First Real Bike Thoughts

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
So I've been looking into a few bikes, checking craigslist, eBay and local classifieds. A friend of mine sent me to a local bike shop and that guy recommended a 2013 Kona Jake. This would mostly be used on road, albeit on fairly sh!tty roads, and on rail trails (gravel). I wouldn't be going too far off road with it and definitely nothing that would qualify as mountain biking. I was just wondering what some of the bike gurus around here thought of that suggestion. If that's all good I'll probably have more questions about helmets, pedals, and other crap that's sure to become a vast gaping money pit ;)

Thanks all.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
That's dang near the perfect bike for what you are wanting to do. It has the perfect size wheels/tires, an awesome component group and Kona is a great company.

Congrats, you hit a home run on your first pitch and I never see that happen. Spend some money having it properly fit.

A perfect gravel-grinder

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I have a Trek Singletrack 820: http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/sport/820/820/#/us/en/model/features?url=us/en/bikes/mountain/sport/820/820 , which I got on CL I think for $150 used about 4 years ago. It was the one of the only things that survived. I like Trek. My previous Trek was stolen.:( It's cheap and works nicely for me. Bikemig I'm sure will chime in.

My helmet was ruined, so I need a replacement. I had this one, which I will rebuy it one day: Amazon.com: Bell Faction Bike Helmet (Matte Black, Medium): Sports & Outdoors

Last edited by a moderator:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
That's dang near the perfect bike for what you are wanting to do. It has the perfect size wheels/tires, an awesome component group and Kona is a great company.

Congrats, you hit a home run on your first pitch and I never see that happen. Spend some money having it properly fit.

A perfect gravel-grinder
Thanks, I felt pretty good going and talking to this guy since my friend is a hard core biker (mountain, cyclocross, and road) and the guys who I talked to owns the shop and is his really good friend. I just wanted to double check.

So I'm guessing based on that second to last line that him fitting it for me for free is a good deal? Since its a 2013 it's already 20% off and he's gonna get me totally set up if and when I buy it.

Another question, how much of a benefit are clip ins? And how much would that run me approximately?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I have a Trek Singletrack 820: http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/sport/820/820/#/us/en/model/features?url=us/en/bikes/mountain/sport/820/820 , which I got on CL I think for $150 used about 4 years ago. It was the one of the only things that survived. I like Trek. My previous Trek was stolen.:( It's cheap and works nicely for me. Bikemig I'm sure will chime in.

My helmet was ruined, so I need a replacement. I had this one, which I will rebuy it one day: Amazon.com: Bell Faction Bike Helmet (Matte Black, Medium): Sports & Outdoors
One of the biggest issues for me is how damn short I am so almost all the CL and eBay bikes are wayyy too big for me. I keep looking but I'm having trouble finding anything less than 52cm for a reasonable price and anything my size is about the same or more than if u was buying from this guy. After talking to him, if I'm dropping that kind of coin imma go to him because he'll hook me up so it fits me perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks, I felt pretty good going and talking to this guy since my friend is a hard core biker (mountain, cyclocross, and road) and the guys who I talked to owns the shop and is his really good friend. I just wanted to double check.

So I'm guessing based on that second to last line that him fitting it for me for free is a good deal? Since its a 2013 it's already 20% off and he's gonna get me totally set up if and when I buy it.

Another question, how much of a benefit are clip ins? And how much would that run me approximately?
Kona does make some pretty good bikes (as does Trek, Giant, etc). Personally, I'm a Specialized fanboy (and I'm not admitting to be a fanboy for many things!), so I'm always biased to Specialized (as are many, many other bikers).

But, I'm also more of the true-mountain biker, so I would trust PD's rec on this Kona over my opinions for which bike to get.

Yup, you usually gotta pay (depending on the shop maybe $50 or more) for a bike fitting, so that is hard to pass up if he will do it for free. BTW, in my book, free is always a good deal :D

About the "clip ins"..... I use Shimano SPDs. Technically, I think these are "clipless", but I dunno if that is marketing because it seems to me that I "clip in" when I use them. The Shimano SPD is pretty ubiquitous in mountain biking, there is probably better (and more $) on the market, but I've only used SPDs. Depends, but for that, you need the pedals and the shoes. New, you're probably looking at the $150 range and on up (maybe a little less if you look around enough). I bought mine "used" on Ebay for silly-cheap (it's been too long to remember how much I paid), but they were pretty much new. I'm sure someone bought them, tried them, and didn't like them, I put more wear on them by my 2nd ride than they had on them when I got them.

Now, the big advantage of the clips is that you can now push AND pull with each leg. It gives you more powa and more efficiency. It does take just a little time to get used to it, but now that I'm used to it, it feels funny when I ride my other bikes without the clips. If mostly riding on pavement and flat areas, then you won't get the most out of the clips. If riding on hills, mountains, gravel, then you will definitely appreciate the clips.

Also, I rec a cheapy pair of gloves (you can go expensive, but I just don't see putting the $ there) and a Camelbak. And the helmet.....don't skimp out on that, and wear it! That is certainly not a place to try to save a buck!

G

gholt

Full Audioholic
Make sure your helmet is one of the newer generations. Been reading an article in outside mag about helmets. Some of the newer tech help to lessen concussions. I'm looking at the smith optics one. But poc is good and I can't think if others. Gloves I use dirt paws (fox). Fairly cheap and gives good grip.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

G

gholt

Full Audioholic
I don't like the clips for trail ridding. Buy for what you're doing it should work well. I use an older bontrager re1. If you can find them they are pretty cheap on fleabay.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I have a Jamis, its a decent bike... price was good too..
They look nice. I don't think the guy I went to carries those, although the bike shop next town over might have them. The prices look a little better on the Jamis Cyclocross bikes, but the Kona is entry level Kona is carrying a few more upper end features on the entry level bike.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Yes a free anything is good. I true fitting takes 2 hours and cost $350 or more.

I wouldn't ride a road, mountain or cyclocross bike without being clipped in. I love the power and security even if it gets really technical on the trail.

I broke 3 pair of XTR SPD's 2 years ago year, freaking $275 pedals. All my buddies and I switched to the Forte Carve from Performance and they are bullet proof, lighter than XTR and $35. If you don't have a Performance, you can order online.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I clip in for mtn, some people say that you can't be ready for anything clipped in, but once you get used to that little twist to release, it happens with out thinking...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
If you lived here, I'd give you my mountain bike. I haven't used it in years.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Yes a free anything is good. I true fitting takes 2 hours and cost $350 or more.

I wouldn't ride a road, mountain or cyclocross bike without being clipped in. I love the power and security even if it gets really technical on the trail.

I broke 3 pair of XTR SPD's 2 years ago year, freaking $275 pedals. All my buddies and I switched to the Forte Carve from Performance and they are bullet proof, lighter than XTR and $35. If you don't have a Performance, you can order online.
I don't see the carve on performance bike.com. Thoughts on these two?

Shimano PD-M520 SPD MTB Pedals - Bike Pedals / Cleats

Forté Contact MTB Pedals - Bike Pedals / Cleats

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
Nope, just trying to get rid of a spare tire though :D
Trying to get rid of your spare tire or weight from your wallet?

Sorry but I never understood first bike owners getting such an expensive bike for just a workout. A level of quality is good providing you keep on using it but many I've seen don't and it just collects dust in a year or two. Having said that, Kona does make a good bike, I've had mine for about 10 years now with lots of miles on it and zero problems. Mine is a mtn bike with on/off road tires (basically road tread in the middle with off road tread on the sides) that's used 95% on road with the occasional trail ride. Spent many summer nights zipping around the city doing 30-70km rides and it provides a good workout.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Trying to get rid of your spare tire or weight from your wallet?

Sorry but I never understood first bike owners getting such an expensive bike for just a workout. A level of quality is good providing you keep on using it but many I've seen don't and it just collects dust in a year or two. Having said that, Kona does make a good bike, I've had mine for about 10 years now with lots of miles on it and zero problems. Mine is a mtn bike with on/off road tires (basically road tread in the middle with off road tread on the sides) that's used 95% on road with the occasional trail ride. Spent many summer nights zipping around the city doing 30-70km rides and it provides a good workout.
Well it's the first "real" bike I've owned in the sense that I'll be getting it fitted, getting it new, and have actually sought advice on what I should be getting based on the type of riding I do. I've owned a few Trek MTB's over the years, almost always bought used. Since I was away at college I hadn't bothered with a bike, but now that I'm not back and forth anymore I've been getting the urge to bike again and I'm sick of using my GF's Dad's, which is too big for me.

It'll be for exercise and for general fun. There are a ton of rail trails and good spots to ride around me so I think it'll be getting a fair amount of use. As an exercise bike I'll probably be on it 5 days a week, weather permitting.

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
Ya, I just wanted to throw it out there that getting a new bike for around half the price would do you just fine, no special bike gear needed. I used to ride with a group from my work many years ago (actually my bike must be older than 10 years now that I think of it, more like 16) and few of them we're on basic mid-level department store bikes, they didn't have any problems over the years either. Also, you'll get more resistance (harder workout) on a mtn bike with off road tires but they do wear out faster on the pavement. In the end, as long as you're happy with your purchase and you're out there riding, it's all good.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Ya, I just wanted to throw it out there that getting a new bike for around half the price would do you just fine, no special bike gear needed. I used to ride with a group from my work many years ago (actually my bike must be older than 10 years now that I think of it, more like 16) and few of them we're on basic mid-level department store bikes, they didn't have any problems over the years either. Also, you'll get more resistance (harder workout) on a mtn bike with off road tires but they do wear out faster on the pavement. In the end, as long as you're happy with your purchase and you're out there riding, it's all good.
No I hear ya. Believe me, I didn't go into this with a budget of a grand, and I'm still kind of hemming and hawing over whether or not I'm going to actually buy the thing. I guess it'll largely depend on what the next few paychecks look like and if the bike shop still has the size I need when I've got the cash together. If he sells out of the 2013's in my size and I'd have no choice but to go with a 2014, then I'll probably cheap out and get something that'll make P-dawg cringe :p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis