First speaker system advise

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thank you, I will try the ascend L/R and C and the svs pb 2000 sub as both have a money back guarantee.

There is a sale on the CMT-340 SE with matching stands and sale on stand too, will it also be good choice over the 170?

I need some sleek surround speakers as i cannot have them come out 10 inches since its my walk way in the kitchen.
I think the 340's will have an advantage in dynamic range, ie they will be able to stay clean at louder levels. Some surround speakers that might fit your bill is the SVS Elevation speakers.

K

Kheloram

Enthusiast
On the 340 over 170...yes. I don't have the 340s but do have several others (170SE, Sierra-1, 200SE) and I would definitely go for the 340s over the 170s if that's within your budget.

Pics of your area for surrounds might help for suggestions....

K

Kheloram

Enthusiast
I think the 340's will have an advantage in dynamic range, ie they will be able to stay clean at louder levels. Some surround speakers that might fit your bill is the SVS Elevation speakers.
The elevation speakers are a good idea can be places up above on the back wall. given my room size 340 might be over kill or should be fine as they are within my budget.
thanks for your replies and suggestions it helps and also does not break the bank.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you don't intend to listen at loud levels, the 340s might be overkill. If you like to crank the system on movie night, than it might be worth it to spring for the 340s.

K

Kheloram

Enthusiast
If you don't intend to listen at loud levels, the 340s might be overkill. If you like to crank the system on movie night, than it might be worth it to spring for the 340s.
Yes we like to listen to music on high volumes for our favorite songs.
On the 340 over 170...yes. I don't have the 340s but do have several others (170SE, Sierra-1, 200SE) and I would definitely go for the 340s over the 170s if that's within your budget.

Pics of your area for surrounds might help for suggestions....

Attachments

K

Kheloram

Enthusiast
The elevation speakers are a good idea can be places up above on the back wall. given my room size 340 might be over kill or should be fine as they are within my budget.
thanks for your replies and suggestions it helps and also does not break the bank.
Here is what I am looking at. I am not sure on the looks this is the only thing making me nervous as this is the living room and want it to look good. will find out when we get them.

Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 12.47.46 AM.png

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Going to pull the plug. how do the rythimic compare to the svs a little cheaper.
I think you mean pull the trigger? Pulling the plug means you are going to discontinue some activity. The Rythmik would likely outperform the SVS. You might also look at the Hsu VTF2 mk5 or the EMP Tek I-12.

K

Kheloram

Enthusiast
I think you mean pull the trigger? Pulling the plug means you are going to discontinue some activity. The Rythmik would likely outperform the SVS. You might also look at the Hsu VTF2 mk5 or the EMP Tek I-12.
Sorry pull the trigger I mean. Thanks much for all your advise and patient answers. I will go for this system and try and see what I can do with the surround speakers based on suggestions. I hope me and wife will be satisfied with this.

The cables for speakers and sub what do you suggest.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@Kheloram I'd suggest monoprice.com for basic wire/cable needs, or Mediabridge brand via Amazon....or for the fancier stuff bluejeanscable.com. Do not be sucked into the audiophool wire/cable thing. Try this article or this site for some general info and a speaker wire table to determine gauge for your use.

K

Kheloram

Enthusiast
Thanks for response. I called Ascend if they had any other offer's and when mentioned rom size and dimensions they said the 300 watt subwoofer might not fill my room as i have openings into other rooms.

Given this should i opt for a 600watt sub which is out of my budget or start with the Rhythmic. Or Try the SVS sb2000 which has free return shipping. confused.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for response. I called Ascend if they had any other offer's and when mentioned rom size and dimensions they said the 300 watt subwoofer might not fill my room as i have openings into other rooms.

Given this should i opt for a 600watt sub which is out of my budget or start with the Rhythmic. Or Try the SVS sb2000 which has free return shipping. confused.
It isn't directly related to amp power; you'd need more information about the sub systems overall, especially sensitivity, to compare. Both are excellent subs and close enough in performance I doubt you'd have issues with either. If free return shipping makes you more comfortable go with the SVS. I doubt after hooking everything up with the Ascend/Rythmik package that you'd be eager to pack it up at all....

K

Kheloram

Enthusiast
Thanks Shady J and lovingthehd and all other who helped me decide. Ordered the ascend Rythmic combo. Will setup and come back with updates. I hope we like them performance and looks.

Cost: $1500 shipped will order a pair of the svs for surround and should complete the system.

Thanks you.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
It depends on what Klipsch, and what the final pricing is. If we look at 50% off base MSRP, I think I would still prefer my recommendations. Klipsch doesn't make awful stuff, but it would have to be very heavily discounted to get me to even notice.
Shadyj:
Oh man. you are preaching to the choir about the Klipsch stuff. two thumbs up.

cel4145

cel4145

Audioholic

Just to know for the future, I doubt that the SB-2000 would have as much output as the Rythmik LV12R because it is a smaller enclosure, sealed sub. Amp size is only part of the consideration. Bigger enclosure and ported are design factors in favor of more output. Glad to see you went with the Rythmik. Look forward to seeing what you think of the 340s as I own several Ascend speakers, but not those specifically.

K

Kheloram

Enthusiast
Hello, I have received my Rhythmic Sub and set it up yesterday with some old book shelf speakers.
I ran the audssey setup, the sub is working but docent seem to have that punch which i except in the room.

Is there any thing i am missing in the setup to get good sound out of it.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Audyssey can many times set the sub at a level that is underwhelming to the listener. It might be a neutral response, or it might be at too low of a level for your listening position, but it is impossible to say without measurements. I would adjust the subwoofer out level until you get it at a level you are pleased with. Another alternative is that the subwoofer itself just doesn't have the dynamic range you want.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis