First Real Bike Thoughts

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
(2) The front wheel can be moved a bit side to side within the front drop outs when you clamp down with the quick release skewer. This is helpful if you are getting some rub with the brake shoes against the rim. The problem you are describing is probably that the stem is not in line with the top tube and not with the wheel.
(3) If you can't find the right gear, just ride it and grind it. Depending on the shifting mechanism, you may be able to feather the derailleur a bit with the brifters. You should have the bike shop guys or gals talk you through shifting a bit. One thing is for sure, don't try to spin a big gear esp. when starting out. The idea is to find gears that allow you to keep a nice steady cadence.

Seriously, just ride it and have fun. You'll figure out what you need to know over time. This is my cross bike which I built up from a frame with some old parts, a few parts I found on blow outs and some I swapped for:
This bike has disc brakes, so I'm not sure if you're rubbing advice works with those too. I would assume so, but I don't think it's rubbing at all. The second part sounds about right.

It's not that I can't find the right gear (or at least I don't think that's the problem), but when I start picking up speed and gear down, the chain is rubbing on the derailleaur. It seems like I can feather it a bit and get it to a place where it's not rubbing as badly, but I'm thinking it can just be fixed.

Looks like a nice bike, and definitely a lot nicer than anything I've had before the new one. Another thing that I'm reminded of while I look at yours is that I don't have any water bottle holders. Back to Amazon!

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
This bike has disc brakes, so I'm not sure if you're rubbing advice works with those too. I would assume so, but I don't think it's rubbing at all. The second part sounds about right.

It's not that I can't find the right gear (or at least I don't think that's the problem), but when I start picking up speed and gear down, the chain is rubbing on the derailleaur. It seems like I can feather it a bit and get it to a place where it's not rubbing as badly, but I'm thinking it can just be fixed.

Looks like a nice bike, and definitely a lot nicer than anything I've had before the new one. Another thing that I'm reminded of while I look at yours is that I don't have any water bottle holders. Back to Amazon!
Brake rub is not an issue with disc brakes but the wheel still needs to be centered between the drop outs when you clamp down on the QR skewer. Chain rub is definitely something you want to learn to avoid mainly because it's annoying. It can be tough to avoid rub if you're running the chain at an extreme angle (big chain up front, smallest one in the rear or vice versa). In fact you should avoid those gears entirely since the gear ratios overlap with other gears you have available.

I love Kona bikes and Jake and the snake is a classic cross bike. Enjoy it.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Take it in for a quick tune up, it should have had that done before you left with it.

Learn as you go, I find working on bikes to be very relaxing and I tinker with mine probably 5 days a week. Random neighbor's always see me in the garage working on one of our bikes and they will come pushing a bike up to my garage and ask if I will fix it. 99.9% of the time, I tell them no as I don't want to work on some one's bike.

You could likely just turn the barrel 1/2 turn and that would fix your shift issue but take it in and tell them that you want to watch how they do it.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I'm calling BS. You didn't say one thing about my new wheels but yet you like a gravel-grinder????????????:confused:
Congrats! I'll act impressed, even though I don't know anything about bikes. :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm calling BS. You didn't say one thing about my new wheels but yet you like a gravel-grinder????????????:confused:
I don't really like either (sorry, guys) - but I was congratulating him on his new "first real" bike. Congratulating you on a new bike would be like congratulating Irv on being the bestest, most awesomest at something...how do you congratulate someone on something that's so old hat? :)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Take it in for a quick tune up, it should have had that done before you left with it.

Learn as you go, I find working on bikes to be very relaxing and I tinker with mine probably 5 days a week. Random neighbor's always see me in the garage working on one of our bikes and they will come pushing a bike up to my garage and ask if I will fix it. 99.9% of the time, I tell them no as I don't want to work on some one's bike.

You could likely just turn the barrel 1/2 turn and that would fix your shift issue but take it in and tell them that you want to watch how they do it.
Well, in all honesty it ended up being a gift that my parents surprised me with ;) So I still haven't been back to the bike shop since I went to just see what I might be looking at. I'll have him give it a once over when I bring it back.

The guy who owns the store is a friend of a friend and a really cool guy. I'm sure he'd teach me anything I wanted to know about tuneups and fixing the bike. Plus he's the type of guy to say "bring it in if you ever get stuck and I'll take a look" and then not charge anything. My latest problem is that I need to figure out how to get the bike over there since it won't fit in my little car :eek:

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
That's awesome. I have a bike mechanic that gets me out of rough spots and I have never paid a dime of cash to but I keep him stocked on IPA.

A bike would be a good way to get a bike to the bike shop....
Well, in all honesty it ended up being a gift that my parents surprised me with ;) So I still haven't been back to the bike shop since I went to just see what I might be looking at. I'll have him give it a once over when I bring it back.

The guy who owns the store is a friend of a friend and a really cool guy. I'm sure he'd teach me anything I wanted to know about tuneups and fixing the bike. Plus he's the type of guy to say "bring it in if you ever get stuck and I'll take a look" and then not charge anything. My latest problem is that I need to figure out how to get the bike over there since it won't fit in my little car :eek:

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
That's awesome. I have a bike mechanic that gets me out of rough spots and I have never paid a dime of cash to but I keep him stocked on IPA.

A bike would be a good way to get a bike to the bike shop....
A 20 mile (10 one way) ride over hilly terrain might be a little ambitious for me at this point :p I'll have to find out what his favorite spirit is so I come bearing gifts :D

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief

Saris racks are good and they make a rack to fit pretty much any car. I like the Saris bones; had one for years and now my brother is using it.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
A 20 mile (10 one way) ride over hilly terrain might be a little ambitious for me at this point :p I'll have to find out what his favorite spirit is so I come bearing gifts :D
That's a really good excuse to learn to do these adjustments yourself. There is always something needing maintenance or adjustment on a modern bike, especially derailleurs. Adjusting derailleurs is also a bit of an art, like adjusting carburetor mixtures was before measuring air-fuel ratios became cheap.

Hint: don't forget to keep your chain clean and well-lubricated. Dirty chains are lossy at transmitting torque.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Saris racks are good and they make a rack to fit pretty much any car. I like the Saris bones; had one for years and now my brother is using it.
Thanks, just looked up that Saris Bones rack and it'll be perfect. Plus I can almost buy the whole thing with points.

That's a really good excuse to learn to do these adjustments yourself. There is always something needing maintenance or adjustment on a modern bike, especially derailleurs. Adjusting derailleurs is also a bit of an art, like adjusting carburetor mixtures was before measuring air-fuel ratios became cheap.

Hint: don't forget to keep your chain clean and well-lubricated. Dirty chains are lossy at transmitting torque.
Definitely. Plus I'd just prefer to not have to driver over there anytime I need something done. I'd rather learn myself. Although I can definitely see needing some help with the derailleurs and other little things about this bike that a bit complicated for me.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Not to throw a fork in your spoke but I would never use a hatch/trunk mount style rack. Poor bike control and marring of the vehicle are two issues with them. The attachment system will also prevent you from being able to open your trunk or hatch while it is attached

I love platform racks but I have also used my fair share of roof racks.

You will learn basic adjustments pretty quickly, I seem to do a lot of basic derail tune ups while I am on the bike.

Thanks, just looked up that Saris Bones rack and it'll be perfect. Plus I can almost buy the whole thing with points.

Definitely. Plus I'd just prefer to not have to driver over there anytime I need something done. I'd rather learn myself. Although I can definitely see needing some help with the derailleurs and other little things about this bike that a bit complicated for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
I've used all different types of car racks. My favorite is a roof rack but they are relatively expensive and not always the best choice. I like the hatch/trunk mount style as well. The Saris bones is very secure and easy to get on and off. The price is also fairly reasonable. I had no issues with it marring the vehicle either.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Not to throw a fork in your spoke but I would never use a hatch/trunk mount style rack. Poor bike control and marring of the vehicle are two issues with them. The attachment system will also prevent you from being able to open your trunk or hatch while it is attached

I love platform racks but I have also used my fair share of roof racks.
I agree completely. The only reason to go with a trunk rack is that they are cheap.

I put a hidden-hitch on my mustang just for a platform bike rack. That is really the best way to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Dude has 3 zillion dollars worth of speakers and he got a free bike, he can afford a good rack.

I highly recommend 1UP USA and Kuat, the Serpa is a fav of mine but I use 1 UP.

I agree completely. The only reason to go with a trunk rack is that they are cheap.

I put a hidden-hitch on my mustang just for a platform bike rack. That is really the best way to go.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Dude has 3 zillion dollars worth of speakers and he got a free bike, he can afford a good rack.

I highly recommend 1UP USA and Kuat, the Serpa is a fav of mine but I use 1 UP.

Well, your bikes are nicer than mine, and your rack is too. Of course, I have a few trails and places to ride within riding distance of my house, so I don't often even need a rack, only if I wanna go ride across town or out of town.

My rack is pretty much this one, but a different brand. Of course, add about $150 for the hitch (+ labor if you can't install it yourself).
http://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Cross-Country-2-Bike-2-Inch-Receiver/dp/B0001VO1YY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395159580&sr=8-2&keywords=platform+bike+rack

Are you around Houston area? I bet you gotta remove the rack and stash it in your car when you get to the riding spot?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'll back pocket that 1up hitch rack. I have no problem spending the money on the rack or the hitch, it's just not worth it with the cars either of us have right now. We've already decided that we're going to ditch the cars we have as soon as we can (after getting full time jobs). So I'll go to the hitch style, probably the 1up, when that happens. For now the trunk rack is affordable and will make the most sense for the time being. I figure we'll probably leave it on one car for the summer and just use the other car if we need to make use of the trunk. Especially since my coupe rarely gets used when we need extra space for stuff anyways.

Excuse me while I go measure out the space for the two newest speaker additions which should be here in a month and when I finish building it, respectively :D

3.27 zillion to be exact :p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis