Final 5.2.4 HT setup - Suggestions welcome!

D

Divyam

Enthusiast
Hi everyone,

I am planning to build a dedicated HT with a 5.2.4 setup. My room size is 21 ft x 15 ft x 9 ft. I will use the room for movies, music and games (33% each)

Per my research, I have finalized the following:

1) Projector - JVC DLA-NX7 - $8000 approx

2) Screen - 4K 140" (approx) 16:9 Acoustically Transparent Fixed screen on the 15 ft wall (Elite Screens) - $2000 approx

3) Receiver - Marantz SR 7013 - $2100 approx

4) Subwoofers - SVS PB 2000 (2 subwoofers) - $1600 approx

5) Speakers L/C/R - Klipsch THX 8000 L

6) Speakers Surrounds (Two) - Klipsch KS-525-THX SURROUND SPEAKERS

7) Speakers Ceiling (for Atmos)(Four) - THX-5002-L IN-CEILING SPEAKER

Total Speaker cost for 9 speakers - $8000 approx

8) Cabling - Audioquest - $500 approx

I just wanted a sanity check to understand if all these parts work well together. Any suggestions would be welcome. I am open to other brands also, or any other setup style that would fit a 5.2.4 system.

My primary aim is to control cost, I don't have a budget as such but I really do not want to spend unnecessarily also.

I am happy to provide any further details if required. Thanks in advance!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think there are opportunities to reduce cost without reducing performance much in there.

First of all, cabling does not need to cost $500. Absolutely steer clear of Audioquest. Use Bluejeans cables instead.

The Klipsch THX stuff is good, but you can get speakers that are as good without costing as much. The Monoprice THX certified in-wall speakers look very promising for the money, although those won't be out till September. A design I like is the KLH Maxwells, those aren't as expensive as the Klipsch THX speaker and should also be very good. For in-ceiling speakers, I would look at Revel's in-ceilings, and I bet this one would be very good without the cost of the Klipsch THX one. For the side and back surrounds, look at this in-wall from Revel.

For subwoofers, I like the SVS 2000 series, but for the kind of home theater that you are building, I would want something a bit more powerful. I would be looking at the 3000 series at the very least, or the 15" subs from Hsu, or the 13" from Outlaw Audio. They will be a bit more expensive but you don't want to skimp on the subs for a impressive home theater. The 12"s from SVS would be good, but you would want more than 2. The 15"s from Monoprice and Paradigm Defiance are also beastly but a fair bit more expensive.

The Marantz is a nice AVR, but I think you are paying a premium for a low profile unit. I would look into Yamaha or Denon instead for the same price.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Love most of your choices -- especially the projector.

Your room is approximately 2800 cubic feet and you'll need speakers and subs that can fill the space properly and give you decent volume levels. Klipsch is ok as is Monoprice. But you can do better for your money.

Would be super helpful if you could provide a drawing of the space with seating. Hand-drawn is fine.

B

bigkrazy155

Audioholic
@experts ... Would a speaker setup such as this merit an external amp also? Even if just for LCR?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
@experts ... Would a speaker setup such as this merit an external amp also? Even if just for LCR?
Depends on what speakers you’re driving, but not necessarily. Inefficient speakers with loud volumes would most likely benefit, while super efficient speakers, with almost any volume levels should likely be fine. The AVR will matter too, but a denon 4400/4500 shouldn’t have a problem with fairly sensitive speakers.

D

Divyam

Enthusiast
Okay I will use Monoprice/Bluejeans for cabling.
Let me also look at Revel.
Oh I definitely need bigger subs then. Let me look into getting a 13" or a 15"
I had decided on Marantz as I heard it pairs well with Klipsch. Let me have a look into Denon also.

D

Divyam

Enthusiast
Love most of your choices -- especially the projector.

Your room is approximately 2800 cubic feet and you'll need speakers and subs that can fill the space properly and give you decent volume levels. Klipsch is ok as is Monoprice. But you can do better for your money.

Would be super helpful if you could provide a drawing of the space with seating. Hand-drawn is fine.
I have attached the layout as below. The lines in blue are windows and you can ignore the wardrobe, it will be covered by the screen.

WhatsApp Image 2019-05-14 at 2.34.58 PM.jpeg

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
If you want to go with Atmos then you will either need to have floor standing rear surrounds or go with a 5 channel surround system.

Due to the proximity of your seating to the walls, I would recommend bipole surrounds for your side channels.

B

bigkrazy155

Audioholic
Due to the proximity of your seating to the walls, I would recommend bipole surrounds for your side channels.
So bipoles are better when your seats are close to the side wall? Does this hold when you only plan for a single row of seats?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
So bipoles are better when your seats are close to the side wall? Does this hold when you only plan for a single row of seats?
It definitely can. I’m a fan of monopoles personally, but hotspotting is pretty annoying so in small rooms, or with seats at the sides of the room it can be effective using bipoles. However, if you only have one seat, IMO monopoles are still the way to go.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
B

bigkrazy155

Audioholic
Yes. It also holds true when the last row is less than 4-5 feet from the back wall. Hotspotting is super annoying.

We use these:
https://www.triadspeakers.com/products/home-cinema/inwall-home-cinema/iw-bronze4-surround/
https://www.triadspeakers.com/products/home-cinema/onwall/ow-bronze-surround/
Concerning side surrounds, would bipoles still be a good option even if they have to be mounted in line with the row of seats? I assumed, given my limitations, I'd go with monopoles and which ever of my kids sits on the sides would deal with some localization :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Projector - JVC DLA-NX7
You're going to love the JVC.

I installed a NX5 in my HT room about 2 weeks ago. I have never seen a picture quality look this awesome.

Are you wrestling with the NX5 vs NX7 decision at all?

I thought about it a few minutes. :D

I have absolutely no regrets, though.

My rationale for getting the NX5 was that I could use the money I didn't spend on the NX7 toward my next PJ upgrade in a few years when they JVC comes out with a Native-8K PJ. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For cabling on my custom house 2 years ago, I ordered a bunch of in-wall 12G wires from Amazon. I think it was Monoprice, but it could have been any brand.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Concerning side surrounds, would bipoles still be a good option even if they have to be mounted in line with the row of seats? I assumed, given my limitations, I'd go with monopoles and which ever of my kids sits on the sides would deal with some localization :D
Yes, bipoles would still be fine in-line with the row.

D

Divyam

Enthusiast
Thank you for all the inputs. I was thinking of finalizing the products as below for a 7.2.4 setup:

I just wanted to do a sanity check before placing the order. Do let me know if all the components are good.

1) Projector - JVC DLA-NX7

2) Screen - Elite 4K Perforated Screen - SE150WH11-A4k fixed frame 150inch diagonal 16:9

3) Receiver - Anthem MRX 1120

4) Subwoofers - SVS PB 3000 (2 subwoofers)

5) Speakers L/C/R - Procella P6

6) Speakers Surrounds (Four) - Procella P5

7) Speakers Ceiling (for Atmos)(Four) - Paradigm CI HOME H65A Angled In Ceiling Height Speakers

I have the following doubts:

1) The dealer is recommending a Sim2 Domino 4 projector, which he is ready to give for the same price as the JVC. Is that a good option? I have never heard of this brand.

2) For the receiver, if I go for a Marantz 7013 and an Emotiva 2 channel power amp combo, instead of the MRX 1120, I can save around $1,000. But the MRX has Anthem Room Correction which is way better than the Auddessy? Is it worth it?

3) Other option is go for NAD T 777 v3 + 4 channel power amp which will cost me a bit more than the MRX 1120. Now the NAD has Dirac Live which is even better than Anthem Room Correction, I have heard. Is it worth it?

4) For Woofers, will a comparable XTZ be better than the SVS?

5) For speakers LCR, one option is the Klipsch 8000L THX series. I demoed them and found them to be a bit harsher than the Procella's. Should I reconsider or go for the Procella's, since it is also not a very well known brand to me.

6) Finally for the screen, the dealer is recommending Screen Research 149" Diagonal 16:9 Format Screen (ClearPix 4K AT Fabric) (10mm Bezel),but it is at a whopping cost of $4,000! Is that worth it?

Thank you everyone for the help!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis