First speaker system advise

K

Kheloram

Enthusiast
Hello,
I am looking to build my first living room room speaker system. ALL I have now is a Denon - X2200W receiver. I have attached a floor plan with the current furniture and pre wired speaker point in the ceiling.

The wife has approved to have towers in the front but nothing bulky and a center channel on the TV stand is ok.

Can you suggest a speaker setup with 5.1 and if possible atmos speakers in the ceiling if budget permits making it 7.1.

I have a budget of ~1500-2000 which is pushing my upper limit.
Thanks in advance for all your help and suggestions.

IMG_4800.PNG

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I take it you don't have room for a big subwoofer? The usual suspects I like in this price range is Ascend, Hsu, and EMP tek. I would be looking at Ascend CBM-170s and a CMT-340 center, or a Hsu Hybrid 5.1 package. If you really want tower speakers, look at some EMP R55Ti towers and a R56Ci center with some R5Bi bookshelf speakers for surrounds. If you can handle a sizable sub, look at what Hsu has, but if you need something small, I would look at a SVS SB2000 or Rythmik L12 or RSL Speedwoofer 10S. I am also intrigued by the Monoprice Air Motion Cinema speakers (bookshelf and center), but not a whole lot is known about those yet.

By the way, if you want Atmos, I would just use those two speakers over your sofa as Atmos height channels.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nothing to add to shadyj's post except that if you use Atmos speakers with a 5.1 speaker setup the designation would change to 5.1.2.

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
Just adding to shady j's & lovinthehd post, SVS Prime Towers has surround package that fits your budget as well and they give you 45 days to audition the package and if you don't like it they pay the return shipping...Cheers

K

Kheloram

Enthusiast
Thanks for all the great comments. Have a few more questions, Are bookshelf speakers enough for the room size? Do I need to put them on stands for front speakers?

Also how to handle the surround part will they have to go on the walls or in ceiling.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It depends on what Klipsch, and what the final pricing is. If we look at 50% off base MSRP, I think I would still prefer my recommendations. Klipsch doesn't make awful stuff, but it would have to be very heavily discounted to get me to even notice.

K

Kheloram

Enthusiast
It depends on what Klipsch, and what the final pricing is. If we look at 50% off base MSRP, I think I would still prefer my recommendations. Klipsch doesn't make awful stuff, but it would have to be very heavily discounted to get me to even notice.
Looks like a system error on the site and all orders canceling.

K

Kheloram

Enthusiast
I take it you don't have room for a big subwoofer? The usual suspects I like in this price range is Ascend, Hsu, and EMP tek. I would be looking at Ascend CBM-170s and a CMT-340 center, or a Hsu Hybrid 5.1 package. If you really want tower speakers, look at some EMP R55Ti towers and a R56Ci center with some R5Bi bookshelf speakers for surrounds. If you can handle a sizable sub, look at what Hsu has, but if you need something small, I would look at a SVS SB2000 or Rythmik L12 or RSL Speedwoofer 10S. I am also intrigued by the Monoprice Air Motion Cinema speakers (bookshelf and center), but not a whole lot is known about those yet.

By the way, if you want Atmos, I would just use those two speakers over your sofa as Atmos height channels.
How about the KEF- R100 for a pair starting 17th $849.99. Can I match the SVS 2000 Sub, not sure what to get for the center and surround.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
KEF R100s promise to be a very neutral speakers. They will be a match for any decent subwoofer.
The matching center and surrounds would the R200 or the R600 but the best idea for a center for that speaker is just to get another R100 and lay it on its side. For surround speakers, you could use other kinds of speakers. In your budget these would eat a big chunk though, I don't think I would go with KEF R series in your budget. Good speakers, but disproportionate in a 2k budget for a 5.1 setup.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As far as bookshelfs for the fronts, yes, you'd generally want speaker stands so that the tweeters are at ear height and able to place away from boundaries. What do you mean match the sub? Subs don't "match", you integrate them with your speakers via bass management tools (in your avr or otherwise).

Might ask @KenM10759, believe he's got experience with several KEF models.

ps Oh, and for surrounds up and slightly behind you is a good location for surrounds.

Last edited:
K

Kheloram

Enthusiast
KEF R100s promise to be a very neutral speakers. They will be a match for any decent subwoofer.
The matching center and surrounds would the R200 or the R600 but the best idea for a center for that speaker is just to get another R100 and lay it on its side. For surround speakers, you could use other kinds of speakers. In your budget these would eat a big chunk though, I don't think I would go with KEF R series in your budget. Good speakers, but disproportionate in a 2k budget for a 5.1 setup.
Thanks, since I already paid for the receiver I have all the 2k for the speakers. These look aesthetically pleasing then others so was looking at them.

Given that 3 R100's a svs 2000 and some surround speakers this should be in budget. Wife looks like is allowing a bit more $ for aesthetics. given this what might be good surrounds which can get the job done.

Also thanks so much for answering my questions.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
My thoughts:
1. You MUST include a subwoofer.
2. For your Left/Center/Right and Surround Left/Surround Right, I would put 90% of my available funds in the Left/Center/Right. They will handle at least 90% of the sounds, so they should get the most love. It's ok, even advisable, in a starting system to cheap out on the surrounds.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Funny this comes up. I use my R100 as surrounds in my 5.1 system but just the other day I took them down and brought them over to my brother-in-law. He had a pair of Acoustic Research Rock Partner speakers that I replaced the foam surrounds on the woofers.

We set up his refurbished AR speakers, which he hadn't heard in perhaps 10 years. He smiled and said they sounded "like new." Then I pulled my R100 pair out of the bag and set them up. The AR have an 8" woofer and 1" tweeter on an angled front baffle and are a sealed (acoustic suspension) design. The R100 are a 5-1/4" woofer and 1" tweeter on a conventional rear ported speaker design.

His eyes bugged out when the R100 started playing. He's getting a pair at that $850 price, he said it's just too good to pass up and they just kill his old speakers in a much more beautiful package. And he thought the magnetic grills were just the coolest thing ever. :)

K

Kheloram

Enthusiast
Funny this comes up. I use my R100 as surrounds in my 5.1 system but just the other day I took them down and brought them over to my brother-in-law. He had a pair of Acoustic Research Rock Partner speakers that I replaced the foam surrounds on the woofers.

We set up his refurbished AR speakers, which he hadn't heard in perhaps 10 years. He smiled and said they sounded "like new." Then I pulled my R100 pair out of the bag and set them up. The AR have an 8" woofer and 1" tweeter on an angled front baffle and are a sealed (acoustic suspension) design. The R100 are a 5-1/4" woofer and 1" tweeter on a conventional rear ported speaker design.

His eyes bugged out when the R100 started playing. He's getting a pair at that $850 price, he said it's just too good to pass up and they just kill his old speakers in a much more beautiful package. And he thought the magnetic grills were just the coolest thing ever. :)
Can I use R100 as my Left and Right speaker in my room if paired with a center and svs 2000 sub.

K

Kheloram

Enthusiast

Hello shady J, happy New year. What do you think about the Triton seven and super center x.
I saw them at a local audio store and also seen as you picked them for this year budget pick. Is this some thing i can look into if the budget can be stretched.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I have heard several of the Triton speakers, they all sounded fine to me. They weren't my picks for the product of the years. that was other Audioholics staff. I am not sure I would stretch my budget that much to get them over what I have already recommended though. They are all solid choices.

K

Kheloram

Enthusiast
I have heard several of the Triton speakers, they all sounded fine to me. They weren't my picks for the product of the years. that was other Audioholics staff. I am not sure I would stretch my budget that much to get them over what I have already recommended though. They are all solid choices.
Thank you, I will try the ascend L/R and C and the svs pb 2000 sub as both have a money back guarantee.

There is a sale on the CMT-340 SE with matching stands and sale on stand too, will it also be good choice over the 170?

I need some sleek surround speakers as i cannot have them come out 10 inches since its my walk way in the kitchen.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
On the 340 over 170...yes. I don't have the 340s but do have several others (170SE, Sierra-1, 200SE) and I would definitely go for the 340s over the 170s if that's within your budget.

Pics of your area for surrounds might help for suggestions....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis