Finally ran Audyssey with app. [emoji848]

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Well I finally ran Audyssey through the app and it sounds good but the bass is all screwed up. It first measures the subs and tell you to turn up or down to what they want. The first sub wouldn't budge or did nothing, that was the PB1000 which I had to mess around with on the back. The second sub, PB 2000 Pro I had to turn it down to what they wanted and because I was in the app I had to mess around with the back when I never do that, I use the app. If I were running Audyssey through the Denon I would use the app to get the bass where they want.
Anyway after all measurements they had the PB 1000 1.1 feet away which it is not, the PB 2000 Pro was 17.1 feet away which is right. Something got all messed up and the bass sounds awful. I don't know how to fix it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The Subs should be reset to their neutral settings: no phase adjustments, LPF set to max or off; thus making the Gain on the Sub the only thing being adjusted. Any other Sub based Setup routines should be reset prior to running Audyssey.
The distance is a delay setting which accounts for all processing that takes place in different signal lines. Usually Subs with DSP processing will always have delays and will thus be detected at a distance further away than they physically are.

Unfortunately, I do not use SVS Subs, so I cannot be much more help than these basic adjustments. As an Aud App user, my experience is the opposite: that I often find the bass too elevated and have been known to turn my Subs down after the fact.
Again, every room and situation is different.

That said, the last variable is in the measurements themselves. Did you do all 8 positions and follow all instructions? (This is usually the wild card, having the biggest effect on the final result.)

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Let me elaborate a bit, Audyssey from the Denon usually sets the subs at -6/-7 which is way too low so I raised it to -3. The app set the subs at +3 which seems dangerous actually. I put it back to -3. The distance was wrong on the first sub, 1.1, Audyssey from Denon sets it at 17 feet or so.
The first sub, PB 1000 wouldn't move, you are supposed to move the icon so it's in the green zone on the screen, but it just sat there no matter what I did. I just think that first setting messed things up.
The speakers sound amazing though, mid range compensation off, and the frequency range to 400 on the dot.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
The Subs should be reset to their neutral settings: no phase adjustments, LPF set to max or off; thus making the Gain on the Sub the only thing being adjusted. Any other Sub based Setup routines should be reset prior to running Audyssey.
The distance is a delay setting which accounts for all processing that takes place in different signal lines. Usually Subs with DSP processing will always have delays and will thus be detected at a distance further away than they physically are.

Unfortunately, I do not use SVS Subs, so I cannot be much more help than these basic adjustments. As an Aud App user, my experience is the opposite: that I often find the bass too elevated and have been known to turn my Subs down after the fact.
Again, every room and situation is different.

That said, the last variable is in the measurements themselves. Did you do all 8 positions and follow all instructions? (This is usually the wild card, having the biggest effect on the final result.)
Well yeah that's the other thing with the positions. I did not do what I usually do which is follow the instructions exact because I watched the home theater guru video on running this app. He does not follow each position exact. I kinda followed what he did. I don't think that made a huge difference though.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Only have two seconds but…also het, making level adjustments via the app will only be lost calibration. Setting the levels to run audyssey will be on the sub/svs app.
If I glossed over, apologies.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Let me elaborate a bit, Audyssey from the Denon usually sets the subs at -6/-7 which is way too low so I raised it to -3. The app set the subs at +3 which seems dangerous actually. I put it back to -3. The distance was wrong on the first sub, 1.1, Audyssey from Denon sets it at 17 feet or so.
The first sub, PB 1000 wouldn't move, you are supposed to move the icon so it's in the green zone on the screen, but it just sat there no matter what I did. I just think that first setting messed things up.
The speakers sound amazing though, mid range compensation off, and the frequency range to 400 on the dot.

I'm having a hard time following you here... is your sub 1.1 feet from you and Audyssey said 17 feet? That makes some sense to allow for any signal processing. It sets my RBH, which is located directly behind me, at 18 feet. The signal is going through a MiniDSP and travels further so it makes sense to me.

If Audyssey is setting your sub level to +3 or higher it sounds to me like you might wanna bump the sub gain on your sub's amp up a little bit. It shouldn't take much. I like to see trim levels around -6 to -8 or -9. Again, just turning the gain up a little bit on the backs of your subs should get you there.

FWIW I got to the "Options" button on my remote after running calibration then "Channel Level Adjust" to bump the trim levels up or down instead of "Levels" in the manual speaker setup. I just prefer it because it's easier to make changes or put them back without messing with the original settings.

Before changing levels try experimenting with DEQ and the different RLO settings. 0 applies the most bass boost and 15 the least. RLO 10 and a +2 dB bump to both subs in the Channel Level Adjust menu works out really well for me.

When you say "it wouldn't move" you lose me. I'm not sure what you're getting at there. Were you adjusting the gain on the back of your sub during setup to get the needle in the green and nothing happened? If so something isn't right. Is your sub getting louder and quieter as you turn the gain knob on the back of it?

*Edited for clarity

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I did not do what I usually do which is follow the instructions exact because I watched the home theater guru video on running this app. He does not follow each position exact. I kinda followed what he did. I don't think that made a huge difference though.

There's a reason many of us deride these videos of "gurus" who had nothing to do with designing and programming the Audyssey system somehow coming up with a better way to do it. If you wanna watch a video of Audyssey stuff, there are a few that they did here on AH, including a more recent one with Grimani.
The kicker is, they don't suggest you make up your own rules. Audyssey, Dirac, probably even YPAO, are all designed to operate at their best within their established protocols.

As always, people are free to do what they want. But trying what some tool on YT suggests and then posting up that the app didn't work to your expectation is bordering on foolish.
You know us, though. And you know many of us have good results using the system as it's meant to be used. That's just at the most basic level, too, and not even accounting for the more advanced tweaks like what you can do with Ratbudyssey, But even there, you have to get a good calibration to start with.

But that's my advice... first and foremost, follow Audyssey's instructions.

If you need to reset your Subs to get them back factory, take notes on their settings so you can return to them later if you wish.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well yeah that's the other thing with the positions. I did not do what I usually do which is follow the instructions exact because I watched the home theater guru video on running this app. He does not follow each position exact. I kinda followed what he did. I don't think that made a huge difference though.

I follow the positions exactly as instructed, in a slightly tighter pattern when I run setup. Don't go listening to the fringe gurus until you get your arms around how to do it right first. Another thing to consider is it might work in his room, but not necessarily yours.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Only have two seconds but…also het, making level adjustments via the app will only be lost calibration. Setting the levels to run audyssey will be on the sub/svs app.
If I glossed over, apologies.
To flesh this out a bit more- once you've run calibration I wouldn't recommend using the SVS app to adjust levels. Do that through the avr in the channel level adjust menu with the option button. Like Bill said, your calibration is pretty much lost if you go changing things on the sub instead of going through your avr.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah I'm gonna rerun it again when I have time and do it in the exact positions as I used to. That though has nothing to do with the subs issue. My subs are on either side of the TV in the front of the room. They are about 6-7 feet apart. Audyssey from the Denon sets them at 17 feet or so. Audyssey app set the PB 2000 Pro 17.1 get and the PB 1000 at 1.1 which of course it's wrong. Audyssey from Denon sets the subs at -6/-7 but app set at +3. I can't raise the subs, because they want it a certain way or level before running Audyssey. You have to put the little icon in the middle of this green zone where is not too low or too high but perfectly where Audyssey wants it.
The first sub agai PB 1000 says to lower to it's directly in the green on the screen, but it would budge, it didn't move as I love the dial on the back of the PB 1000. That's the mess up I think from the start that screwed up everything with the subs. You guys know more that me though.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Het, I think you need to start over and closely follow the instructions in the app. If it wants you to adjust sub levels use the gain knob on the subs until the needle is in the green. I always snudge it up to the high side of green so it's barely in there. That usually gets my trim settings right around where I want. Ryan is right, you need a good, proper, rock solid calibration before you go tackling more advanced stuff.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah I'm gonna rerun it again when I have time and do it in the exact positions as I used to. That though has nothing to do with the subs issue. My subs are on either side of the TV in the front of the room. They are about 6-7 feet apart. Audyssey from the Denon sets them at 17 feet or so. Audyssey app set the PB 2000 Pro 17.1 get and the PB 1000 at 1.1 which of course it's wrong. Audyssey from Denon sets the subs at -6/-7 but app set at +3. I can't raise the subs, because they want it a certain way or level before running Audyssey. You have to put the little icon in the middle of this green zone where is not too low or too high but perfectly where Audyssey wants it.
The first sub agai PB 1000 says to lower to it's directly in the green on the screen, but it would budge, it didn't move as I love the dial on the back of the PB 1000. That's the mess up I think from the start that screwed up everything with the subs. You guys know more that me though.

So it's setting the PB1000 at 1.1 feet and it's much further away?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Other things that may need to happen...
Check to make certain your AVR is fully up to date.
You may need to do a soft reset on the AVR... power down and unplug it for 30 seconds.

I have had some hiccoughs with Aud in the past. Like all applications, it has it's moments. ;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I had an issue with one of the pots on my SB1000 and SVS sent me a replacement amp for it. Sometimes it wouldn't change anything when I turned the knob, but if I wiggled it, it would suddenly kick in louder then go quiet again.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Other things that may need to happen...
Check to make certain your AVR is fully up to date.
You may need to do a soft reset on the AVR... power down and unplug it for 30 seconds.

I have had some hiccoughs with Aud in the past. Like all applications, it has it's moments. ;)
Yeah, I've experienced a few hiccups too. You just gotta take a breath, start over and soldier through.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
So it's setting the PB1000 at 1.1 feet and it's much further away?
Yes, it's much further away. As I said Audyssey on the Denon sets it to 17 feet or so which is right because the other sub is around the same. How this one is 17 feet and the other 1.1 is a mystery. I did change it to 17 to match the other but I think it messed up all the sub settings.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Changing a distance setting in the App or AVR shouldn't affect any of the other levels.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Maybe it's tryna tell you something and wants you to put the PB1000 behind the couch for nearfield... :p
That's entirely different project I don't have the time or patience for right now.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Changing a distance setting in the App or AVR shouldn't affect any of the other levels.
No, just the sub settings. Everything sounds awesome, but I know the subs are off house a tad because of that first mess up. Maybe just because it was the first measurement the first time I tried using the app. That with be my guess. I'll have to wait till te wife and kid are out of the house again, rerun Audyssey again to see what went wrong the first time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis