Finally ran Audyssey with app. [emoji848]

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
SVS wants you to start calibration at -15 ypao set my levels at 0 no room to play but hey they sounded good both were set 2.5 feet farther than there actual distance but that’s normal Actual is 14 feet . After playing around again several times I set the gain on the subs at -7 gain and the avr set them both at -6 which give ample room to raise if I needed I ended up running them at -3.5 in the avr level adjustment and can go up more for music if needed but for movies and Blu-ray concerts -3.5 is just right .

I run these in stereo when calibration is being done mainly for ease of tweaking each one then I switch to mono once they are level matched in the avr which is a step Iam not really needed to do because the avr sets these so close anyhow but it works .
This probably not much help but I’d raise the gain up in the app and rerun the auto setup .

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Would be beneficial to get a Y splitter and run both subs off the same sub out on the X3400H? Would that make things easier and get better results?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Would be beneficial to get a Y splitter and run both subs off the same sub out on the X3400H? Would that make things easier and get better results?

No, absolutely not. You want to use both for separate levels and delay. Probably not a huge factor if you have both up front but would still make a difference. Even moreso if they were co-located.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General

Iam not sure of that Iam useing a Yamaha it has left and right outputs that’s the way mines is setup . But to be honest I’ve ran them either way left/right and both mono there is no diseranable difference in output either way .

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
@Pogre is absolutely correct you want the ability to set them each alone and your avr is more than capable of that .

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If the subs are equidistant from your MLP then the dual sub feature of the avr to separately adjust delay/level isn't going to do much for you.....what am I missing?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Ok boys, reran Audyssey through the app and all is good. I must have messed something up first time using the app. Levels are normal, set the subs both at 18 feet which is what I'm used to seeing. I had to go the normal adjustments of course, crossover, turn up subs. It set the subs to -8 which is normal, not +3. I bumped them to -3 of course.
I turned off midrange compensation, and limited the frequency to 400 hz. Oh I did all the Audyssey positions the correct way too. So I'm happy now. Thanks for the help guys.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why do you arbitrarily change delay like that? I'd use the level as a baseline and adjust for taste from there, like you have by bumping up the trim level 5dB (which personally I find a bit much). Glad you got it sorted, tho.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Delay? I don't think I touched the delay. The sub level was -8 and I bumped it up to -3. Just like I bumped up the center channel level 2. This sounds great now though.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Delay? I don't think I touched the delay. The sub level was -8 and I bumped it up to -3. Just like I bumped up the center channel level 2. This sounds great now though.

Delay is called distance in avrs generally, i.e. delay expressed in distance terminology....sound travels approx 1.1 ft in one millisecond.

ps Due inherent dsp delay in some subs, it doesn't always match physical distance.

Last edited:
H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Delay is called distance in avrs generally, i.e. delay expressed in distance terminology....sound travels approx 1.1 ft in one millisecond.

ps Due inherent dsp delay in some subs, it doesn't always match physical distance.
I didn't mess with the distance, I messed with the levels. The distance is still 18 or whatever it was set at for the subs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't mess with the distance, I messed with the levels. The distance is still 18 or whatever it was set at for the subs.

Ah, sorry, was apparently thinking of the previous post, reread your last post....

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Ah, sorry, was apparently thinking of the previous post, reread your last post....
Yeah I was probably typing fast because I was happy the second try went well. I probably wrote something dumb. :D Yeah distances I didn't touch, just levels, subs boost, center boost just a tad. I'm liking what I hear though. Thanks for the help, sorry for the misunderstanding or whatever dumb thing I wrote.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah I was probably typing fast because I was happy the second try went well. I probably wrote something dumb. :D Yeah distances I didn't touch, just levels, subs boost, center boost just a tad. I'm liking what I hear though. Thanks for the help, sorry for the misunderstanding or whatever dumb thing I wrote.
Sometimes you just need to run Audyssey again to make sure something didn't get in the way, but for drastically differing delays like you got initially for fairly similar subs, that was a sign something was off in the measuring routine....

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Oh hell yeah, I'm really, really enjoying the sound of this home theater since running Audyssey through the app right. Sounds freaking amazing. It's actually astounding what you can do with not a lot of money just setting things up right, taking time to set things up right. I should next do just a little room treatments, maybe just a few panels on the back wall. I'm just enjoying the hell out of this now though. I still want to want to upgrade to CG5s sometime in the future but this does sound awesome, very happy.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok boys, reran Audyssey through the app and all is good. I must have messed something up first time using the app. Levels are normal, set the subs both at 18 feet which is what I'm used to seeing. I had to go the normal adjustments of course, crossover, turn up subs. It set the subs to -8 which is normal, not +3. I bumped them to -3 of course.
I turned off midrange compensation, and limited the frequency to 400 hz. Oh I did all the Audyssey positions the correct way too. So I'm happy now. Thanks for the help guys.

Good to know you seem to be getting good results with the $20 App. As always, following instructions to the letter is typically the best bet. It is also important to do it when you know the room will be quiet for the whole duration. Any sudden audible background noise such as a helicopter flying low will likely mess up the level.:D It is also almost always better to leave the level settings and distance alone after running Audyssey, the mic is calibrated specifically for the job, you sound level meter likely won't have comparable accuracies for the purpose for various reasons. Also, as HD already explained, for active subwoofers, you can't good by the physical distance, Audyssey measured the delays so should be more accurate in most cases.

Bumping up the sub level for a few dB is a quick fix, but for better accuracy you can also customize the target curve easily so that it has a smoother curve tilting up to the left, such as the so called Harman's curve.

The notorious (to many people but some have no issues with it) flat curve is the main reason many Audyssey people prefer to turn it off altogether.

Dirac LIve and Anthem ARC seem to have their default curve more like "Harman's", Audyssey is still sticking to the "flat curve" that most don't prefer and the so called untrained listeners hate (remember ADTG, who would only use Audyssey with DEQ on when he was a Denon guy before he got converted..:D.

Below is from one of Dr. Toole's papers:
Subjectively preferred steady-state room curve targets in a typical... | Download Scientific Diagram (researchgate.net)

1631626409917.png

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It is also important to do it when you know the room will be quiet for the whole duration. Any sudden audible background noise such as a helicopter flying low will likely mess up the level.:D
Just a li'l anecdote to tie in with this, we have one of those stupid bird clocks (my wife loves it) that goes off every hour, on the hour with a different bird song. It has a light sensor on it and the brighter the room is the louder the song. That stupid clock has caused me to have to start over so many times... if it goes off during a measurement it throws the levels off completely. Or a barking dog, or somebody coming in the door unexpectedly. It only takes 1 instance to throw it all off. One time my dog barking resulted in the levels getting bumped by 3 to 5 dB for every consecutive measurement.

I've tried just re-doing the position it happened with but it doesn't work. If something like that happens you pretty much have to toss everything and start over from position 1.

Last edited:
H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Just a li'l anecdote to tie in with this, we have one of those stupid bird clocks (my wife loves it) that goes off every hour, on the hour with a different bird song. It has a light sensor on it and the brighter the room is the louder the song. That stupid clock has caused me to have to start over so many times... if it goes off during a measurement it throws the levels off completely. Or a barking dog, or somebody coming in the door unexpectedly. It only takes 1 instance to throw it all off. One time my dog barking resulted in the levels getting bumped by 3 to 5 dB for every consecutive measurement.

I've tried just re-doing the position it happened with but it doesn't work. If something like that happens you pretty much have to toss everything and start over from position 1.
Yeah, the washing machine was on upstairs, pretty far away, but I could hear it. There was a bird chirping just outside the house too. The fridge 2 rooms over was on for a bit too. The second time, later in the day, none of that was going on. Was that it, who knows?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, the washing machine was on upstairs, pretty far away, but I could hear it. There was a bird chirping just outside the house too. The fridge 2 rooms over was on for a bit too. The second time, later in the day, none of that was going on. Was that it, who knows?

Maybe. The quieter the better for sure, but if it's hot and my ac is running or the fridge is running it doesn't seem to affect the results too much. Sudden loud noises or sounds during the tone bursts like the aforementioned bird clock or dog bark throws it completely off ime tho.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis