Finally coming together

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
The center, with 1/12 smoothing. Red is with Audyssey Flat, and the Blue is without from the LP.

What are your listening impressions of the two? I would think "Audyssey Flat" would sound more forward than the other.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
What are your listening impressions of the two? I would think "Audyssey Flat" would sound more forward than the other.
In a way it's semantics, but I would characterize it the other way. I thought without the bump up it sounded recessed since I'm not used to that flat response with the other centers I've had. I've tried the regular Audyssey curve with the old centers, which effectively did something similar to what this one had as it sat and wasn't crazy about it. So I guess I'm one of the few people who like what Audyssey does to my speakers, at least Audyssey flat :D.

To my ears, once I had run Audyssey, it was a night and day difference for the better. I am curious about one thing. This uses those giant Mundorf caps and other premium crossover parts, which the designer told me would take about 2-3 weeks to "break in" and that I shouldn't go crazy with the volume knob until then. I'm wondering if the FR response will change any in that time, if the "break in" is just so I don't fry a capacitor, or if it's all just precautionary/magic dust.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Alright so here are two pics. One of the living room and one of my office. If there's anything you want to see better I can take a pic to show you. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

The living room is 65% done. I still need to buy wire mold or some such stuff to route cable to route cable for the rear channels and the subwoofer. I'm also planning on hanging some bookshelves someday for a zone 2 for the kitchen area.

The office is a mess. Probably 45% done. I need to do a lot of cable routing and I still need to a purchase a few things to even be able to finish putting it together. However, I'm perfectly at home in it as it's 100 times better than what I had before. I'm also extremely happy with the living room, even though it's not perfect.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, in the office, can you zoom in a bit on your AH password please? Thanks.
Not sure why you'd want that. I don't think you can tarnish my rep any more than it already is around here :D

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Looks fantastic. I see the GF touch there as well. MORE PICS! Enjoy life bro and congrats to your new beginnings. Cheers!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Looks fantastic. I see the GF touch there as well. MORE PICS! Enjoy life bro and congrats to your new beginnings. Cheers!
You name it and I'll take a pick of it (maybe I shouldn't say that around here :eek:) Thanks man, yea we're still getting settled and decorating, but things have slowed enough to start to enjoy the place a little bit.

Nice "office".
What's an office without 5 channel surround sound and a projector? :D

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You name it and I'll take a pick of it (maybe I shouldn't say that around here :eek:) Thanks man, yea we're still getting settled and decorating, but things have slowed enough to start to enjoy the place a little bit.

What's an office without 5 channel surround sound and a projector? :D
Fuzz, What're those 2 "pads" under either side of the TV on the living room pic? I can't tell from the pic?

Probably soom "tuning stone pads"?:eek::D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Fuzz, What're those 2 "pads" under either side of the TV on the living room pic? I can't tell from the pic?

Probably soom "tuning stone pads"?:eek::D
On either side of the TV? Those are just the grills for the Phils ;)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Nice place, man. Looks like you two get lots of ambient light in there, which I'm a big fan of.

I probably missed it somewhere else...but did you say what your speaker casualty was from the move?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I noticed that too.
All the subs were left behind.:D
Not too sure about the giant center.
The big center is here and so is one sub :D I get to use the little plinth stand thing as well. I already have some plans to get it up a little higher since it was not meant to sit that low and/or this close to the seating position. There is a 15deg slope to the front baffle to sit on the floor, but I'm pretty sure you're supposed to be sitting about 10-15ft away for that to work.

Nice place, man. Looks like you two get lots of ambient light in there, which I'm a big fan of.

I probably missed it somewhere else...but did you say what your speaker casualty was from the move?
There is a lot of ambient light, which we love. We were joking because there's a ton more ambient light in compared to everywhere else we looked, except one other place which is owned by the same property company that owns this place and is right on the water. So naturally there's about 3 gigantic windows in the huge open concept living/dining area that splashes you with about as much natural light as you can handle without sunglasses.

Couple tweeters poked in. Was worried about damage to what's underneath. E-mailed John and he told me it would be about $70 + shipping to replace them, but he recommended I try to undimple the domes first since the center is a Bessel array and in a Bessel array you ideally want all the drivers matched to within +-1db. I did manage to undimple them with a little vacuum action and they appear to be working. $70 saved.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
The big center is here and so is one sub :D I get to use the little plinth stand thing as well. I already have some plans to get it up a little higher since it was not meant to sit that low and/or this close to the seating position. There is a 15deg slope to the front baffle to sit on the floor, but I'm pretty sure you're supposed to be sitting about 10-15ft away for that to work.

You're going to have to get rid of that.
She said she's wants to put her stair stepper right there.:D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Nice couch bed. Reminds me of mine. :)What is that stuff on that lonely woofer? :)
Yup, frame was only $50. All wood and it's a lounger which I am really liking. Although I'll always be a recliner guy. Maybe becasue I'm short and lounger stuff makes me look like a toddler when I try to get off :D

Well, there's a lamp, tissues, an indoor temp/humidity gauge, and a couple of cup holders. Right now I have each driver facing a seating position which will be fun when I get it hooked up.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis