Fed up!!! Full marty build has been a disaster

C

chucksrt

Audioholic
I set out to have some enclosures built for my Stereo integrity ht-18 subwoofers. I did the one thing I will never do again, and that was to have them built by a cabinet maker that I know. Not well but i know him. He messed up from day one, built them wrong, forgot to add bracing in the port. Then he doubled the MDF on the back panel to stiffen it to make up for the internal braces (I know it was wrong but he was not building new ones). Then I get them back and they look like he was wasted when he did them. Then I find that the subwoofer openings aren't even round and the subs do not fit properly. I am done with them and him and just want to know who is the right guy for a job like this? I live in Pa north of Philadelphia and just want to suck up my losses and start over with someone who can do this. Do any of you have a direction you can point me In? I am so frustrated. It's not worth anything other than telling the guy who built them that he screwed me and I'm done with him. Here is a pic of them but what you cant see is the missing brace in the rear vent and that he centered a brace so it obstructs the middle port.
IMG_20150618_141020361_HDR1.jpg

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Dont hire blind cabinet makers :eek: . Cut the front baffle off, add bracing, sand, add new baffle and route hole.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If you are willing to invest a little time (which you may enjoy), in any major city, call Rockler or Woodcraft and ask about any local Woodworking Associations or Woodworker's Guilds in the area. Find out when and where they meet and go to a meeting - which is most often a presentation of a unique technique or project. At the meeting pay attention to the guys that seem to know most everyone - they've been around for awhile. Explain what you are looking for (bring pictures) and your frustration with the guy you hired and ask him if he can recommend someone who could build (or rebuild) them right!
These groups are woodworkers who enjoy sharing their passion for working with wood. It is an interesting mix, ranging from professional production type workers to "gentrified" woodworking hobbiest; but the cabinets are not a hard project.
I don't understand why the Cabinet-maker you contracted with had any trouble. Maybe he never has done anything other than cabinets, but I generally expect any cabinet-maker to be a competent woodworker with the added benefit of being pretty experienced with finish work.

annunaki

annunaki

Sorry to hear of your issues. That stinks. Was your woodworker actually the one doing the work or did a shop hand do it?

Separately did your build plans call out the specifics of what was to be done? What sketches did you provide him?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Geeeezzz have you seen the cabinets he's built? maybe he's used to mucking things up and then just patching or finagling things so they look presentable?

Dang, if only you were a little closer I'd definitely give you a hand.

C

chucksrt

Audioholic
Sorry to hear of your issues. That stinks. Was your woodworker actually the one doing the work or did a shop hand do it?

Separately did your build plans call out the specifics of what was to be done? What sketches did you provide him?
After talking to him I believe he may have been a shop hand? That is not how he tried to make it sound but that was my read on him after because he had to do it as a side job at his shop which was why it took so long for him to finish.

I provided a cut sheet and pics of other builds and specified that if he had any questions to call me. He wanted as much info as I could provide him and I gave it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
After talking to him I believe he may have been a shop hand? That is not how he tried to make it sound but that was my read on him after because he had to do it as a side job at his shop which was why it took so long for him to finish.

I provided a cut sheet and pics of other builds and specified that if he had any questions to call me. He wanted as much info as I could provide him and I gave it.
Did the cut sheet include all the bracing?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Cabinet makers are not all competent. I had one build two cabinets for a pair of 3-way speakers. As requested, he used Baltic birch plywood to build them. But he veneered them using carpenter's glue rather than contact glue. One spot on top of one of the enclosures got unglued after a short period.
That's not all. When I installed the drivers, I noticed that he had done a sloppy job with the interior bracing which I had clearly specified to him. Those enclosures had cost me over $3,000 to build and were designed to be sold for more than $7,000. Their performance was outstanding according to several audiophiles, and some audiophools as well. I am sure that, if someone pays a high sum for speaker cabinets, there is a temptation to have a look at the interior and see how they were built. For that flaw in the interior construction, I couldn't sell them with a reasonable profit margin.
Someone should make sure of the quality of the work done by a cabinet maker before signing a building agreement.

C

chucksrt

Audioholic
Then that's not all the bracing....
I am just noticing that from the pic. I definitely gave him other step by step build pics for assistance. So if there was any question he still should have come to me.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I am just noticing that from the pic. I definitely gave him other step by step build pics for assistance. So if there was any question he still should have come to me.
I think you expected a bit much in this case. Not really what I'd call a clear set of directions....and to an extent if he were really professional he wouldn't have gone with such. Just sayin'....

C

chucksrt

Audioholic
I think you expected a bit much in this case. Not really what I'd call a clear set of directions....and to an extent if he were really professional he wouldn't have gone with such. Just sayin'....
I just expected a woodworker to know what to do or ask me what I wanted if he was unclear. What I have shared as directions is not the only thing I gave him to go by. I spent days forwarding links which he said he wanted so this went off without a hitch. I just want quality work. Just an example. The cutout for the subwoofer is way off. Almost as if he cut them separately then glued them together. They are not centered over each other. The list goes on. I expect better! Just sayin'

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just expected a woodworker to know what to do or ask me what I wanted if he was unclear. What I have shared as directions is not the only thing I gave him to go by. I spent days forwarding links which he said he wanted so this went off without a hitch. I just want quality work. Just an example. The cutout for the subwoofer is way off. Almost as if he cut them separately then glued them together. They are not centered over each other. The list goes on. I expect better! Just sayin'
Well I did say if he was professional ;) In building several subs I have had no issues with dual routered baffle layers matching up very nicely....and that was on my first uses of my router.... DIY is one way to control things. An incomplete plan and cut list...meh. Caveat emptor.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Was he given both a cut list and CAD with comment/markup (or google sketchup)? If so it should be paint by numbers.

You could also check with a customer car stereo shop that does custom cabinets for car subs.

C

chucksrt

Audioholic
Well I did say if he was professional ;) In building several subs I have had no issues with dual routered baffle layers matching up very nicely....and that was on my first uses of my router.... DIY is one way to control things. An incomplete plan and cut list...meh. Caveat emptor.
You are quick to throw shade at me for my role in this process without knowing everything I did to cover all of my bases. I gave him more info then he knew what to do with. You sound like a real pro and I'm happy for ya but i guess my guy wasn't you. Thanks for all of your help though but i think i am good without it.

C

chucksrt

Audioholic
Was he given both a cut list and CAD with comment/markup (or google sketchup)? If so it should be paint by numbers.

You could also check with a customer car stereo shop that does custom cabinets for car subs.
I used to have a custom car guy who was great but he left the area. It is really hard to find good people. I may end up making them work but I will always have the thought of "should I have just redone them" or I may have another set made or even try my hand at it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis