room (and room correction typically only works for a 3 foot area typically; if you have multiple rows it's not going to be a lot of help). A second sub set up properly would likely help reduce those dips/peaks. OTOH, a poorly set up second sub can do more damage than good.

Perhaps bass coming at you from multiple sources all at the same frequency and output level which by my experience isn’t possible in discrete multi channel (excluding multi sub arrangements) “may” help with room boundary interference but it definitely doesn’t simplify a very difficult in room frequency band to integrate smoothly.
I should have saved the article I read on this subject. The gist was the more bass sources you have reproducing the same frequencies (i.e. all doing LFE),the more even the overall room response tends to become. With only a couple or a few sources, you might get more destructive interference depending on room placement, but by the time you get to 5-7 bass producers around the room, it tends to help far more than hurt even without careful placement (i.e. a set of 5 full range towers in a 5-speaker home theater would likely have more even room response than a single subwoofer or 5.1 system using bandwidth limited 5 speakers and one subwoofer.) But then using a sub too would only add another bass source and further even the response. Now if the bass material is not LFE (mono),they might not all be producing bass at the same time and that would not apply as all sources have to be active for the mode kill effect to work.

Some say they can still locate their sub below 80hz and even lower probably because the sub levels are to high or the sub enclosure itself hasn’t been dampened well enough for the output!
It's usually the higher frequencies that give the position away, not 80Hz or below. "Some" people MIGHT be able to localize some bass below 80Hz (people have a wide variance in their individual responses; I can hear frequencies over 20kHz for instance for some odd reason, but they appear as beat frequencies below 20kHz in actual "sound" to me. In other words, if I play a 22kHz test tone, I can hear it, but it sounds more like 15kHz or something, not what I'd expect 22kHz to sound like). I think it's an ear anomaly somehow creating a beat frequency, but it's very annoying as I can often hear alarm systems and bug zapper type sounds (one family member has bug zappers and I have to unplug them when I visit as they're awful sounding. NO ONE I know that's been in the same house can hear those sounds. But I don't hear them at a 20kHz or higher pitch. I hear them in the 10-20kHz band as what I assume is a beat frequency.

Question for you is, “why would you want your low frequency bass which most of the frequency band in question here is from say 5hz-80hz localizable?”
I'm not suggesting it would be localizable in that band. I'm suggesting even a subwoofer with a 4th order crossover playing stereo music will not stop playing entirely above 80Hz. It would still be outputting sound 12dB down at 160Hz and 160Hz is able to be localized by most people. 100Hz is localized by most people as well and it would only be down 3dB at 100Hz. Similarly, it would be down 6dB at 120Hz, 9dB at 140Hz and and 12dB at 160Hz. So it should be a small wonder that people sometimes can localize their subwoofers with bass in the 100Hz-140Hz regions, especially if they have the subwoofer turned up 4-6dB above flat for extra bass kick (pretty common with home theater setups). A room with all full range speakers would not have that issue as all speakers would still produce stereo sounds from the correct location. That's all I'm saying. Once you move a subwoofer to position in the room that does not correlate with the actual sound position, you risk having at least some frequencies be able to be localized more than others. Room peaks can make that worse as can furniture and other room items vibrating in sympathy with the sub (rattles and the like),which will all tend be at higher or less controlled frequencies. It can be a PITA to get rid of those things.

Thunder is not localizable to us when it shakes our homes and there is plenty enough localized bass above the 80hz crossover point to give us directional information.
I don't know about you, but I can often tell which general direction thunder is coming from, at least the initial sound which is more than just rumble. Even if I play the Atmos "Amazing" demo which does three thunder claps, each from the front, middle or back of the room and they are all clearly easily localized as the thunder has components well above the subwoofer range that gives them away and all my ceiling speakers are bandwidth limited to 80Hz and above. It's the higher components that often give bass a location in the room. So bass guitar notes in the 40Hz-60Hz region may not be localized with their fundamental frequency, but their higher order frequencies and things like the finger noise on the strings can certainly be localized. That doesn't mean a subwoofer won't work in the room as the other speakers give the sounds the directional component. But in that crossover region, you can get some problems with direction, especially if the sub is cranked up and the sound in question is electronic in nature (less overtones to give the direction with the main speakers).

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Subwoofers don't need room to breathe (in-ear headphones wouldn't work if bass needed literal space to work ). Subwoofer response is a function of the room nodes which can be treated with bass traps and the like. Many small studio rooms and monitoring rooms have good bass response after treatment.

I have no idea what that means. Large speakers are typically more efficient than small bookshelf speakers.

I stopped calling myself an audiophile a long time ago. The designation was ruined by Stereophile selling snake oil garbage to make money.
Agreed on all counts. Except I think the word you want is modes. Not nodes.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
The conversation seems to be oriented on bass performance but as someone who just switched from M16s to F35s I am truly surprised at the large improvement in sound. The bass is tighter in direct mode and they do dig deeper but what is most impressive is the increased dynamics, soundstage, and stereo separation.

The M16s are excellent performers and I certainly don't need towers in my smaller space. I still cross the F35s over at 70 Hz so am not passing any more bass information than before, but the performance in the rest of the sonic range is absolutely better. The floorstanders are worth it even if I don't use them for 'more bass'.
I haven't looked at those speakers in particular, but there's more to loudspeakers than just the frequency response. Larger speakers with more drivers can move more air and produce less distortion at volume than those with a single driver of the same size (although the driver material and excursion, etc. affect that as well. Some towers have configurations that limit vertical dispersion which can reduce room reflections even in an untreated room, etc. that also can improve the sound over a bookshelf speaker, even one using the same drivers. I use an active mixer to create a "dialog lift" effect in my home theater and use matrixed front wides with a mixer as well, which only give a 3dB difference between them and the front/sides, but do add a real source to the mix which is helpful for off-axis seating imaging just the same. But that same summed mixer effect also creates a miniature line array for stereo material.

In other words, due to extra drivers playing overlapping material in the front heights and front wides, they act like an array as well and a line array can actually reduce ceiling (in vertical configurations) and side wall (in horizontal configuration) room reflections. So unless I turn off the said speakers for stereo material (e.g. music), I get 6-channel arrayed playback for stereo music. I can turn it on/off with one button (mute) on the second AVR being used as a 5-channel amp. You might think it would sound more muddled with extra drivers and sound arrivals, but the delay is adjustable. In fact, to my ears, it sounds CLEARER with the extra speakers playing and seems to slightly increase the stereo image height, width and even depth (since the front wides are in a different plane) to the image, giving it a sound that reminds me of my Carver 72" tall speaker with 48" ribbon dipoles upstairs, which by their very nature are vertical line sources that greatly limit floor/ceiling interaction). Being dipoles, they create an image in the room that is more holographic sounding with the extra sound arrival, which I can simulate downstairs with the height speakers being in a slightly different plane and not delay adjusted. You get horizontal and vertical line array effects and a delayed time arrival creating a more dipole-like sound. I assume that is why with the extra speakers turned on, the sound seems more like my Carvers which it does not when only the 2-channels are playing by themselves in terms of imaging, at least.

I was just trying to improve off-axis response by having front wides and the dialog lift was to make the front sound field image at the drop-down screen level rather than below it. I didn't expect stereo music to sound more life-like as a result as well. REW measurements actually show somewhat flatter overall room response above 80Hz with the extra speakers running as well (measured with room correction OFF). So I ended up doing the Audyssey room correction with the matrixed speakers turned ON so it would correct the overall frequency response with the speakers (since I normally use them that way). It ended up being smoother than corrected 2-channel as well.

Now I have to wonder if going to a discrete 15-channel processor (with Scatmos for 2-more channels) would actually "improve" the overall sound. It might be better for Atmos/X tracks to get precision imaging locations in those areas, but I think stereo might suffer. I suppose I could always connect them to the mixers anyway and just turn off the matrixed inputs for Atmos/X and turn them back on for stereo listening or the like. Room correction in that scenario might not be as flat, though since you'd have to correct for either line array on or off. You couldn't do both as most/all AVRs I've seen don't allow more than one stored Audyssey correction, although you could save/load it over the app/USB stick I suppose. That would be a PITA just to switch to stereo music, though.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Agreed on all counts. Except I think the word you want is modes. Not nodes.
Yeah, I think I was thinking of my electrical background (i.e. Nodal analysis) and my brain got confuzzled with the two similar words. ;) (corrected; thanks)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, I think I was thinking of my electrical background (i.e. Nodal analysis) and my brain got confuzzled with the two similar words. ;) (corrected; thanks)
Lol, been there done that. I’ve forgotten way more stuff in my life than I can remember. Couple that with the fact that my memory recall function isn’t very good and...eek!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
In a medium size room I would rather have nice subs and bookshelves in an upper line series. The center channel is also a key speaker in home theater. YMMV :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis