Fed up with Netflix.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
ISP's can certainly throttle specific traffic. I've setup ISP's before. Everything from servers to routers to concentrators. It's a piece of cake.

Netflix offers a service to ISP's in that they will install a server, at Netflix's cost, so there is no back bone data on that ISP's pipe. TWC refuses to do this.
TWC??? Who what where?? :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I disagree with this assessment. If the ISP is throttling, then the other apps would be affected too, not just Netflix.....unless the ISP can select which app to throttl eback.
As it been mentioned above, ISP could easily throttling specific apps.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I was wondering if any of you knew of a decent streaming video service.

To give some background, I have been using Netflix for some years now. But their service is unreliable. When trying to watch a show, very frequently, it loads in HD, but after a short time, it drops out and reloads in a very low resolution form, and will not come back in HD. Netflix, of course, tries to blame anyone and everyone else, but when I use the same equipment to stream other HD materials, like the Smithsonian Channel and Vimeo, they work fine, even though both immediately before and immediately after, Netflix will not load in HD. So I know that it is BS that my equipment isn't up for HD, or that my network is at fault, or my internet connection is at fault. Also, whenever I have checked my internet speed when Netflix drops out, the online speed measurements (no matter which one I use) ALWAYS tells me my speed is vastly better than Netflix claims is necessary for HD. My guess is that Netflix is just not keeping up their server capacity for people to get HD during peak use times, but they, of course, admit nothing, and blame things that I know are fine.

So, are there any decent alternatives, or do I just need to give up on streaming much TV and movies?
Throttling of Internet streaming services is suddenly becoming a big issue. ISPs have started selectively downgrading the quality of certain providers, especially Netflix.

In the Twin Cities I have recently had trouble with Netflix from Comcast and so has one of my sons.

Whereas, here at the lake we have our own fantastic cooperative, Paul Bunyan.net. Here everything works perfectly and I get what I pay for.

Senator Al Franken of Minnesota wants this stopped, but Obumma wants to allow it.

We need the Internet open to all. If you are having this problem send a blistering letter to your ISP and to your congressional representatives.

Bring on Google. They want to provide Giganet Internet for all. Bring it on!

jinjuku

jinjuku

Throttling of Internet streaming services is suddenly becoming a big issue. ISPs have started selectively downgrading the quality of certain providers, especially Netflix.

In the Twin Cities I have recently had trouble with Netflix from Comcast and so has one of my sons.

Whereas, here at the lake we have our own fantastic cooperative, Paul Bunyan.net. Here everything works perfectly and I get what I pay for.

Senator Al Franken of Minnesota wants this stopped, but Obumma wants to allow it.

We need the Internet open to all. If you are having this problem send a blistering letter to your ISP and to your congressional representatives.

Bring on Google. They want to provide Giganet Internet for all. Bring it on!
If had the flexibility to move where ever I wanted I would either go to a location with Google Fiber or one of the many excellent municipal broad band efforts out there.

This whole pay to play for streaming services etc is for the birds. There's a reason for the $99/month I pay TWC for business class service. And it's not so they can determine the IEEE 802.16, 802.11 and the sub varients QOS for me. If I want QOS I enable it on my internal router. Which I do for my IP phone system. SIP traffic gets preference.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
pole ownership is the biggest obstacle google fiber faces. I so wish we had it here.

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
ISPs do throttle specific apps. They also are setting up earlier node content with supporting ISPs. Removing potential throttles. Netflix has insanely high bandwidth. It's Amazon level. Given this fact amazon prime is definitely the best alternative. Amazon prime has numerous other benefits.
It is definitely Amazon level since, you know, it is hosted by Amazon and all. haha

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I haven't had issues streaming Netflix or any other streaming media. However, being someone who just (tried to) cut the cord, I am somewhat concerned about it.

What concerns me even more is why I just can't get high speed internet at a good price? When I went to Comcast to turn in my dvr and request just internet it turned out to be $25 a month cheaper if I got a bundle which included a set-top box for cable (non HD!!! Unbelievable this is still available!). Therefore, I took the box. It's a nice ugly clock! My gf, who is with Century Link/Directtv, tried to do the same thing a few months back and found the same thing. I can't figure this out? Anyone know why? The only reason I can come up with is Comcast/CL-Dtv are getting advertising kick backs similar to web page advertising hits. Furthermore, it appears the smaller local providers are either using CL's or Comcast's infrastructure. Which means they're not offering any real competition.

To make matters worse, Comcast/CL-Direttv seem to benchmark each other, not compete with each other. And, to add insult to injury, before I brought back my DVR I had received a letter from Comcast saying they're raising my rate $2/month to bring local channels in HD (they've provided the local channels as long as I can remember too). This doesn't sound like month, but consider there are over $300k subscribers here for a net of >$7.2 million a year. For what? Infrastructure that's in place for 10+ years now. To me, this is more a ploy to keep their profits up while people like me cut the cord.

In my opinion, and sorry for the rant, the current system is broke. Something is wrong when they'll offer me cable/internet for $300 a year less than just internet. Which means, btw, they could offer me internet alone for even cheaper! Unless they're getting a kick back from somewhere, and then this implies a lot of their profit (and they are very profitable) comes from other sources than just supplying me internet or cable.

At this point all we have is a two party monopoly which only want to provide internet and tv and as such can improve their profits every year by passing along additional fees and possibly getting getting advertising dollars than selling more of their core products. It's a shame I can not go to a 100%, independent of these two, internet only provider in my area. It's time to split this scam up to TV providers and internet providers.

Again, sorry for the rant!

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
If you are a reader I have some more good news. You now get a library for your kindle.
Yes, I noticed that when I signed up. So far, it is working great, with everything I have watched so far in HD. Netflix still is misbehaving, with the same gear, trying both immediately before and after watching Amazon in HD. I think I will quit Netflix very soon. They will not be happy, as I have had it for several years, but if I do not get what I pay for, there is no point in paying for it.

Thanks again for your comments regarding Amazon Prime. Hopefully, it will continue to work well for me.

T

timmay8612

Audioholic
I haven't had any trouble with Netflix in the Twin Cities, but I'm a lucky customer with Charter, not Comcast. Just heard from a friend who is having trouble in Minneapolis with Comcast throttling his Netflix. This. Is. Wrong.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Is Netflix delivering movies in Dolby Digital? Just a few years ago while taking the Netflix free trial offer I discovered that I only received movies in stereo. I cancelled before the free trial expired since I want the whole movie experience.

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
Is Netflix delivering movies in Dolby Digital? Just a few years ago while taking the Netflix free trial offer I discovered that I only received movies in stereo. I cancelled before the free trial expired since I want the whole movie experience.
Yes they are.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
The Roku XS box I have I get Netflix only in Stereo and Amazon Prime in Dolby(If available). I get Netflix/Amazon Prime Dolby playback on my Sony BD player though.

vecc76

vecc76

Audioholic Intern
I have a couple of words for Comcast that I'll just keep to myself. Can you say monopoly? Just my opinion :cool:

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I wonder if Netflix got better on comcast now that they have signed an agreement with Netflix for direct peering

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It sucks that Netflix had to buy preferred service from Comcast. Anyone using Comcast needs to find another provider if at all possible. Vote with your dollars.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I wonder if Netflix got better on comcast now that they have signed an agreement with Netflix for direct peering
I believe it did.... All of a sudden no fuzzies. Which implies to me that they had the bandwidth all along. Unfortunately, by me the only other option is Centurylink, which I've subscribed to before and thought it was slower and less stable service. Plus I'm sure they're about to strike a similar deal with the Netflix.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis