External DAC with Denon 3808ci

B

Bobatnetcom

Audiophyte
I need some help with my Denon 3808ci setup. I would like to bypass the Denon internal DACs for the 2 front channels with an external 2 channel DAC, but still use the Denon amplifiers to drive my front speakers. Is this possible, and if so, how would I do it? My external DAC has an optical SPDIF input and RCA jack outputs.

Thanks for the help.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Welcome to AH.

Why are you trying to do this? Waste of time and $$$. Benefit is nil.

B

Bobatnetcom

Audiophyte
When I listen to CDs, or any music coming from my main front speakers, I would like to use better DACs than the Denon internal DACs. Since I already own the Denon AVR, the cost of improving my sound would only be the cost of a decent external DAC $.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
When I listen to CDs, or any music coming from my main front speakers, I would like to use better DACs than the Denon internal DACs. Since I already own the Denon AVR, the cost of improving my sound would only be the cost of a decent external DAC $.
To bypass the internal DAC you will have to use analog input and use direct or pure direct mode. If you use stereo mode, it may work too but as soon as you use any bass management it will be routed to the ADC/DSP/DAC path.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I need some help with my Denon 3808ci setup. I would like to bypass the Denon internal DACs for the 2 front channels with an external 2 channel DAC, but still use the Denon amplifiers to drive my front speakers. Is this possible, and if so, how would I do it? My external DAC has an optical SPDIF input and RCA jack outputs.

Thanks for the help.
Using the ext-in inputs on the 3808 is using that avr as amp.... but the dac is not likely to be even different....

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

How do you know that the Denon dac is inferior?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW I do have a 3808 and have actually experimented with two external dacs....made no difference. Plus I'd rather access more of the avr's facilities than using ext-in. Those inputs are more for multich from an optical disc player that didn't have hdmi.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The problem is that it will have ZERO chance of improving your sound. The DAC in your receiver is excellent. You have been reading Audiophool publications. Stay here for

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Thanks for the help.
Curious, how long have you had the 3808? What leads you to go this way of thinking?

B

Bobatnetcom

Audiophyte
Thanks for all the comments; I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

I’ve had the good fortune to listen to and compare many external DACs from multiple manufacturers. I can say with 100% certainty that the newer DACs from AKM and ESS are glaringly better than the ones in the Denon 3808 that I’ve owned for several years.

Since the 3808 handles most of my AVR needs and since my 2 front speakers handle the majority of my music playback, I thought if I could simply use an external DAC for these 2 channels, I could put off for a bit the purchase of a new AVR with ESS or AKM DACs inside. But since it looks like this is not possible, I’ll probably be in the AVR market soon.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
As was mentioned, the 3808 is equipped with EXT IN 7.1 analog ports. Simply connect the analog cables from the external DAC to the FL and FR EXT. IN ports to bypass all processing by the receiver. The external DAC can be left connected for good and you can simply select EXT. IN as the input source to listen to your source device through the external DAC.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan

I’ve had the good fortune to listen to and compare many external DACs from multiple manufacturers. I can say with 100% certainty that the newer DACs from AKM and ESS are glaringly better than the ones in the Denon 3808 that I’ve owned for several years.

Since the 3808 handles most of my AVR needs and since my 2 front speakers handle the majority of my music playback, I thought if I could simply use an external DAC for these 2 channels, I could put off for a bit the purchase of a new AVR with ESS or AKM DACs inside. But since it looks like this is not possible, I’ll probably be in the AVR market soon.
Better measurably, yes. Better audibly, like not. Even if you use the best measurable DAC chip, it doesn't always mean that it will matter as there are other issues at play in most cases. You're probably overthinking it unless you have speakers that have insanely high sensitivity.

B

Bobatnetcom

Audiophyte
Both the specific DAC and its implementation are important and I agree that great measurements do not guarantee great audio quality. As I said in an earlier post, I’ve had the good fortune to listen to a lot of DACs and there are definitely audio differences irrespective of the audio measurements - I’ve heard DACs with lower measurements sound better than other DACs with higher measurements. But the newer DACs in some of the latest AVRs sound better than the DACs in my 3808 and I’m just trying to see what is the best approach to improve the sound of my music.

My speakers are B&W 801s.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Why is it not possible? I have done that many times.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
As was mentioned, the 3808 is equipped with EXT IN 7.1 analog ports. Simply connect the analog cables from the external DAC to the FL and FR EXT. IN ports to bypass all processing by the receiver. The external DAC can be left connected for good and you can simply select EXT. IN as the input source to listen to your source device through the external DAC.
He is talking about 2 channel only. There is no need to use ext in, just use analog input and direct mode will do.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, of course. But, with just the two channels into the EXT. IN, there is no chance of any processing being done by accidental selection of a different sound mode. It will be a same in same out affair using EXT. IN with only volume adjustments available when using it. Pure Direct may still be selectable to turn off the video processing.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, of course. But, with just the two channels into the EXT. IN, there is no chance of any processing being done by accidental selection of a different sound mode. It will be a same in same out affair using EXT. IN with only volume adjustments available when using it. Pure Direct may still be selectable to turn off the video processing.
That's true.

B

Bobatnetcom

Audiophyte
My problem is not feeding the analog from the DAC to the 3808; that’s the easy part. I can easily send the optical S/PDIF from my DVD/CD player to the DAC and then use either the analog in or the external in from the DAC to the 3808.

But I’d also like to listen to audio from the DAC on my main speakers when I’m watching TV, which has the audio in the HDMI signal, or streaming from my PC. How do I tell the 3808 to send the front two channels of digital audio to the DAC, and how do I tell the 3808 to process any other channels except for these two front channels which are now feeding in through the external in or the analog in?

I think I’m coming to the conclusion that this probably isn’t possible and a new AVR with better DACs is in my future.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Well, you cannot guarantee this unless you can compare them under credible bias controlled(DBT) testing with statistically significant outcome over and over again.
I doubt that is what you did.
Yes, you perceived something that was due to bias and no testing protocol.

But, in the end, you have your answer and just pick one that you think is better.
Or, as you just stated, wait for that golden AVR.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis