First post, first sub.

Strats4me

Strats4me

Audiophyte
Our kids bought us a 70” screen for Christmas. Yeah! So we got a unit with shelving and filled it with my meager stereo gear which includes a Rotel RA-1062 and B&W 685’s and am using it for both A&V. Now I want some beef and want to add a solid sub. Looking at the SVS SB2000 Pro. Room is 15x22. Good fit? Overkill? Thanks in advance.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good sub. The Rotel is not much use for sub integration, tho the dsp on the SVS would help integrate it. The B&W 685s can definitely benefit from subs for any use, tho.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would go for the PB-2000 Pro or PC-2000 Pro instead. The SB-2000 Pro is a fine sub for something that is small, but if you can handle a larger sub, you get a lot more deep bass.

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
Our kids bought us a 70” screen for Christmas. Yeah! So we got a unit with shelving and filled it with my meager stereo gear which includes a Rotel RA-1062 and B&W 685’s and am using it for both A&V. Now I want some beef and want to add a solid sub. Looking at the SVS SB2000 Pro. Room is 15x22. Good fit? Overkill? Thanks in advance.
HSU VTF15H-MK2.

Power Sound Audio TV1512

Rythmik FV15HP

Strats4me

Strats4me

Audiophyte
Good sub. The Rotel is not much use for sub integration, tho the dsp on the SVS would help integrate it. The B&W 685s can definitely benefit from subs for any use, tho.
Yeah I’m new to all of this, so I would have to set the SVS to 50hz or so, where the 685’s drop off. So the sub would only be handling the 20-50hz range. I take it this is not the best way to use a sub? It would be more efficient to use the sub for a larger operating range and take some of the lower freq burden off of the mains, so for now I won’t get the full effect of a sub until I get something with a sub out?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You may get decent enough results with setting them up that way, or playing around with the range of overlap with the speakers to taste. It wouldn't be a brick wall at a low pass filter setting of 50hz, the sub will still have some output above that. I see in the manual you do have choices of slope for how fast/slow it rolls off. I see an f6 of 42hz for your speakers so that might be a good starting point altho SVS' tool for the SB2000Pro they call Merlin suggests 60hz with a 12dB slope on the low pass filter.

It's more that's your only choice rather than better bass management available in some gear (and just having a sub pre-out doesn't mean it has bass management, particularly in 2ch gear). My preference is to have more bass management options rather than fewer....and you can always add a unit to provide some dsp (like a miniDSP unit).

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Welcome to AH! check out Genes sub threads in Forums tons of great info!
image.jpg

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah I’m new to all of this, so I would have to set the SVS to 50hz or so, where the 685’s drop off. So the sub would only be handling the 20-50hz range. I take it this is not the best way to use a sub? It would be more efficient to use the sub for a larger operating range and take some of the lower freq burden off of the mains, so for now I won’t get the full effect of a sub until I get something with a sub out?
Crossover settings isn't a wall, but it's a more of gradual fall-off. Looking at 685 measurements, I'd definitely not crossover it with the sub at 50hz, but much higher at 90 or 100hz
Room 15x22 ? I assume it's in feet? What's the height? Is it open to other spaces/rooms? If so - what's the total room volume in cubic feet?
Assuming room is sealed (by walls/door) and you have 9ft ceiling height - that results in 3k cu-ft volume and according to our own Room size ratings, that falls at Large Room.
Tom Andry (one of AH founders and a contributing author tested SB and PB2000 subs (older models) and SB2000 was recommended up to medium rooms, where more output pb2000 is ok for large rooms.
If you don't mind waiting VTF-3 MK5 HP sub is what I'd go with.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Crossover settings isn't a wall, but it's a more of gradual fall-off. Looking at 685 measurements, I'd definitely not crossover it with the sub at 50hz, but much higher at 90 or 100hz
Room 15x22 ? I assume it's in feet? What's the height? Is it open to other spaces/rooms? If so - what's the total room volume in cubic feet?
Assuming room is sealed (by walls/door) and you have 9ft ceiling height - that results in 3k cu-ft volume and according to our own Room size ratings, that falls at Large Room.
Tom Andry (one of AH founders and a contributing author tested SB and PB2000 subs (older models) and SB2000 was recommended up to medium rooms, where more output pb2000 is ok for large rooms.
What crossover does he have to use, tho? Only a LPF in the sub afaict.

Strats4me

Strats4me

Audiophyte
Thanks, yes 15x22’ with 8’ ceiling. My wife is already complaining and I don’t even have it yet, lol. Size is also important. This is our fam room, so really don’t want to go bigger.

Strats4me

Strats4me

Audiophyte
Correct, I’ll have a half-ass setup with no management other than selecting the range of the sub, until I get something better than my Rotel.

JackstrawfromWichita

JackstrawfromWichita

Enthusiast
Thanks, yes 15x22’ with 8’ ceiling. My wife is already complaining and I don’t even have it yet, lol. Size is also important. This is our fam room, so really don’t want to go bigger.
I can positively say yes to the SB 2000Pro! Like you, my HT/Music system is in the family room so finding something sealed and one the smaller side was needed. Bought one, and added a second last week.
There are many on the SVS Outlet so you can save some $$$ there as well!

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
good sub, enjoy!

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
You could try make a cardbox mockup of the subwoofer just to get a feel how it will appear in your room. People very quickly get used to whatever is placed in the room, unless it is egregious.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If the size is important then check out the small (on wallet impact) but mighty THT sub design
Barely could even notice it:

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Valid point. IMHO Home theater without surround Pre-Pro or a multichannel A/V receiver (ie AVR) is less than ideal. Most modern A/V devices don't even offer analog out anymore.

Strats4me

Strats4me

Audiophyte
Thanks all. I’m going for the SB2000 Pro and will see where that leads me. I was actually able to listen to one along with some 685’s at Best Buy, and I really liked what I heard. Now that I know that I don’t have the right amp/management, at least I know what to work towards.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks all. I’m going for the SB2000 Pro and will see where that leads me. I was actually able to listen to one along with some 685’s at Best Buy, and I really liked what I heard. Now that I know that I don’t have the right amp/management, at least I know what to work towards.
Good news is that SVS’s upgrade program is awesome. I have experience with an sb2k. IMO it would be nice in my bedroom. I added it to a pair of pb12 pluses, AND tried it solo. Poor thing inchwormed across my floor. Personally I think your room is too big for the SB2k, but curious to see how it works for you.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Good news is that SVS’s upgrade program is awesome. I have experience with an sb2k. IMO it would be nice in my bedroom. I added it to a pair of pb12 pluses, AND tried it solo. Poor thing inchwormed across my floor. Personally I think your room is too big for the SB2k, but curious to see how it works for you.
Agree. I'd want the PB or PC2K Pro. I have a feeling he's going to find the SB2K lacking.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis