Favorite sounding live albums.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LOL I was looking thru this thread late last night and was wondering why this one hadn't been mentioned yet and then started listening to a couple of live albums...

Some of my other favorites are:
Janis Joplin with Big Brother & The Holding Company - Live at Winterland '68
It's a Beautiful Day - Live at The Fillmore '68
Hot Tuna - And Furthurmore
DiMiola, McLaughlin & DeLucia - A Friday Night in San Francisco
Big Head Todd and The Monsters - Live at the Fillmore
Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles - Live
Dan Hicks and The Hot Licks - Live at Davies Symphony Hall
Grateful Dead - Europe '72
any of the KFOG "Live from the Archives" series
(guess my San Francisco roots are showing :) )
John McLaughlin - The Heart of Things: Live in Paris
several of the MTV "Unplugged" series

Not even sure how much of my classical collection isn't live.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
One of my personal favorites, Eagles: Hell Freezes Over. They must post-process the heck out of their stuff to get it to sound this good.

Last edited:
Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
LOL I was looking thru this thread late last night and was wondering why this one hadn't been mentioned yet and then started listening to a couple of live albums...

Some of my other favorites are:
Janis Joplin with Big Brother & The Holding Company - Live at Winterland '68
It's a Beautiful Day - Live at The Fillmore '68
Hot Tuna - And Furthurmore
DiMiola, McLaughlin & DeLucia - A Friday Night in San Francisco
Big Head Todd and The Monsters - Live at the Fillmore
Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles - Live
Dan Hicks and The Hot Licks - Live at Davies Symphony Hall
Grateful Dead - Europe '72
any of the KFOG "Live from the Archives" series
(guess my San Francisco roots are showing :) )
John McLaughlin - The Heart of Things: Live in Paris
several of the MTV "Unplugged" series

Not even sure how much of my classical collection isn't live.
Oh Man, I haven't seen some of these bands/titles mentioned since I went through my vinyl collection prior to getting rid of it as I moved up to CD. A trip down memory lane for sure.

Janis Joplin w Big Brother : wow. It's a Beautiful Day : I haven't seen them mentioned since the 1970s. Another wow. Al DMiiola another stand out. Carlos Santana : still on my rotation today, still one of my favorites. The only unfamiliar one to me is the Grateful Dead. That's on purpose. I was never a Dead head. But if you're from the Bay Area, I suppose its unavoidable.

What a great list.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Another variation on Pink Floyd. Delicate Sound of Thunder.
I saw Pink Floyd in concert while they were in this set list/era.
One of the finest concerts I personally have witnessed.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
One more and I'll give you guys a rest. This will show you how long I've been listening to music.
Longer than this albums date, but this was my first "real date" with a girl. We went and saw Steppenwolf during their heyday with Born to be Wild and Magic Carpet Ride. 1968 I believe, or thereabouts.
This album was released in 1970. Still a great live sound after all these years.

Paudio

Paudio

Junior Audioholic
Here is good one, brand new;
http://www.soundliaison.com/studio-masters/253-bach-live-edition-1

You do not see that very often, a classical live recording.
Maybe that's why the music sounds so fresh and real.
Sound quality is impeccable. It is as being there at the first row.
Higly recommended!

“The recording was made with a main pair of matched DPA microphones in an A/B configuration. Our DPA mics have a completely identical frequency response, securing a very stable and well defined stereo image. We had spot microphones on each one of the musicians. The distance of the spot microphones were meticulously measured in relationship to the main pair and the distance was then compensated for in the mix. We always use a great deal of time perfecting the phase between the spot microphones and the main pair in order to secure a completely focused stereo recording that clearly implement the depths of the acoustics of the church and vividly portrays each instruments placement in the stereo field.”
Torsten Jessen, recording engineer.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh Man, I haven't seen some of these bands/titles mentioned since I went through my vinyl collection prior to getting rid of it as I moved up to CD. A trip down memory lane for sure.

Janis Joplin w Big Brother : wow. It's a Beautiful Day : I haven't seen them mentioned since the 1970s. Another wow. Al DMiiola another stand out. Carlos Santana : still on my rotation today, still one of my favorites. The only unfamiliar one to me is the Grateful Dead. That's on purpose. I was never a Dead head. But if you're from the Bay Area, I suppose its unavoidable.

What a great list.
Funny you say that about GD. I worked on the Europe 72 tour (doing international logistics from SF) and had gone out to their place in Marin county and met everyone, but wasn't a fan at the time. I had heard only one record of theirs at that point, a friend really liked American Beauty but it didn't do a lot for me at the time. Even after getting a complimentary copy of Europe72 it didn't get played much. It was many years later before I got kinda hooked and went to my first show with a brother's friend who was a traveling deadhead....and funny it turned out that one of my best friends in high school was family with Bob Weir but we didn't know it at the time....Bob had been given up for adoption...

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Another indication I've been listening to music far too long. I pulled this chestnut out the other evening and was surprised at how good the recording quality is for the time frame. As long ago as this was, Neil Diamond is still touring today. He still entertains.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Another indication I've been listening to music far too long. I pulled this chestnut out the other evening and was surprised at how good the recording quality is for the time frame. As long ago as this was, Neil Diamond is still touring today. He still entertains.
I worked for Neil many years, very nice man. Heard him on one of the late night shows recently....he's still got it. That man gets more panties and room keys thrown on stage than you would believe....

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Here's a tribute to my mom. My mom played music all the time around the house when we were kids. She shared her music with us and while I didn't appreciate it at the time, a lot of the artists she loved I grew to love as well. Here is one of my all time favorites. I challenge you to listen to this and not smile. Its impossible to listen to a banjo and not smile. Yeah baby, early 1960's folk music coming your way

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Here's a tribute to my mom. My mom played music all the time around the house when we were kids. She shared her music with us and while I didn't appreciate it at the time, a lot of the artists she loved I grew to love as well. Here is one of my all time favorites. I challenge you to listen to this and not smile. Its impossible to listen to a banjo and not smile. Yeah baby, early 1960's folk music coming your way

I went to a concert of theirs with my parents when I was a kid! My mom also loved them....

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I worked for Neil many years, very nice man. Heard him on one of the late night shows recently....he's still got it. That man gets more panties and room keys thrown on stage than you would believe....
you worked for Neil Diamond? That's fantastic ! Neil provided the sound track to my high school courting years. All the girls I dated loved the guy. My wife loves the guy. My daughters and grand daughters love the guy. I will wager he could start his own lingerie company with what he's received/still receiving.

Not only that, I like a lot of his music. I don't play it as much anymore, but I know I've filled lots of hours with it over the years.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
you worked for Neil Diamond? That's fantastic ! Neil provided the sound track to my high school courting years. All the girls I dated loved the guy. My wife loves the guy. My daughters and grand daughters love the guy. I will wager he could start his own lingerie company with what he's received/still receiving.

Not only that, I like a lot of his music. I don't play it as much anymore, but I know I've filled lots of hours with it over the years.
He had these cool offices with a pool....it was a converted motel in Hollywood....he is also a great dad, btw (I think I was kept as busy with things he bought overseas for the kid as I was with the international tours I worked on :) ). Have you ever seen Saving Silverman?

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
He had these cool offices with a pool....it was a converted motel in Hollywood....he is also a great dad, btw (I think I was kept as busy with things he bought overseas for the kid as I was with the international tours I worked on :) ). Have you ever seen Saving Silverman?
yes. Although I do not remember it well. I also saw the Jazz Singer. The one thing I remember about Neil that made me laugh was him talking about making Christmas albums. He's Jewish by birth.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
artists with a huge catalog have the advantage of playing some of their classics with a new twist.
sometimes its a bust, but sometimes it really hits the mark and can be better than the original.
here's one that maybe better than the original.

ERIC CLAPTON WHITE ROOM

Check out the drummer, Steve Jordan. If you don't like his drummin', you just don't like drummin.:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis