Feedback requested on converting legacy HT to Sonos (which components to keep, etc.)

J

jirny

Audiophyte
Hello all,

I’m converting most of my home away from Chromecast / Chromecast audio (too unstable), and I’m not certain which (if any) components to keep from my existing HT / Surround system. Most of the time we listen to music in multi-channel stereo.

The room in question is about 900 square feet (20’ wide x 45’ deep) with 20’ cathedral ceilings.

Currently I have a 7.0 system including:

• Denon AVR-X2300W
  • L/R: B&W CM-1 (vintage floorstanding speakers)
  • Center: Definitive Mythos 3
  • Surround L/R and back L/R: Definitive BP2X
My plan is to convert to:

• Sonos Arc (L/C/R)
  • Sonos AMP to power the definitive surrounds
  • Use the sub out to feed a new external sub (thinking Hsu ULS-15 MK2 or SVS Micro 3000).
  • Alternatively, if I were to get rid of the Definitive surrounds I’d add Ikea symfonisk table lamps for L/R surround. This would obviate the need for the Sonos AMP, in which case I’d get a Sonos Sub.
Questions:

• Does this seem like it will be a reasonably effective setup for the intended use, or am I likely to be disappointed? I want to convert to Sonos for simplicity and integration with the rest of our home. I understand the cathedral ceilings may make Atmos useless, though my current TV doesn’t even have e-ARC anyway.
  • If I’m integrating a Sonos AMP for the surrounds, is there any reason at all to use the Sonos sub instead of the Hsu or SVS approach?

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Hello all, . . .
which (if any) components to keep from my existing HT system.
Most of the time we listen to music in multi-channel stereo.

The room in question is about 20’ wide x 45’ deep with 20’ cathedral ceilings.

That is a BIG space (~13k cu ft), which will influence most answers below.
- What is your goal for the room?
(I.E. achieve high SQ, moderate SQ, or background music.)

Currently have a 7.0 system:
  • Denon AVR-X2300W
  • L/R: B&W CM-1 (floorstanding)
  • Center: Definitive Mythos 3
  • Surround L/R and Back L/R: Definitive BP2X
My plan is to convert to:
  • Sonos Arc (L/C/R)
  • Sonos AMP to power DT surrounds
  • Use sub out to feed a new external sub (Hsu ULS-15 MK2 or SVS Micro 3000).
    Alternatively, if I were to get rid of the Definitive surrounds I’d add Ikea symfonisk table lamps for surround. . . in which case I’d get a Sonos Sub.
Questions:

Does this seem like it will be a reasonably effective setup for the intended use, or am I likely to be disappointed?
Likely disappointed
Definitely not for high SQ, probably not for moderate SQ, OK for background music.
It will be a step down from what you have IMHO.
I want to convert to Sonos for simplicity and integration with the rest of our home.
Understandable, but at cost of lower SQ
I understand the cathedral ceilings may make Atmos useless, . . .
True
If I’m integrating a Sonos AMP for the surrounds, is there any reason at all to use the Sonos sub instead of the Hsu or SVS approach?
Neither the Sonos or SVS Micro 3k subs will be effective in your space.
- I would use at least two HSU ULS-15's in a space that large.
Reading between the lines, it appears you are interested in smaller subs (i.e. not ported).
- In a space that large, ported would work better.
Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk[/B]

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
That is a BIG space (~13k cu ft), which will influence most answers below.
- What is your goal for the room?
(I.E. achieve high SQ, moderate SQ, or background music.)

Likely disappointed

Definitely not for high SQ, probably not for moderate SQ, OK for background music.
It will be a step down from what you have IMHO.
Understandable, but at cost of lower SQ

True

Neither the Sonos or SVS Micro 3k subs will be effective in your space.

- I would use at least two HSU ULS-15's in a space that large.
Reading between the lines, it appears you are interested in smaller subs (i.e. not ported).
- In a space that large, ported would work better.
Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk[/B]
The audio from Chromecast is not unstable. I suspect something is wrong. What you propose will be a massive downgrade from what you have, and will not fill that space.

Are you sure the instability is not being caused by the receiver going into shut down? It seems to me your system is seriously underpowered for that space.

Chromecast with stable Wifi and a good router works well. I use it not infrequently in one of my systems and have zero problems with it.

I think before you buy more gear, you need to properly fault find you present system. You can't correct a problem until you precisely identify it, and I'm certain you have not.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Do you like your audio now?
Keep in mind 'vintage' speakers tend to be from the 60's. I'm not sure if these are what you have, but this is what I get when I look for B&W CM1 speakers:

I don't think the Sonos stuff is anything of an upgrade. You have a decent set of speakers and receiver and the rest. Do you have it connected to a TV, or are you just using it for audio listening? Sonos kind of works with a TV, but it's a long way from an AV receiver.

Do you use a universal remote to control things? If not, why?

I would get a Sonos Port and put it on your Denon and call it done. Especially if you are using Sonos elsewhere in your home.

Sonos is a expensive solution to whole house audio and they really don't have any really high end gear. Plus, it can be expensive to get things setup for only decent audio quality.

J

jirny

Audiophyte
The audio from Chromecast is not unstable. I suspect something is wrong. What you propose will be a massive downgrade from what you have, and will not fill that space.

Are you sure the instability is not being caused by the receiver going into shut down? It seems to me your system is seriously underpowered for that space.

Chromecast with stable Wifi and a good router works well. I use it not infrequently in one of my systems and have zero problems with it.

I think before you buy more gear, you need to properly fault find you present system. You can't correct a problem until you precisely identify it, and I'm certain you have not.
I wish you were right. My issue, however, is that my whole home audio runs on Chromecast (about a dozen chromecast, CCA, and google home devices across six or seven groups) and the groups functionality is very unstable. Groups just disappear and reappear as they wish. It is a well documented issue with no resolution.

Our primarily use case is background music throughout the whole house, playing from Spotify.

J

jirny

Audiophyte
Do you like your audio now?
Keep in mind 'vintage' speakers tend to be from the 60's. I'm not sure if these are what you have, but this is what I get when I look for B&W CM1 speakers:

I don't think the Sonos stuff is anything of an upgrade. You have a decent set of speakers and receiver and the rest. Do you have it connected to a TV, or are you just using it for audio listening? Sonos kind of works with a TV, but it's a long way from an AV receiver.

Do you use a universal remote to control things? If not, why?

I would get a Sonos Port and put it on your Denon and call it done. Especially if you are using Sonos elsewhere in your home.

Sonos is a expensive solution to whole house audio and they really don't have any really high end gear. Plus, it can be expensive to get things setup for only decent audio quality.
I had a look on the back of my speaker, and while it says CM1, it is actually a B&W Concept 90 (circa late 1980s I believe). It is a CM1 connected to a CM2 dual woofer low end cabinet.

We're converting the whole house to Sonos for stability and app usability (i.e. we mostly control things with our phones and don't want to have to deal with local, manual volume control or input switching on the reciever). Is there a workaround? Will Sonos port volume pass through allow me to control the Denon volume?

Most often these days the use case here is background music, occasional movies and TV.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis