Farscape: Peacekeeper Wars Miniseries on Sci-Fi Oct 17th

Farscape returns as an all new, four-hour mini-series, "Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars". Produced by Hallmark Entertainment and The Jim Henson Company, the mini-series was written by series creator Rockne S. O'Bannon and executive producer David Kemper, and was directed by Brian Henson. Apple has the Farscape trailer available for viewing via QuickTime.

Farscape "The Peacekeeper Wars" will air in the US on SCI FI starting October 17, 2004. In addition, you can gear up for the new miniseries by watching all 88 episodes of Farscape, airing in order every weekday from 9AM-4PM ET/PT, Oct. 1 through Oct. 15.

Watch the Trailer on Apple.com

Synopsis

Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars continues the adventures of astronaut John Crichton and his intergalactic comrades. Newly engaged and expectant parents John Crichton (Ben Browder) and Aeryn Sun (Claudia Black) have been chased around the galaxy, have fallen in love and now all they want is for their baby to be born and live in peace. However they’ll first have to survive an all-out galactic war between the Scarrans and Peacekeepers as well as a myriad of outlandish and unexpected surprises that have become the hallmark of this award-winning series.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I've been drooling with anticipation for months! Farscape rocked- definately among the best shows ever aired. I have all four seasons on DVD (great picture & remixed for DD), and I actually just finished watching the series again a couple weeks ago.

It sure would be cool if the miniseries is popular enough to resurrect the series, although I'm not holding my breath...

They just released the Season 3 boxed set so my wife and I are looking to pick that up (we have 1 and 2). Definitely one of the best, most original shows ever to hit TV. Talk about character development - this show does away with all stereotypes and "quick and easy" plot devices and actually takes the time to do it right.

Remember Season 1 - they hated and distrusted each other for like half the season. Any other TV series would have had everyone being best buddies by the end of the first hour.

No way they'll resurrect the series unless half the world writes in or telephones them... the show was more expensive than the advertising could compensate for as I understand it. I'm just glad they coudl do a better job of wrapping it all up - though I wish it was a 12 hour miniseries instead of 4-hours.

D

DaemonJ

Audiophyte
It was reported that each episode of Farscape cost around $1M, which is extremely high for a series.

As a perspective, Stargate SG-1 typically runs $450K per episode, which is probably the reason why Sci-Fi is using SG-1 to fill in a lot of holes.

Hopefully the mini-series will be as genius as the show but I do not expect the show to return anytime soon so long as it carries that high of a price tag. That is a pity too because Farscape was an excellent show.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Yeah, I'm not getting my hopes up. Farscape is pretty expensive, but it's so vastly better than the unbearably-cheesey SG1. :eek: Especially in terms of the special effects, writing and acting.

B

BuddTX

Audioholic
Rob Babcock said:
. . . vastly better than the unbearably-cheesey SG1. :eek: Especially in terms of the special effects, writing and acting.
Rob,

Don't mess with my Stargate!

While I still like Star Trek, SG has become my favorite.

One on the nice things, is the ability of them to make fun of themselves, both with special episodes (WormHole eXtreme, the episode where the two scientists "help" SG1 when they get captured by the Gou'ld" "How can you not call your self a scientist, and not worship at the alter of Roddenberry?" "Help them, we are scientists, not military, we might as well be wearing red shirts!"), and ad general humor in serious episodes (There was an"awkward moment" between Carter and O'Neil in the eleavator when discussing Carter's Romantic life, and Carter started Humming the theme from Stargate! - O'Neil often makes Homer Simpson quotes, and noises!).

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Rob Babcock said:
Yeah, I'm not getting my hopes up. Farscape is pretty expensive, but it's so vastly better than the unbearably-cheesey SG1. :eek: Especially in terms of the special effects, writing and acting.
Stargate, ack! :);

I loved the original movie with Kurt Russel. However, the series sells the movie short by a long shot IMO. The 1st couple of seasons of Stargate series were pretty good, but it's really turned sour to my stomach in the last few seasons.

But I don't pretend that my opinion is worth much; I thought Solider(w/kurt russel) was a 3 and 1/2 star caliber movie. Everyone else seems to not think much of that flick...... :-D

-Chris

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I won't overly bash SG1- it's just not my cup of tea. The only decent & compelling visual effect is the really cool "stargate sequence" they lifted from the movie. The rest of the CGI is really low-rent, IMO.

My main problem is their bizarre choice in casting "McGyver" to play O'Neil. I'll say from the outset that there was no reason to have the same characters (O'Neil & Daniel) when you have them played by other actors. It totally queers the deal for me. Apparently there's more than one "stargate team" anyway, so why not have McGvyer just be a different character leading another group?

Anyway, I won't totally claim the high ground; I really loved "LEXX", and the effects are awful in that series! But I think they're deliberately bad, as that show is a dark comedy type of thing.

BTW, I will concede the Carter chick is a hottie. :D

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Rob Babcock said:
My main problem is their bizarre choice in casting "McGyver" to play O'Neil. I'll say from the outset that there was no reason to have the same characters (O'Neil & Daniel) when you have them played by other actors. It totally queers the deal for me. Apparently there's more than one "stargate team" anyway, so why not have McGvyer just be a different character leading another group?
That IS odd. The Daniel character is still pretty similar to the movie version, except the movie version was depicted as a genius...the one in the series is not really depicted that way. Makes me wonder why he's there?!?! O'neil character---wow---MacGyver, uhm..I mean what's his name(hehe) is nothing like the O'neil that Kurt Russell played. Russel played a strong, dominant and determined character where as what's his name plays an indecisive wimp(IMHO).

Anyway, I won't totally claim the high ground; I really loved "LEXX", and the effects are awful in that series! But I think they're deliberately bad, as that show is a dark comedy type of thing.
Yes, I loved LEXX. Excellent show with bad effects. :) Did you like the original low-rent movie that spawned the series?

BTW, I will concede the Carter chick is a hottie. :D
You know, when ever I see her, I think of her name(Amanda Tapping) and the last name, well, just elicits this inappropriate thought. hehe.

Hey, the Xev chic on LEXX is not too hard on the eyes, either. :)

-Chris

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

That's the problem to me- there's a disconnect between the movie & tv characters. Mostly though, changing actors but retaining the same characters just doesn't work for me very often. Sure, we understand that James Bond will be whatever actor they can sign for three movies, but I feel there was no reason to keep the movie characters when the original actors weren't available. Keeping the same character names really adds nothing, but it does blow my "suspension of disbelief."

I loved the LEXX movies (it was originally a four part miniseries, later made into a series). The actress who originally played "Zev Bellringer" in the miniseries, Eva Habermann, was pretty damn hot too, although Xenia Seeberg is a worthy replacement. The SCI Fi Lexx boards indicate they might be bringing it back, but I don't know.

I'm a HUGE scifi fan; among my favorite shows: Space- Above & Beyond, Star Trek TNG, Voyager, Babylon 5, Lexx, Buffy & Farscape. B5 is a bit more dated than most, effects-wise, and I never really liked the Boxlietner character (although I like the actor, in other things). It was also very innovative & original, with compelling characters and a good story told in serial fashion.

One of the best aspects of Farscape is the well developed and well written characters. In most shows, John would just be a Han-solo type character, swashbuckling thru the universe amorally, or we'd assume his actions were justified since he's "the good guy." But Crighton always retains his humanity, and he never takes lightly the taking of a life, no matter how alien. Even the most inhuman of aliens get his respect. He's not just a two fisted action guy, and we seen him grapple with the consequences of his actions- something most sci fi doesn't portray at all.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Rob Babcock said:
That's the problem to me- there's a disconnect between the movie & tv characters. Mostly though, changing actors but retaining the same characters just doesn't work for me very often.
I agree. Does not work for me, either.

I loved the LEXX movies (it was originally a four part miniseries, later made into a series).
I've only seen the first of these. I did not realize their were 3 more. Time to go a' renting.... :)

The actress who originally played "Zev Bellringer" in the miniseries, Eva Habermann, was pretty damn hot too, although Xenia Seeberg is a worthy replacement. The SCI Fi Lexx boards indicate they might be bringing it back, but I don't know.
Would be nice to have it back, but they killed of a critical character in the series finale(Kai). BTW, I HATE INPLAUSIBLE RESURECTIONS. Ruins it for me.

I'm a HUGE scifi fan; among my favorite shows:
I love sci-fi as well, but their is not much that I enjoy.

Space- Above & Beyond,
I could never get into that one.

Star Trek TNG, Voyager,
I did enjoy TNG. I sort of liked Voyager, but the primary reason I watched was probably to see 7 of 9. :)

Babylon 5,
Could not get into it...

I did like this show until they killed her off when it changed networks. I thougt the WB finale was really good, actually. The resurection crap --- I could not watch the show after this. Some things just don't work for me.

One of the best aspects of Farscape is the well developed and well written characters. In most shows, John would just be a Han-solo type character, swashbuckling thru the universe amorally, or we'd assume his actions were justified since he's "the good guy." But Crighton always retains his humanity, and he never takes lightly the taking of a life, no matter how alien. Even the most inhuman of aliens get his respect. He's not just a two fisted action guy, and we seen him grapple with the consequences of his actions- something most sci fi doesn't portray at all.
I did appreciate the personality realism they maintand ni this series. It will be missed. But I won't miss the mini-series! Speaking of mini-series.... I can't wait for the Earthsea mini-series coming in late 2004 on Sci-Fi. That has alot of potential.

-Chris

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Next to the pathetic excuse for a finale 'Scape fans had to endure, I'd say Lexx was #2 on the crappy finale meter. What a load! :mad: Killing Kai in that manner served no purpose, and Prince & the whaco president flying off- WTF was up with that? In Lexx, there is no such thing as "implausible." They established that there are only so many "genotypes" (forget the term Lexx used) in universe, and they were constantly running into "copies" of individuals. I'd suggest that merely pretending the crappy last episode ever occured would be the best option (like I did with "Highlander 2" ;) ).

The first 4 original Lexx movies were VERY hard to find for awhile, but there must be a new source/reissue/asian reissue, because I'm starting to see them now. They're out on DVD but difficult to track down. On the up side, Eva shows a bit more skin that Xenia! :D

As much as I loved "Buffy", the main character did develop "Alley McBeal Syndrom" as the show went on. I was getting tired of seeing here mope down the lane with sad music playing, constantly weeping over some guy. And the resurrection was goofy, but again, in a show like that it's never really implausible. Anway, there was only two seasons after that. I really thought the first 3 seasons were best- it was never as good after they graduated HS.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I guess we'll have to disagree about the plausbility of resurections in these shows...... :-D

For LEXX, let's say they did 'find' Kai again, he would have to be a completely different characters. No longer a de-carbonized lifeform. He would have 'emotions' per say. I don't see any way to fix that one. THe old pretend it never happend trick? LOL

I tried that with Transormers. After Beast Machines, it was ruined for me. Probably forever. Hopefully that new movie will be faithful to the 80's TV show history/mythology.

-Chris

Rob Babcock said:
Next to the pathetic excuse for a finale 'Scape fans had to endure, I'd say Lexx was #2 on the crappy finale meter. What a load! :mad: Killing Kai in that manner served no purpose, and Prince & the whaco president flying off- WTF was up with that? In Lexx, there is no such thing as "implausible." They established that there are only so many "genotypes" (forget the term Lexx used) in universe, and they were constantly running into "copies" of individuals. I'd suggest that merely pretending the crappy last episode ever occured would be the best option (like I did with "Highlander 2" ;) ).

The first 4 original Lexx movies were VERY hard to find for awhile, but there must be a new source/reissue/asian reissue, because I'm starting to see them now. They're out on DVD but difficult to track down. On the up side, Eva shows a bit more skin that Xenia! :D

As much as I loved "Buffy", the main character did develop "Alley McBeal Syndrom" as the show went on. I was getting tired of seeing here mope down the lane with sad music playing, constantly weeping over some guy. And the resurrection was goofy, but again, in a show like that it's never really implausible. Anway, there was only two seasons after that. I really thought the first 3 seasons were best- it was never as good after they graduated HS.

WmAx said:
But I don't pretend that my opinion is worth much; I thought Solider(w/kurt russel) was a 3 and 1/2 star caliber movie. Everyone else seems to not think much of that flick...... :-D
I loved that movie as well - it was very underrated by all IMHO.

Karp

Karp

Audioholic
I really like/d Star Trek NG. I liked the first few episodes of Voyager, although it got old fast. I LOVE the newer Enterprise series. It seems to have just the right mix of the original ST and NG... Nice lookin' babes on it too! (to be unpolitically correct).

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I tried to watch Enterprise, even hung in there for a season and a half, but the unbearable dullness finally got me. Scott Bacula is a good actor (I didn't think so until I saw "Lord of Illusion", btw), but the Archer character is pathetic. He reminds me of a substitute teacher. And the stuff with the Xindi- yikes! :eek: What a cheesy antagonist.

I know the producers knew they needed some sizzle to try to prop up sagging ratings, and a war can do that (a la "Deep Space Nine"). But I still don't like it, and the "Temporal Cold War" crap has pushed me beyond my ability to endure it. Likewise, I know they were trying to install a backbone in Archer, but instead of driven and hard, he comes across as desperate & pathetic.

There are some good characters in the show; I like Malcom & Trip, and of course T'Pol is a major hottie. But as much as I wanted to like it, and really tried to give it a chance, I've given it up for dead. To bad as the concept was mildly interesting and the effects are extremely good.

Btw, WTF is up with that nasueating theme song? That's simply the worst. :mad:

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Rob Babcock said:
I tried to watch Enterprise, even hung in there for a season and a half, but the unbearable dullness finally got me.
A whole season, eh. :) I made it through, I think 3 or 4 episodes. I could no longer bare that POS. I admit, before it started, hearing about it, I thought it might be something more similar to original ST, especially considering the supposed timeline, etc.. My mistake, I suppose.

Do you know one thing that REALLY bothered me(though it's a small detail)? The appearance of the Klingons. Enteprise is supposed to be before orginal ST, so the Klingons should have the old-school 'look'. I really would not even be bothered by this, but on an episode of Star Treak: Deep Space 9(one where they went back in time and played into an old ST episode(the trouble with tribbles)) they went through the trouble of acknowleding the Klingons used to look different in one episide, and Worf just said it was something they prefer not to talk about. So, why do the Klingons look like the 'new' kind in pre-ST timeline? Small things like that drive me mad. :-D

But, that Vulcan chic is a hottie, I agree. :D

-Chris

Last edited:
O

outsider

Audioholic
I have just recently started watching Farscape on DVD --Netflix is a wonderful thing-- and I'm about to finish Season 1. So far I love the series; wish I could've seen it when it was actually on the air.
So, a question for those of you who have seen the entire series, do you recommend finishing the entire Farscape series before I watch the new mini-series? I was thinking I might just record and then watch them a few months from now.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Definately- it really should be watched in order if you really want to understand it. Plus you'll spoil all the mystery if you cut to the new mini without catching all the reg episodes.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis