Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
Dear all,

I thought it might be interesting to see what the first CD you ever bought was - if you can remember, that is - and if there's any story that accompanies it.

My first CD was the motion picture soundtrack to Flashdance (even though I hadn't yet seen the film). :D

I have to admit that there's not much of a story accompanying buying it, but I do remember looking again and again at the disc and being amazed by the technology that was able to create such a fantastically minute track, and by the play of colours that was, it seemed to me, inherently right as a (unforseen?) by-product of the manufacturing process; a feeling that has never faded with time even though we can so easily surpass CD technology nowadays.

J

jake5717

Audioholic
Dr. Dre The Chronic

Had to take my mom with me cuz I was only 10. The Parents didn't really care for it, but I loved it........still do.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
First:
Ren & Stimpy: You Eediot!

Second:
Metallica: Master of Puppets

I think that pretty much says it all about me.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
My first CD ever was Metallica - The Black Album.

I bought the CD when I heard the album on cassette, back in India, and decided that Metallica was the best band ever. It caused my change in music taste from Pop to Rock and Metal. I started listening to Iron Maiden, GnR, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Slayer, Megadeth, etc. much to the chagrin of my parents...

The story behind the CD is that I had it for a year and a half before I got a player for it :eek: and played it for the first time. I bought the CD at a small music shop in a upscale/ posh neighbourhood and had to save six months of pocket money to buy it.

The player was a Sony Discman and I had that for about a year before anyone else in my friend circle got a CD player. Thanks to my Dad's job, which involved a lot of foreign travel, I had access to technology way ahead of the standard in India.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
First CD was Heart "Little Queen" second CD was Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" I still have both discs in good condition (not the best, but very playable).

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Bach Busters by Don Dorsey on Telarc.

Kind of a Walter/Wendy Carlos wannabe but still interesting in his own right.

I bought it at a garage sale in the mid 80's that my first wife dragged me to even before I had a CD player. Now that I had a CD, I needed something to play it on, right? Within a month we had a CD player.

Shortly afterwards she stopped dragging me to garage sales.

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
My first CD was Dire Straits' Bothers In Arms. Also have the LP and SACD. The SACD is amazing in surround, still one of my all-time favorites.

race4aliving

race4aliving

Audioholic
First record - Rolling Stones " Big Hits " [ High Tide and Green Grass ] 1967

First 8 track - Black Sabath " Master Of Reality " 1971

First CD- Flim & The BB's "Tricycle "

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
My first CDs I won - along with a CD player - as a radio contest give-away. I was the 101st (yes, 101st!) caller to win a CD player and the complete Dire Straits catalog on CD. Pretty sweet. This was circa 1985-ish, I believe.

I think the first CD I bought myself...I'm guessing Rush, Signals. Certainly it was one of the first.

C

caupina

Full Audioholic
My first CD was George Michael's "Faith" in 1991 and it was by the time when I bought my first stereo equipment, a Kenwood, it had Tuner, EQ, cassette player/recorder and a couple of speakers. I was blown away by the sound. I still have the same CD in pristine condition.

W

wicked

Audioholic Intern
first cd i ever got was. dont laugh. depetch mode violator. i used to love that kind of music. i guess cause i lost my virginity to this album. looking back now, that was kind of gay on my part.

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
First one I bought was bought for $17.95, the day I bought my player, it was Led Zeppelin IV, AKA ZOSO, and it sounded HORRIBLE. I knew it wasn't the player, since the sampler disc sounded great. I traded a bunch of old CDs for a radio later on, and the first one was in that bunch. I basically traded a bunch of samplers and a few nasty sounding CDs for a nice police scanner. :D

The replacement copy, a totally different pressing, sounded fine.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Allana Miles' Black Velvet, cause my girlfriend at the time loved the song of the same name. Can't find it now, maybe she thought it was a gift (not).

We broke up for religious reasons!

I didn't treat her like God

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
The first disc I remember owning was Toto IV. It's hard to say if it was the first CD I owned. I had a small but growing collection until my house was broken into in the late '80's and they took my CD player and discs. For the life of me, I couldn't remember all the discs that were in the collection or which was the first.

The moron thieves left my Bryston 4B which was worth more than everything else put together, kind of hard to fence though.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Allana Miles' Black Velvet, cause my girlfriend at the time loved the song of the same name. Can't find it now, maybe she thought it was a gift (not).

We broke up for religious reasons!

I didn't treat her like God
Ain't that the truth brother (with some of 'em)?

I think Depeche Mode was my first cd.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Steely Dan - aja
I had the LP and wanted to compare it to the CD.
Got it in 1988 along with a new Kenwood CD player DP-880 (which I still have, and use in a spare room) also got my first bachelor pad.
;)

mikeyj92

mikeyj92

Full Audioholic
First CD: Led Zeppelin In Through The Out Door...I just loved Fool In The Rain at that time...still do love that song.

Second was G'n'R's Appetite for Destruction.

My first CD player was a "hand me down" from my older sister (sorry, I can picture it, but I can't remember the make or model). It was broken. The tray wouldn't open. I took the whole thing apart and replace the rubber belt that had snapped with a dental band (iirc) and it worked like a charm for the next 4 years until I got my first multi-disc CD player.

LOL. Good times.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis