Final system question

Status
Not open for further replies.
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Sorry I asked what I thought was a relatively simple question as this thread has become nothing more than a virtual pissing match and completely unhelpful.
Every time a question like this gets asked it always turns into a cluster****. You should have just done used the search box and you would have had your answer without all this stuff again. Bottom line is that you don't need a power conditioner and a good brand name power strip should be more than sufficient. If you live in a place with a lot of lightning then consider whole home protection. Nothing will protect you from a direct strike and maybe not even a a very close strike except whole home protection, but it may be completely unnecessary. The only thing you may need is battery backup, but that's only for projectors for the most part.

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
A least informed poster .....
You are repeating yourself over and over. Your posts are copies of what you posted back in 2010 over at AVS. At least you stopped posting garbage there. Now, let's see you do the same here.

With respect for science, then his wacky claims would be supported by numbers.
Obvious lies again. You've been given numbers repeatedly. The fact that you've now started this crap on a different forum doesn't change history.

. That number also says why fire (created by undersized protectors) is not a concern.
Now you're claiming that undersized protectors cause fires. Totally unsupported.

No need to post reality in big red letters.
At least you admit it's reality. And, it matches the chicklets you've gained here. Luckily, everybody gets a heads up from the rating system here.

Cheapshots identify a poster who knows almost nothing about this stuff.
My statements about you, while clearly identifying a poster (you) who knows almost nothing about this stuff, are not cheap shots. They are engineering statements, from an engineer who has been practicing this discipline for about a decade longer than you have been alive. I am paid to do this, and the machines I work on cost 9 figures.

A protector is only as effective as its earth ground.
You keep tossing that lie. It's not working.

Trashing your assertions is childs play. I find this consistent with all teenagers who like to play engineer on the web.

Unfortunately, your teenage ranting is dangerous to others who may listen to you.

jn

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
Sorry I asked what I thought was a relatively simple question as this thread has become nothing more than a virtual pissing match and completely unhelpful.
Your question was already answered. Steve81 provided an excellent guide which you should read. That guide was written by the IEEE for the public, so you can certainly trust the content.

The significant thing for you is the use of a multiport protector at the equipment, a single port would not protect interconnected equipment from a nearby strike. A whole house unit provides a second level of protection, making the system even more robust, but also does not protect interconnected equipment against a nearby strike. So multiport first, whole house second. A single port is ok only if you have one piece of equipment not connected to anything else.

Follow the guide for service entrances, and make sure your external service feed is up to code.

As you can see, there are lots of kids out there who try to present as an expert, with an internet "education" picked up using google.

Laymen can find it difficult sorting out the teenagers using cut and paste from the work of actual engineers.. Luckily, many of these forums provide rating systems for everybody to see. Tons of red chicklets make it obvious what a poster is all about.

jn

Last edited:
W

westom

Audioholic
If you have not earthed a 'whole house' protector, then only effective protection is what exists inside every appliance. Protection inside the appliance makes most surges into only noise. A rare surge that can overwhelm that existing protection is only made irrelevant when connected to earth BEFORE it can enter the building. Once inside, nothing will stop it hunting for earth destructively via appliances. Even the IEEE guide makes this obvious. Citing adjacent protectors only for the other and rarely destructive transient. A 'whole house' solution is needed to even protect 'point of use' (plug-in) protectors.

Professional organizations cite a need for earthing either directly (ie coax cable) or via a 'whole house' protector (ie AC electric, telephone). Ironically a repairman who only posts subjective claims and caustic accusations even admits the 'whole house' solution is required. Protection even from direct lightning strikes is routine when earthing is upgraded; when all incoming utility wires make that low impedance (ie 'less than 10 foot') connection to single point earth ground - your secondary protection. Homeowners are advised to also inspect their primary surge protection layer; as even discussed in a cited case study.

Apparently he used up all his big red letters.

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
Finding one of your posts always delights me. I do enjoy shooting fish in a barrel. Your nonsensical, illogical, erroneous, and completely ignorant rants provide endless entertainment.

Obviously, you missed the red...her ya go.

If you have not earthed a 'whole house' protector, then only effective protection is what exists inside every appliance. Wrong. It means the whole house protector was not installed per the instructions that come with the unit. The protector is supposed to be connected to both lines and the neutral/ground buss. Why such a stupid statement?? Protection inside the appliance makes most surges into only noise. What in the world does that mean??? turns a surge into noise?? Why are you making this up?? A rare surge that can overwhelm that existing protection is only made irrelevant when connected to earth BEFORE it can enter the building. Totally wrong. Earthing the neutral limits the ground float, but does nothing for line to line or line to neutral. Once inside, nothing will stop it hunting for earth destructively via appliances. Here we go again with the bugs bunny/marvin the martian stuff. Surges chasing bugs down the hall, up the stairs, waiting outside the closet marvin is hiding in. Even the IEEE guide makes this obvious. If you even tried to read the guide, you didn't understand it. That hasn't stopped you however. The guide details the levels of protection point of use protectors provide. Citing adjacent protectors only for the other and rarely destructive transient. What in the world are you ranting about now?? The "other rare" transient? You need an education on this stuff so that you can speak intelligently on it..so far, no joy.. A 'whole house' solution is needed to even protect 'point of use' (plug-in) protectors. NOPE. A whole house has a higher clamp limit, which limits the point of use SPD current to the difference in clamp voltages divided by the total line resistance. Ohms law. You need to learn this as well.

Apparently he used up all his big red letters.
Obviously not.

As all can see, every single solitary sentence w-dude made in the first paragraph is nonsense. That happens when a kid knows nothing about a technical topic yet does not allow that lack of knowledge to prevent silly incongruous remarks.

LEAVE THE ENGINEERING TO ENGINEERS!! STOP PRETENDING YOU UNDERSTAND THIS!!!

Enough spanking for today, no dinner for you. I won't bother with the second idiotic paragraph.

jn

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis