Fed up!!! Full marty build has been a disaster

Eng-399

Eng-399

Audioholic Intern
Just use stick bracing inside the box with pl construction adhesive. That should work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I used to have a custom car guy who was great but he left the area. It is really hard to find good people. I may end up making them work but I will always have the thought of "should I have just redone them" or I may have another set made or even try my hand at it.
Are you Parts Express Techtalk? Or AVSforum? You could always put feelers out there. You might be surprised how many guys are within driving distance who could give you a hand or build for you for a little money and beer and food.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Just use stick bracing inside the box with pl construction adhesive. That should work

Which doesn't solve the mismatching driver cutout problems. Plus, if you haven't really woodworked before, and if you don't have the tools, cutting off the front baffle and installing new one's isn't exactly a walk in the park to make it look really good.

C

chucksrt

Audioholic
Which doesn't solve the mismatching driver cutout problems. Plus, if you haven't really woodworked before, and if you don't have the tools, cutting off the front baffle and installing new one's isn't exactly a walk in the park to make it look really good.
I am going to attach a 1x3 on the inside of the enclosure below the sub cutout and then find the center of the top cutout and make a jig to dremel the lower sheets opening. At least at that point I should be able to mount the woofer and see what I am dealing with sound wise.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
You may or may not be handy, but perhaps you know someone who is. In my city there is a fully equipped wordworking shop where you can go in and use everything, and they have everything big to small. I can't remember what they want but it seems to me $25/hour rings a bell. Maybe there is something like that where you live?

An alternative might be to just cut out the back panel, maybe leave 2~3 inches along each side, go in and do the appropriate bracing, etc, then add a new back panel sized to the outside dimensions. By screwing in the back panel (into the 2~3 inches you left of the original) instead of permanent adhesive, you can always access the insides of the cabinet to modify bracing, stuffing, etc. In my experience you want to be able to adjust any stuffing in conjunction with listening tests anyway, so it's not really a bad idea all around. Latex caulking (which is paintable) will provide a seal if you feel it's necessary and that is easily removable when necessary and you could just re-apply when you button everything up.

Fixing the out-of-round speaker baffle isn't a difficult job with a beer and some sandpaper and/ or a rasp, assuming there is enough "meat" to mount your driver in the routed hole. No need to get crazy, it will be hidden by the driver mounting flange anyway. If the routed area is also out-of-round, consider a grille cloth, etc.

If "perfect" is already not possible, at least functional is, without starting over, perhaps.

The photos don't look like the work of the cabinet makers I know, but maybe he's just a kitchen / bathroom guy who covers everything up with veneers and laminates and gets his doors and cabinets in a box from some factory.. I had a buddy and the two of use built some awesome speakers but he was a "finish carpenter" which is like a cabinet maker but only does kitchens and bathrooms and built-in cabinets in high end homes. Lower Units kind of like yours but with open baffle mid / tweeter in a separate half-cabinet on top. Apart from the size, they were very good sounding.

You really want someone who builds furniture out of solid wood, they get things like braces and flush corners right.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You are quick to throw shade at me for my role in this process without knowing everything I did to cover all of my bases. I gave him more info then he knew what to do with. You sound like a real pro and I'm happy for ya but i guess my guy wasn't you. Thanks for all of your help though but i think i am good without it.
You were the one throwing the shade initially :). Just sayin' you aren't blameless here. Maybe you did overload him, maybe it just wasn't the best plan for someone like him, maybe he's simply incompetent....time to actually DIY?

Eng-399

Eng-399

Audioholic Intern
I missed that part of the post were the cutouts were different that sucks!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis