external sub amp question

Andon

Andon

Audioholic
I owned the Yamaha PX3 for about a week when I wrote those posts on AH. I was playing around with the increment changes for the HPF. That's how I knew the increments were 0.5 to 0.6 Hz apart.

For Sub amp, I would go with the PX3 for sure.
So I can use the pX3 with the ported subs for now and move the amp to the Daytons in the future?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What I mean is, if you're bypassing the plate amp, then it becomes a passive sub. :D
You just don't have to mention it. All subs are passive to some degree, just depends where the amp is :) If someone's dumb enough to hook an external amp up to an active sub's inputs....well, darwinism and all that.

Andon

Andon

Audioholic
Yes, passive. Plate amps will be removed completely, the hols will be covered with metal plate.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, passive. Plate amps will be removed completely, the hols will be covered with metal plate.
You could just leave 'em in place, too....just mount a terminal on. Altho if I had the exact plates ready to go....but I don't have a metal shop :)

Andon

Andon

Audioholic
You could just leave 'em in place, too....just mount a terminal on. Altho if I had the exact plates ready to go....but I don't have a metal shop :)
LOL, I work at car shop so cutting two metal plates to size will not be a problem. Will order the XP3 in the next day or two. and will run the subs one on each channel.

Andon

Andon

Audioholic
LOL, I work at car shop so cutting two metal plates to size will not be a problem. Will order the XP3 in the next day or two. and will run the subs one on each channel.
sorry, PX3

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Yamaha PX3 also has a Parametric EQ in case you want to boost the bass from 40Hz-80Hz by 1dB to 3dB.

That's what I do on my Yamaha CX-A5100 pre-pro. :D

Andon

Andon

Audioholic
Well, yesturday I watched a movie and it hit me, whay not just get a miniDSP, and use the two Outlaw 200 that I have? They are rated at 300 wats @ 4 ohms, exactly as much as the subs are rated. If I lake what I hear good, if not a mini DSP is always good to have!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, yesturday I watched a movie and it hit me, whay not just get a miniDSP, and use the two Outlaw 200 that I have? They are rated at 300 wats @ 4 ohms, exactly as much as the subs are rated. If I lake what I hear good, if not a mini DSP is always good to have!
Just don't push it too hard with low frequency content unfiltered....but those amps would work.....

ps Just reread that for some reason I thought the minidsp was an option for later.....yes, a minidsp would be a good way to go, might check the needed input level for max output on those amps, tho (and the relatively limited output levels of minidsp products).

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The beautiful thing about passive subs (and speakers) is that you can practically use any external amp (with sufficient power).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Get the 2x4 HD. It has higher preout levels and there are a larger number of bands you can adjust with it.
It does have a nicer feature set but still is limited to 2V output....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis